The Mandatory Minicamp thread. 06/11/19-06/13/19

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be down with signing James Williams. Was really high on him coming out of Wazzu & he would be a MENACE in the passing game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You are what your record states.

The talent on this team wasnt capable of making up for the atrocious coaching.

I think with good coaching, they would have been a middling team though.

With exceptional coaching and more talent, a similar team was 8-8 the year before.

I think like Bill O’Brien would have had this team at 6-10. That’s still twice as many wins, but I think if we go 6-10 this year we’ll feel bad despite ourselves.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With exceptional coaching and more talent, a similar team was 8-8 the year before.

I think like Bill O’Brien would have had this team at 6-10. That’s still twice as many wins, but I think if we go 6-10 this year we’ll feel bad despite ourselves.

It'll depend on how we get to 6-10. Last year we had multiple games when our offense barely crossed midfield & our D gave up 200 yards on the ground. If we're exciting & the ball just doesn't bounce our way, then almost anything will surpass last year's debacle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

6-10 is around my expectations, but I want an early Whisenhunt feeling, not a Vince Tobin feeling.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read the move as feeling Amerson was a step slow in functional speed and they kept him on board as mainly an experiencd insurance policy.

Implication is that Cards feel they have enough speed and depth at the position to let go of Amerson earlier/& not later.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It'll depend on how we get to 6-10. Last year we had multiple games when our offense barely crossed midfield & our D gave up 200 yards on the ground. If we're exciting & the ball just doesn't bounce our way, then almost anything will surpass last year's debacle.

6-10 is around my expectations, but I want an early Whisenhunt feeling, not a Vince Tobin feeling.

Whisenhunt went 8-8 his first season here. That includes going 5-6 in a remarkable 11 games decided by 7 points or fewer.

If the offense improves from "historically awful" to "below average", it's difficult to see this team not being close to .500. If you believe our defense also underperformed (They were average by DVOA) and could bounce back, there are few excuses for this team not being 7-9. But 6-10 is the only reasonable minimum for performance this year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Whisenhunt went 8-8 his first season here. That includes going 5-6 in a remarkable 11 games decided by 7 points or fewer.

If the offense improves from "historically awful" to "below average", it's difficult to see this team not being close to .500. If you believe our defense also underperformed (They were average by DVOA) and could bounce back, there are few excuses for this team not being 7-9. But 6-10 is the only reasonable minimum for performance this year.

6-10 is my minimum expectation.

I think if the offense is average and the defense is above average, that's good for another two wins, 8-8.

The extreme is that the offense is better than average immediately, and that probably chalks up to 10-6.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
6-10 is my minimum expectation.

I think if the offense is average and the defense is above average, that's good for another two wins, 8-8.

The extreme is that the offense is better than average immediately, and that probably chalks up to 10-6.

I am thinking 7-9, because that 8-8 stuff for this team after last season means that Kingsbury will be nails at his first time coaching as a pro and Gonzales will be aces placekicking. There is enough of the college game sprinkled now that I do not think a guy like Murray is going to completely take the rest of the league off guard but I could be wrong

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Not many people were thinking this was a 3-13 team last June, either.
I got scared at the opening Wilks presser when he turned to Bidwill and Keim and said something like "You made the right choice" or something like that.

Him, McCoy and then Bradford was a punt on 3rd down IMO.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I got scared at the opening Wilks presser when he turned to Bidwill and Keim and said something like "You made the right choice" or something like that.

Him, McCoy and then Bradford was a punt on 3rd down IMO.

Yeah, I mean, I wan't on board with the hurdle in the locker room or the bricks at training camp. Then I went to the Red and White practice and that looked pretty bad. People didn't want to listen to me, though.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed but how is Brandon Williams better than Amerson? They both have a similar cap number (850k vs 900k).

This is BW's 3rd coaching staff...has to be Keim forcing the issue.

Maybe Amerson wanted the release?

Maybe he just doesn't have the skill set they want and isn't an asset on ST?
Yeah, I mean, I wan't on board with the hurdle in the locker room or the bricks at training camp. Then I went to the Red and White practice and that looked pretty bad. People didn't want to listen to me, though.

Still amazed you made a comment about liking KK as our next coach, and it actually happened. Surprised it unfolded the way it did?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I don’t think so if we are competitive in those 10 losses and the young guys show talent.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I have no expectations this year.

Too many unknowns heading into the season and I'm sure we won't see much in the preseason. So game one is going to be the first time we actually see this new offense in play.
I’m in this boat.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t think so if we are competitive in those 10 losses and the young guys show talent.

Dude, if we go 6-10 but we're 3-8 in one-score games, there are going to be a lot of questions about whether or not Murray is actually a winner and whether Kingsbury has what it takes to make the right decisions at the end of games. That would be a catastrophe.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Look it up. They went 3-13.

Yes, that was quite obvious. The point I was trying to make was that our 3-13 record had more to do with coaching & schemes than lack of talent. It's not that they were loaded with talent, but BA would have won 7-8 games with the same team. Realistically, we were fortunate to have won 3 games. If Garoppolo was around, we lose both games to the Niners.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, we are the Cardinals & what could go wrong, will go wrong, and at the worst possible time. My biggest concern isn't the offense, nor the D. It's our kicker. I have very little trust that Gonzalez is a legit NFL kicker & he may cost us 2-3 games before we do anything about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose