Mike Jurecki’s Distaste For Being A Company Man

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
You can literally see the disgust on his face when pushed into explaining why everything is perfect. Never thought I would say it, but I respect Mike Jurecki after watching this accurate factual analysis. He was hired as a shill, but despises it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Jurecki's expressions are always like piss/vinegar every time I see him lol

He normally looks like Jodi Jackson. Sour at all times. But in this podcast, he expressed disgust at A: Having his chops busted; and B: Towing the Front Office line that everything is ideal. When Robert Nkemdiche contributing came up, he actually looked exasperated. This is not his line of work. He should join Bob Kemp on 1060

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Jurecki has been an insufferable ass the past few years, which explains why he was run off of the two biggest sports radio stations in the market. Part of what made Jurecki so valuable before was that he had great inside sources. Now that he works for the company, he can’t provide sourced information like he used to. Looking back, it was evident that he knew Murray was the selection for a month because he was essentially priming us about his fit with the coach and not paying much attention to the other draft prospects.

I wonder if there’s something personal going on with him. Dude is 50 and has no family.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Jurecki has been an insufferable ass the past few years, which explains why he was run off of the two biggest sports radio stations in the market. Part of what made Jurecki so valuable before was that he had great inside sources. Now that he works for the company, he can’t provide sourced information like he used to. Looking back, it was evident that he knew Murray was the selection for a month because he was essentially priming us about his fit with the coach and not paying much attention to the other draft prospects.

I wonder if there’s something personal going on with him. Dude is 50 and has no family.

He has a dog that he walks on “hikes.” He really seems to be behaving erratically in these new podcasts. I think he is not long for the Cardinals world

TJ

Reaction score
I have no idea why this would ever be considered a factor in anything. Totally unfair.

Why wouldn’t it? For all of his talent, he’s been ran from the two biggest local companies in his industry in the past two years. If you’re really good at your job and keep getting fired, chances are you have interpersonal relationship issues, and not having a family at his age doesn’t help to refute that point. Neither does verbally accosting others on social media.

TJ

Reaction score
He has a dog that he walks on “hikes.” He really seems to be behaving erratically in these new podcasts. I think he is not long for the Cardinals world

He’s definitely out of his element. Craig Grialou is perfect for the job as he’s balanced, knowledgeable and seems to enjoy what he’s doing.

Man, i wish Mark Asher wanted to come back to radio or work for the Cards.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t it? For all of his talent, he’s been ran from the two biggest local companies in his industry in the past two years. If you’re really good at your job and keep getting fired, chances are you have interpersonal relationship issues, and not having a family at his age doesn’t help to refute that point. Neither does verbally accosting others on social media.
Or the dude keeps moving up? He's now working for the only game in town in what he does. I'll admit, not having lived in Phoenix for a decade, I'm a little off from it all, but if you consider it failing, I see it as failing up.

And I personally, along with many my age, do not ever intend to have a family. There's a lot of very valid reasons not to, that have nothing to do with your ability to hold a job (quite the opposite), or inability to maintain relationships. I just prefer friendships, dating, and financial freedom as compared to state built contracts that do nothing but put me at a disadvantage.

TJ

Reaction score
Or the dude keeps moving up? He's now working for the only game in town in what he does. I'll admit, not having lived in Phoenix for a decade, I'm a little off from it all, but if you consider it failing, I see it as failing up.

And I personally, along with many my age, do not ever intend to have a family. There's a lot of very valid reasons not to, that have nothing to do with your ability to hold a job (quite the opposite), or inability to maintain relationships. I just prefer friendships, dating, and financial freedom as compared to state built contracts that do nothing but put me at a disadvantage.

