Barroway Looking to Sell? Meurelo Approved by NHL.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And since he lives in LA, with a saturated hockey market already, no fear of him trying to move them there.

Another interesting thing about him is that he once attempted to buy the Atlanta Hawks. Maybe he wants two professional franchises. :shock:

: pucksdream:

Billionaire buys 2 struggling franchises, builds new state of the art arena with central location in Valley and houses both with emphasis on winning!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Both hockey and Soccer, I would love to see no off sides! No blue line. I grew up with American Soccer, where there was no off sides. I loved it, because then it is so much more like basketball. If you can make a good defensive play, you deserve a fast break. It was up to the defenders to stop you no matter what. The games were not that high scoring once you got used to defending. You have to play tighter and deny passes more, and you sometimes just have to charge on defense. Much more agressive play on both sides of the ball.

Since I was little, there has always been off-sides when I played soccer. What American Soccer league didn't have off-sides?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Since I was little, there has always been off-sides when I played soccer. What American Soccer league didn't have off-sides?
I played in recreation leagues in Yuma AZ when I was a little kid. I am quite old. We did not even know it was called football. It was always soccer. My kids played and there was off sides. I can tell you, there was a time we played where there wasn't. My coaches called it American soccer. Not American Soccer League. As in, here in America there's no off sides in soccer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I played in recreation leagues in Yuma AZ when I was a little kid. I am quite old. We did not even know it was called football. It was always soccer. My kids played and there was off sides. I can tell you, there was a time we played where there wasn't. My coaches called it American soccer. Not American Soccer League. As in, here in America there's no off sides in soccer.
I’m fifty. When I played as a kid we had offsides. We just called it soccer.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Craig Morgan (@craigsmorgan)
6/19/19, 8:50 AM
As I head to Vancouver today for the NHL Draft, a reminder: The Board of Governors is expected to vote in Las Vegas today on a majority-stake sale of the Coyotes to Alex Meruelo. I'd expect the sale's approval, but again, the sale isn't expected to close until later this summer.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Craig Morgan (@craigsmorgan)
6/19/19, 2:13 PM
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman confirms that the Board of Governors has approved a majority-stake sale of the Coyotes to Alex Meruelo. Again, the sale is not expected to close until later this summer.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dan Rosen (@drosennhl)
6/19/19, 2:21 PM
Billionaire entrepreneur Alex Meruelo was approved today by the NHL’s Board of Governors to be the new majority owner of the Arizona Coyotes. Meruelo is expected to close on the sale next month. Hope is that he can get the Coyotes a new arena.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Matt Layman (@mattjlayman)
6/19/19, 2:44 PM
"Our expectation at this time is that this transaction will close later in July. As we move forward, our team will do everything we can to continue building the positive momentum and progress we have achieved on and off the ice. (2/3)

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Emily Kaplan (@emilymkaplan)
6/19/19, 2:43 PM
Alex Meurelo will be Coyotes new owner. NHL typically prevents new owners from applying for relocation for 7 yrs. Asked if it applies to Meurelo, Bettman said "Yes for a period of time. But we also understand the importance of a new arena. Because Glendale is not viable longterm"

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great, but I'll pop the Champagne when the names are on the dotted line.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So is this guy like wealthy enough that the valley finally has an owner that will spend?

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has the money to do so.

He may put his capital towards a new arena and hold off on team spending. We just don't know. I really don't expect a huge drunken spending spree anytime soon, but I'd love to be proven incorrect.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson