Who takes the bull by the horns? Cole or Shipley?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Competition at center? Kingsbury has yet to name Shipley or Cole the Cardinals starter
Kliff Kingsbury still hasn't named a starter at center, but don't tell A.Q. Shipley that.

"Competition? Is there a competition?" the veteran asked.

"I don't know, you guys tell me. That's what you keep saying. I'm going in as I've got over 100 games played in the NFL, so if they want to give it to someone else, that's cool, that's up to them, but I'm going in as the guy. That's the way I operate."

He says "that's cool" in a way that implies, no, actually, it wouldn't be ideal. Shipley is competitive, and he's ready to get back on the field. The last season was agonizing.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...me-shipley-cole-cardinals-starter/1279460001/

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If he looks fully recovered I think they start Shipley. Cole can backup up more other slots and the Cards figure to need fill ins. I expect him to move around in preseason. I also think Gaillard will likely press Cole for the role next season if not before. He’s not as good an athlete but he has the grit I like in that spot.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My hope is Cole. I really want to get into a position where we're drafting guys to actually play, and letting them play. This team desperately needs some of its young talent to stick and make it to a second contract. Why stunt Cole's growth by making him ride the pine after starting a full year and really being the lone bright spot?

We already cut ties with last year's first pick and drafted three guys who could make Kirk's tenure here in AZ very short. If we're not gonna play these guys, why even participate in the draft?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shipley gets pushed back too easily on pass plays and has very little push on run plays.

He is below average to average. Backup player at this stage.

Cole needs to step up and make his move to take the starting C position.

Hopefully Gaillard shows something in ST to earn a backup position.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d rather just start Gaillard at Center & move Cole/Shipley to Guard.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? The guy's a 6th round pick. What makes you think he's ready to start?
I don’t care if he was a UDFA. Some players just mistakenly slip in the draft & I think Lamont was one of them.

He was the only center to contain Quinnen. Hell, he was a better center than Cole was in college.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's a lesser-of-two-evils situation. Their skillsets seem to be kind of equal and opposite.

Cole gives up too much inside pressure in the passing game, while Shipley seems to hold up better.

Shipley can't move laterally in the run game, while Cole has good feet and can pull.

Both options limit what you can do offensively. Shipley limits the types of run plays you can run. Cole limits what you can do in the passing game.

I hate to admit it, but with the passing game taking priority, I think that makes Shipley the lesser of the two evils for the coaches. With the possible tie going to Shipley for his experience.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don’t care if he was a UDFA. Some players just mistakenly slip in the draft & I think Lamont was one of them.

He was the only center to contain Quinnen. Hell, he was a better center than Cole was in college.

The NFL sometimes gets too caught up in measurables. Gaillard was one of the best linemen in the SEC over the past three years.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Three possible centers, two we know can start and be average in the NFL based on their playing experience.

This is a good problem to have.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I say that whoever can master the line calls (protections / identify Mike), shotgun snap consistently, and not get beat by speed & power on a regular basis should win the job.

Pulling / athleticism may be one of the more under-rated aspects; however that depends on Kugler’s blocking scheme. Seems we may be going back to a more traditional, physical brand of “power” / drive blocking ala Steelers than the zone we’ve been accustomed to seeing in recent years.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
My hope is Cole. I really want to get into a position where we're drafting guys to actually play, and letting them play. This team desperately needs some of its young talent to stick and make it to a second contract. Why stunt Cole's growth by making him ride the pine after starting a full year and really being the lone bright spot?

We already cut ties with last year's first pick and drafted three guys who could make Kirk's tenure here in AZ very short. If we're not gonna play these guys, why even participate in the draft?

A line works as a whole. Cole simply has to be a pro and be average to equate what Shipley offers and he cannot get vet experience when not on the field and why not get Cole in now so he can be a foundation for a young line that one can hope will grow together in the future... I agree

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the wildcards in this are - a) Did Cole add significant strength and mass over the offseason as many have prognosticated he would? I'm skeptical of it, but if he did, that would be huge. And b) Is Shipley the same guy he was when we last saw him play?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don't think it matters who starts as neither are all pro material and each has their own strengths and weaknesses. I see both as slightly below average centers.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I don’t even think Shipley makes this roster. He’s average at best imo & if he’s starting this offense will be worse off because of it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You can’t just wish and hope guys into being good because we drafted them high. Cole was not very good. He may get better but he may not.

Cole was not a bright spot, maybe he was relative to the rest of the line, but he wasn’t relative to the rest of the nfl.

Personally I am really hoping Lamont gets a chance and succeeds.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You can’t just wish and hope guys into being good because we drafted them high. Cole was not very good. He may get better but he may not.

Cole was not a bright spot, maybe he was relative to the rest of the line, but he wasn’t relative to the rest of the nfl.

Personally I am really hoping Lamont gets a chance and succeeds.
I think the fact he played every snap and continued to get experience was a good thing. It's really not fair that he was playing with street free agents all around him.

I don't think you can continuously give up on rookies and give them a one and done year to prove it. Guys take a while to "get it" all the time.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think you can continuously give up on rookies and give them a one and done year to prove it. Guys take a while to "get it" all the time.

You dont unless the new guy is a huge upgrade.

You know..like a QB who not only throws the ball better and more accurately, but is also one of the best college dual threats ever :p

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You dont unless the new guy is a huge upgrade.

You know..like a QB who not only throws the ball better and more accurately, but is also one of the best college dual threats ever :p

I didn't realize KM has thrown the ball better and more accurately in the NFL than JR. I didn't realize KM has thrown even a single pass in the NFL yet. Huh.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't follow why if we have K2 at HC and Murray at QB you believe Kirk will have a short tenure? This offense is going to need Wr's and he's damn near perfect for what I think this offense is going to be. Right now it looks like we did well in the draft at WR but with 3 guys the odds are pretty good at most 2 of them become productive NFL WR's. If you hit 3 of 3 awesome but that would be unusual IMO when they're not all high picks.