Is “Digital Content Correspondent” a bigger/better position than being one of the lead radio personalities during prime time spots? Is he above Dan Bickley or Gambo? On those same lines, does Darren Urban have a more ideal job than Kent Somers? Yeah, it looks cool to say you work for a NFL team, but working for the top radio station or the top newspaper in the market sure has its benefits over being limited in your scope of practice so is not to public humiliate your employer. Would imagine the pay is equal +/-. Last year, you could see and hear the frustration from Grialou and MJ as they desperately wanted to opine that Wilks needed to go. Somers was basically writing Wilks’ obituary by Week 10.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

He’s not on the radio because he’s not knowledgeable about anything other than football. I would say he overachieved by going from Mike in Ahwatukee calling in during the Buddy Ryan era post game to eventually getting a show and building some sources. You can definitely tell he’s unhappy being muted.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suspect the politics of local beat reporting is a bit more complicated / nuanced than we're lead to believe.

A healthy media market provides fans with both (a) an objective viewpoint (often bordering on the negative /skeptical) and (b) the team's point of view (often supported by healthy amounts of inside info).

My perception of Jurecki was that he was an outside guy initially given the "keys to the kingdom" by Coach Mac, but was left to fend for himself when Mac was released (& carved out a pretty good career for himself since then).

Darren U was a budding beat writer for the East Valley Tribune when the Cards snapped him up to be their print mouthpiece. He's done a good job of balancing team-"loyalty" with objective coverage of the folks who pay his freight.

Throughout all of this, Kent Somers has been the main voice of the AZR and leading "yeah-but" skeptic on all things Cardinals in the AZ media community ((& a great source of frustration, but as I look back on it probably a much-needed restorer of balance to Cardinal coverage).

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the personal lives of media people - the relationship-landscape keeps shifting and there's too much other stuff going on that promises to complicate matters.

That's my take.

PS - Speaking of coverage, has anyone checked out the Season Preview editions from Athlon and Lindy's I bring it up because Cardinal coverage was, by and large highly negative and two prominent Lindy's writers/editors are former TSN honcho Howard Balzer and former NYC beat writer, Gary Myers (neither of them big Cardinal fans) which reinforces my opinion that we should take what these guys say with the proverbial grain of salt.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont watch/listen to cover 2. it's garbage IMO. I cant just take on team sponsored programming all the time. At this point, they are just another offshoot of a darren urban article. Even the local non employee reporters seem to chew the exact same bone as everyone else each day.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I suspect the politics of local beat reporting is a bit more complicated / nuanced than we're lead to believe.

A healthy media market provides fans with both (a) an objective viewpoint (often bordering on the negative /skeptical) and (b) the team's point of view (often supported by healthy amounts of inside info).

My perception of Jurecki was that he was an outside guy initially given the "keys to the kingdom" by Coach Mac, but was left to fend for himself when Mac was released (& carved out a pretty good career for himself since then).

Darren U was a budding beat writer for the East Valley Tribune when the Cards snapped him up to be their print mouthpiece. He's done a good job of balancing team-"loyalty" with objective coverage of the folks who pay his freight.

Throughout all of this, Kent Somers has been the main voice of the AZR and leading "yeah-but" skeptic on all things Cardinals in the AZ media community ((& a great source of frustration, but as I look back on it probably a much-needed restorer of balance to Cardinal coverage).

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the personal lives of media people - the relationship-landscape keeps shifting and there's too much other stuff going on that promises to complicate matters.

That's my take.

PS - Speaking of coverage, has anyone checked out the Season Preview editions from Athlon and Lindy's I bring it up because Cardinal coverage was, by and large highly negative and two prominent Lindy's writers/editors are former TSN honcho Howard Balzer and former NYC beat writer, Gary Myers (neither of them big Cardinal fans) which reinforces my opinion that we should take what these guys say with the proverbial grain of salt.

I remember looking forward to these rags to hit shelves in the 90s and 200’s and they would rip the Cardinals no matter what was going on. It should have stopped after the Super Bowl, but didn’t. High negativity toward the Cardinals. I would rather watch main stream media where they don’t pay attention to the Cardinals at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose