2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair a free years ago they weren’t really close. It was the huge gambles they made this year coupled with big injuries to the warriors that resulted in the championship. A few years ago there was no Kawhi (or green ride-a-long) in sight. And they wouldn’t have gone all-in and traded for Gasol absent the Kawhi trade. That’s three starters that were acquired in this pay offseason or midseason.

But they've been winning 50 + for several years, they just could not beat LeBron he was their kryptonite. The combination of him leaving and then all the changes they made put them over the top. When he first said the Raptors are going to be really good many people didn't even think they were going to make the playoffs. He was quite early in that prediction but then he's a big fan so he really followed them closer than a bunch of UCLA fans do.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arguably, they were hanging in there with the world champs with a decimated lineup that whole second half. They are arguably in better shape as a squad than us right now. I am not crying for them!

IF they keep Steph, Klay and Draymond together they'll be ok. Now Klay misses most of the year so it's conceivable they don't make the playoffs and get into the lottery. There are some good prospects in 2020 but I don't think James Wiseman et al are going to be Tim Duncan. I don't think it's worth them tanking(not that you suggested that) so hopefully they can sneak into the playoffs, get Klay back and see how far they can go.

They need to replace Iggy and Livingston, obviously Durant is gone.

I'm thinking the plan is probably wait for the Lakers to get AD and then make a trade for Lonzo. Pick up Gelo as a FA, and draft melo with their 1st pick in 2020 and they will be back on top for a decade with the Ball Brothers!

The more I think about the more I want someone like Joe Harris, good shooter solid defender fits the system. With Klay out he'd be the 2nd scoring option or 3rd if they kept Boogie.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 names I like in the draft as mentioned before. Kevin Porter Jr, and Romeo Langford. I think Porter will go before the Warriors pick, Langford could still be there. Porter has maturity issues but good size and athletic ability, can shoot it, needs lots of coaching but could be really good in 2-3 years. Langford athletic needs work on his shot and his decision making. Has some Iggy to his game although not nearly the defender Iggy is

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think they will I think it's far more likely they would use it on Klay than KD but I think they are allowed to sign them to a new deal, otherwise you'd be in effect saying you either sign them and lose the exception, or let them go. they were going to try and sign Klay anyways so in his case it wouldn't be abusing the rule. If they did it with KD I'd argue it was abusing the rule since I think he would have otherwise left.

Yes, that is exactly how it would work. There is a clear reference in the rule that the team needs to be unaware of the injury. It's not that they'd be abusing the rule, they just flat out wouldn't qualify. Injuries effect value, IMO they're both still max players, but it's still a call the team would have to make.

The only way they can use it is if Durant opts into his final year, which I cannot imagine he will do.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
2 names I like in the draft as mentioned before. Kevin Porter Jr, and Romeo Langford. I think Porter will go before the Warriors pick, Langford could still be there. Porter has maturity issues but good size and athletic ability, can shoot it, needs lots of coaching but could be really good in 2-3 years. Langford athletic needs work on his shot and his decision making. Has some Iggy to his game although not nearly the defender Iggy is
I'd love for the Dubs to find a way to move up in the draft and get Bol Bol

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly how it would work. There is a clear reference in the rule that the team needs to be unaware of the injury. It's not that they'd be abusing the rule, they just flat out wouldn't qualify. Injuries effect value, IMO they're both still max players, but it's still a call the team would have to make.

The only way they can use it is if Durant opts into his final year, which I cannot imagine he will do.

I can't find it on the NBA site but Hoops Hype and someone else has it and neitehr one says the team has to be unaware of the injury at the time they sign the player. If that's true then clearly they can't use it on Durant or Klay. Note, both are currently being discussed on Bay area sports radio and tv so if neither is eligible, nobody in the Bay area seems to know that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love for the Dubs to find a way to move up in the draft and get Bol Bol

I don't like Bol I think he's going to be an injury plagued guy.

