The Mandatory Minicamp thread. 06/11/19-06/13/19

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
scott bordow (@sbordow)
6/13/19, 9:29 AM
Like a lot of teams Cardinals have cancelled their final minicamp practice. With the exception of rookies, team now off until training camp
Phew, I was concerned we were going to have something to talk about through the rest of the week. Now back to arguing about Kyler until the end of July.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Cutting Amerson seems a positive sign to me that Byron Murphy is doing well. Especially with the 6 game suspension for PP to start the season. They wouldn't cut a vet with lots of starting experience if Murphy hadn't shown some promise, even if it's only in padless practice.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cutting Amerson seems a positive sign to me that Byron Murphy is doing well. Especially with the 6 game suspension for PP to start the season. They wouldn't cut a vet with lots of starting experience if Murphy hadn't shown some promise, even if it's only in padless practice.
I agree, and to add to your point I don't think they would be working out someone whos play has been declining the past couple of years (Branch). That would be backwards thinking.imo

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Agreed but how is Brandon Williams better than Amerson? They both have a similar cap number (850k vs 900k).

This is BW's 3rd coaching staff...has to be Keim forcing the issue.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki)
6/12/19, 12:11 PM
#AZCardinals a couple of other wide receivers Damiere Bryd (2015, 4.28) and Pharoh Cooper have been consistent and making plays; both also competing at KR/PR.

Of the rookie wide receivers KeeSean Johnson has shown his fluid route running and natural catching ability.

Supposedly KeeSean has looked the best of the rookies

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know that I like Kool Aid, but going into TC, it seems to me that this team has a lot of potential. Doesn't feel like a 3-13 team. I don't do predictions, record wise, but I am enthusiastic about the upcoming season. If not for PP's suspension, I feel that my "take" on the team might be a correct one. Even so, middle of the pack seems doable.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This off season couldn’t have gone much better. Aside from the PP debacle , nobody got hurt and nobody held out. Seems all the rookies have progressed on a good pace.

I don’t want to get drunk on the kool-aid but as Garthshort stated it just doesn’t feel like a 3-13 team.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
They should’ve known once Mike McCoy was announced the OC.
McCoy was really bad. Historically bad. Though when he arrived, I had hope. Rosen seemed a good fit for McCoy's offense. Classic dropback offense, short and medium passes. Bradford's condition was worse than we could imagine, Rosen was still a rookie thrown into a terrible team, too early as well. Wilks losing the locker room a few games into the season, lack of WR talent other than Fitz (Kirk was a rookie) and the whole OL going on IR didn't help either. So I could see the plan, but in hindsight it was a massive fail on all levels. At least SK/MB could swallow their pride and push the reset button. I'm happy where we are now, but I hate hindsight. A year ago we all were singing Wilks praises.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Draft capital
Draft capital doesn't matter anymore for BW. Hence we traded our top 10 pick for a low 2nd after one season. If we wanted to cut BW, it would've been done already.

That said, BW can run and is therefore important on special teams. Amerson doesn't play on special teams. Both shouldn't see the field on defense. That's about it.

If you want a glimmer of hope, Brandon Williams has perfect tools to play man coverage. He was overdrafted, should've known that he would take lots of time to develop. Last year should've been his time to prove growth, but the switch to zone coverage hurt him even more. He is a great athlete who could possibly learn to stick to his man 1 on 1, at least as a dime CB. But he could never be a sophisticated zone CB reading the play, so last year was a total waste especially for him.

I don't expect BW to play defense. But it wouldn't surprise me if he makes the final 53 based on punt coverage.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
K9 said that last year (at this time) the team didn't look like a three win team, and I agree. But even early on I wasn't very excited by our WR room. A BIG difference, this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose