Luka Doncic Rookie of the Year

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dallas’ Luka Doncic won ROY with 98 of the 100 first place votes.

Deandre Ayton finishes third in ROY voting.

Who here still thinks Ayton will have a better NBA career than Doncic?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If coached properly and paired with a competent NBA point guard, I still think Ayton.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Doncic will be better, but as much as I hate Ayton's passivity, he had a statistically historic rookie season. Still too early to tell.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Doncic winning ROY was predicted before the season started by many Ayton fans. Luka came in a seasoned pro. It was kinda obvious who had the advantage.

Ayton was also put in an awkward Offense that didn't highlight his abilities. That changes this year with Monty.

I still have Ayton as the better prospect.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Since Ayton already has a better career, I will say Ayton

Doncic: 42.7% shooting EFG of 49.7% PER 19.6 and 4.8 Win Shares

Ayton: 58.5% shooting. EFG of 58.5% PER 20.5 and 5.8 Win Shares

Doncic: 107 offensive rating 109 defensive Rating

Ayton: 117 Offensive Rating and 113 Defensive Rating

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Luka had the ball so much more than Ayton that it wasn't even fair, heck it wasn't fair before they even set foot on the court this past season. Everyone had Luka picked already. I still think Ayton will have a better career once he gets going despite some passivity. Luka i believe is closer to his ceiling, lets hope Ayton reaches his.

I really believe Ayton should have won it. Mavs have a great coach.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't just pick and choose stats there either.

Ayton had a better season by most accepted basketball analytics despite the team having no ability to get him the ball and 50% less usage that Doncic.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Doncic put up superficially fancier numbers, but Dallas also ran their entire offense through him like 75% of the time he was on the floor. So no surprise he put up the flashier numbers.

Meanwhile Ayton suffered through being stuck in an idiotic offensive scheme that ignored him much of the time, with no discernible help from anything resembling a PG or PF.

Ayton will still need to learn to be more assertive to reach his potential. Hopefully, some improved coaching and a year of getting his feet wet will help with that. But there are no guarantees, so who will have a better career is still up in the air.

Doncic proved he belongs in the league, but I still think he is overrated. He will continue to probably put up numbers, but predictions of generational talent are unfounded.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Doncic put up superficially fancier numbers, but Dallas also ran their entire offense through him like 75% of the time he was on the floor. So no surprise he put up the flashier numbers.

Meanwhile Ayton suffered through being stuck in an idiotic offensive scheme that ignored him much of the time, with no discernible help from anything resembling a PG or PF.

Ayton will still need to learn to be more assertive to reach his potential. Hopefully, some improved coaching and a year of getting his feet wet will help with that. But there are no guarantees, so who will have a better career is still up in the air.

Doncic proved he belongs in the league, but I still think he is overrated. He will continue to probably put up numbers, but predictions of generational talent are unfounded.

I think you're greatly discounting Doncic. Makes me wonder if you actually watched him that much. Ayton is our boy, but no need to hate on Luka. Dude is pretty amazing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m still hopeful Ayton will be the better pick in the long run. Certain? By no means. But if someone effectively lights the fire in his belly he’s eventually going to wreck people. If that remains cold, we’ll just be disappointed that he never reached his full potential, but he’ll still likely be the best center we’ve ever had (I know, that doesn’t say much).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who here still thinks Ayton will a better NBA career than Doncic?

I still do. Is it guaranteed? No.

How are you surprised by this? I wasn't and thought he would be the front runner. He was almost unanimously analyzed by scouts to be NBA ready now and to hit the ground running.

I wouldn't have expected Ayton to be playing at the same level his rookie year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think there is a very good chance Ayton will have a better career than Doncic.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m still hopeful Ayton will be the better pick in the long run. Certain? By no means. But if someone effectively lights the fire in his belly he’s eventually going to wreck people. If that remains cold, we’ll just be disappointed that he never reached his full potential, but he’ll still likely be the best center we’ve ever had (I know, that doesn’t say much).

Has there been an example of a player getting his fire lit after entering the league? Just trying to think of someone to give me hope.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has there been an example of a player getting his fire lit after entering the league? Just trying to think of someone to give me hope.

Depends how on much time you mean after getting lit and I am going off my crappy memory. Keep in mind I am not saying they had no talent or didn’t score. I am talking playing consistently to earn All-Star status right? This is sort of subjective.

Dirk, Nash, Christie, Bowen, Stark, Wallace, Schrempf, Cassell, Marbury, Rodman and Billups!?!

Seems to me all of them were not instant success guys day one in the NBA. I could be wrong about some of these and there could be more.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Depends how on much time you mean after getting lit and I am going off my crappy memory. Keep in mind I am not saying they had no talent or didn’t score. I am talking playing consistently to earn All-Star status right? This is sort of subjective.

Dirk, Nash, Christie, Bowen, Stark, Wallace, Schrempf, Cassell, Marbury, Rodman and Billups!?!

Seems to me all of them were not instant success guys day one in the NBA. I could be wrong about some of these and there could be more.

Sure, a lot of guys take time to develop. I'm talking about a guy that went from frustratingly passive to being a cold blooded assassin type.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You don’t draft someone to win ROY. Ayton’s career will be as good if not better than Doncic. For as bad as people make Ayton’s defense, Doncic is worse with no room to improve.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
An interesting part someone on 98.7 brought up is there were 30+ third place votes for other athletes. They brought up all the atletes that got those votes and asked honsetly were any of those athletes better than Ayton? Really? I don't remember the names, but definitely some homer votes there! LOL!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s a legit question. It’s tough for me to come up with someone off the top of my head. I’d suspect we would have to ask fans of other teams as they would probably be better versed in something like that. For instance I’d bet non-suns fans would know of Ayton’s highlights but likely wouldn’t think of him as relatively passive. But we know that’s largely been the case.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ayton certainly should have a better career, but Doncic is years ahead of him in the developmental cycle. I do think it will be a bit silly to compare the two, even years from now. They will be two very different players, but I think both of them will be all-stars for many years. Doncic definitely has a nice start on Ayton, but anyone who was not a complete homer or completely against white European players knew that was the case. Doncic is going to be better for a couple of years and then the gap is going to close. Mavs will be happy with Doncic, and Suns will be happy with Ayton. Mavs fans will hate on Ayton, and Suns fans will hate on Luka. The only thing that Luka has that Ayton doesn't have is "it." I don't know how to define "it", but it's obvious that Luka has it and Ayton does not. Good news is that Ayton only needs to achieve about 60% of "it" to be right there with Doncic.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't remember Michael Jordan being anything that special in college. Good player. Not the leader of his team even. I don't even remember him getting hyped. Then he goes to Chicago and becomes a beast!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't remember Michael Jordan being anything that special in college. Good player. Not the leader of his team even.

??? He was the leader of a UNC team that went 28-3 and spent almost the entire season ranked #1.