Porter is getting lots of hype right now it's being said he might get into the top 5 if he works out well. I had him pegged for late lottery before. Very talented kid. I picked on him quite a bit during the season, very immature. I've since learned that his dad was shot and killed when Porter was 4 years old. I actually initially thougth he was related to Kevin Porter the ex NBA player but that's not his dad just had the same name, his dad was in HS in the 90's apparently. So I can somewhat better understand Porter's lack of maturity growing up without a dad due to murder.

I actually think Langford is a fascinating story too I really hope if he's there the Warriors consider him. Lots of people don't seem to realize how bad his hand injury was at IU, there were reports people thought he was coasting but apparently that's not even remotely true. Had a very painful injury, played through it, significantly impacted his shooting, then missed the end of the year due to a back problem.

This year the Warriors need a steal a kid late in the first that should have gone much earlier, Langford is high on my list.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't find it on the NBA site but Hoops Hype and someone else has it and neitehr one says the team has to be unaware of the injury at the time they sign the player. If that's true then clearly they can't use it on Durant or Klay. Note, both are currently being discussed on Bay area sports radio and tv so if neither is eligible, nobody in the Bay area seems to know that.

A link to Coon's CBA stuff was posted earlier, it makes clear that a team cannot acquire a player with a known injury and then seek relief, they need to be unaware of the injury. It also makes no reference for a team being able to use it on a player that they just signed out of free agency. Again, I just cannot imagine the logic for a team knowing a guy is injured, giving them a new contract and then getting relief for the already known injury, the text seems to preclude the idea. It's like getting fire insurance on a house that already burned down.

If Durant opts in they can use it for sure though.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I really like Bol— certainly not because of his defense, which is suspect— but I love that he’s a big who can really he run the floor in transition and is very athletic.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A link to Coon's CBA stuff was posted earlier, it makes clear that a team cannot acquire a player with a known injury and then seek relief, they need to be unaware of the injury. It also makes no reference for a team being able to use it on a player that they just signed out of free agency. Again, I just cannot imagine the logic for a team knowing a guy is injured, giving them a new contract and then getting relief for the already known injury, the text seems to preclude the idea. It's like getting fire insurance on a house that already burned down.

If Durant opts in they can use it for sure though.

OK I missed your last sentence on first read. Yes if KD takes the option they can use the DPE. With Klay there is no player option so they'd be signing him to a new deal.

I just read an article that agrees with you on Klay it says for all the bay area talk of an injury exception for Klay, the Warriors could not use it on him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So earlier, Klay not making the All NBA Teams, Golden State already got a break on the max contract they would be able to pay him. I think you just make up the contract for that amount at this point and offer it to Klay. Really, you are going to nitpick him at this point? I put him above Draymond. If anyone could take a haircut or walk, it would be Draymond, imho. Not knocking his play, just I prioritize Klay over Draymond. Plus, someone else would pay Draymond, but with his emotional issues, would they max him?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Congratulations to the Raptors and thanks so much for beating the stupid dubs/Town/clowns.

So the Suns sucked for yet another season (even after getting #1) but at least Lakers/Spurs/Leflop or GS didn't walk it in.

Next year? We'll suck again. Thanks Sarver, you guys are really successful chaps. We love your product.

All the best.

:moon:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Windhorst is speculating the Warriors could sign Durant to a 5 year deal, let him rehab, and then trade him to the Knicks or someone else he likes. That way they reward him for 2 titles and playing hurt, and he rewards them by giving them a chip to trade.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Windhorst is speculating the Warriors could sign Durant to a 5 year deal, let him rehab, and then trade him to the Knicks or someone else he likes. That way they reward him for 2 titles and playing hurt, and he rewards them by giving them a chip to trade.

Wow 5, maybe 4 years would be ok. Trading him with 4 years left and his age and injury history? Idk about that

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On the surface it sounds like a nice thing to do but if I were a Knick fan (or wherever he plans to go), I'd be disappointed that he'd sabotage the team he is going to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA