Carson Palmer and the ring of honor.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm excited to listen to it; you know it's a pretty questionable decision when even the Voice of Sauron is indifferent or debating it.

Those rate stats hide that Palmer hardly played here. I guess the counter-argument is that Kurt Warner is in the Ring of Honor. He won fewer games and had a worse record here.

I think the weirdest thing is the timing. Palmer retired 15 months ago. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait a year or two and then reconsider this? I very much doubt that I'm going to be telling my kids about what it was like watching Carson Palmer play.

Twelve months ago there were people here saying "Actually I expect Sam Bradford to outperform Carson Palmer" in a non-joking way. You'll be able to tell the history of the Arizona Cardinals without mentioning Warner. Dansby and Dockett have a stronger argument to make.
Maybe it's different for me but Warner was an absolute no-brainer IMO.

Did they both resurrect their careers here? Yes. But Carson has playoff demons that Warner never had. Regardless of injuries, leadership, and toughness....... Warners story is legendary.

And I do agree with the timing. Another year or two of perspective would have helped in this situation, but I think the impulsiveness of our owner was exposed here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Maybe it's different for me but Warner was an absolute no-brainer IMO.

Did they both resurrect their careers here? Yes. But Carson has playoff demons that Warner never had. Regardless of injuries, leadership, and toughness....... Warners story is legendary.

And I do agree with the timing. Another year or two of perspective would have helped in this situation, but I think the impulsiveness of our owner was exposed here.

And for whatever reason, I think that Warner was embraced here more. He came in and struggled and fought for his job before going on an unprecedented tear. I think it also helps that Warner came here from St. Louis (via New York, but whatevs) — there are a lot of midwest transplants who were happy to root for the Cards while the Rams were bad/mediocre.

Palmer is just kind of a golden child who, as Chad Johnson said, "Just looked quarterbackish."

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Both seasons bounced by panthers. But Lindley in first round. Did you think lindley won a game to get to another round?!?
no, I thought stanton won the first game or something but thats right, we got knocked out wild card weekend or something.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Darren Urban (@Cardschatter)
6/5/19, 2:27 PM
Kliff Kingsbury, talking about former ⁦‪@AZCardinals‬⁩ QB Carson Palmer when the two were teammates at Senior Bowl:

"I remember walking out the first day and it was like this Greek god throwing lighting bolts. I knew it was not going to be a good week for me."

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I don’t argue with anything you said. However I think the organization wants more ARIZONA Cardinals up there. Guys local ticket buyers recognize.
I hear what your saying but in the last 10 years they’ve inducted Wehrli & Hart.

Anyway you look at it, no player who’s in the HOF should be excluded from a teams ROH. No ifs ands or buts about it! Regardless of circumstances.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't go down but I think that finger injury had a big impact on the rest of the season. Thru the Phily game he had gone 171 attempts over 19 qtrs. w/o throwing a pick. He had 9 picks on the year. Then after the finger, over the last 2 regular season games and the 2 playoff games he throws 8 ints. and 3 of the 4 games his comp % was less then his season avg.
Unfortunately I as at that Philly game but to be honest, losing HB had a bigger impact especially considering that the very next week he had a good game.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does he not hold some Cardinal passing records? Also, just because a guy is recent does not make it justify for one to say he does not belong. I would like to see Lomax in the Ring of Honor if he's not, but that does not give me any bias for keeping Palmer out
As much as I love Lomax, he had some dud seasons that preclude his entry. 1986 alone keeps him off the ROH.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no, I thought stanton won the first game or something but thats right, we got knocked out wild card weekend or something.
Ryan Lindley QB'd one of the worst playoff games in history. His game line was 16 of 28 for 82 yards, 1TD, and 2 INT's and we actually led this game at halftime. But how could you forget the first playoff game of the 2015 season? Aaron Rogers completes 2 hail Mary's to tie it then Palmer hits Fitz on a little dump pass and he almost scores not to mention the botched coin toss.
You must be registered for see images

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway you look at it, no player who’s in the HOF should be excluded from a teams ROH. No ifs ands or buts about it! Regardless of circumstances.

O.J. Simpson?

Last I looked, OJ Simpson was never a Cardinal.

REALLY??? Wow, thanks for that. What's your point?

You saw the original quote in my message. Bucky's claim, to which i replied, wasn't restricted to the Cardinals.

...dbs

Reactions: HGC

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That spin move and cross field pass to Fitz was probably the best play of his entire tenure with the Cards.

Still have that game on my DVR. Al Michaels went bonkers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Darren Urban (@Cardschatter)
6/5/19, 2:27 PM
Kliff Kingsbury, talking about former ⁦‪@AZCardinals‬⁩ QB Carson Palmer when the two were teammates at Senior Bowl:

"I remember walking out the first day and it was like this Greek god throwing lighting bolts. I knew it was not going to be a good week for me."
Kingsbury was a senior same year as Palmer??? I thought Palmer was a lot older than Kliff.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does he not hold some Cardinal passing records? Also, just because a guy is recent does not make it justify for one to say he does not belong. I would like to see Lomax in the Ring of Honor if he's not, but that does not give me any bias for keeping Palmer out

I never realized that Lomax wasn't in the ROH. That's ridiculous. Other than Warner, who wasn't here long enough, Lomax was the best QB the Cardinals ever had. Without the hip injury, he'd be in the HOF.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Palmer was a great person, and a good QB for us. But, there's no way he deserves to be in the ROH over Neil Lomax. Without Palmer, BA would have struggled with Stanton under center. But, as much as that was a great pick up, I said from day 1, that Palmer could never get us to a SB, let alone win one. He forced way too many passes, and had one too many boneheaded plays at critical junctures that made my jaw hit the ground. Other than that, I really like the guy!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Palmer was a great person, and a good QB for us. But, there's no way he deserves to be in the ROH over Neil Lomax. Without Palmer, BA would have struggled with Stanton under center. But, as much as that was a great pick up, I said from day 1, that Palmer could never get us to a SB, let alone win one. He forced way too many passes, and had one too many boneheaded plays at critical junctures that made my jaw hit the ground. Other than that, I really like the guy!

Since being a Cardinal fan, I would say Hart, Lomax, Warner and Palmer should all be there :raccoon:

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
They spoke about all of this on the Cards Underground podcast this week. I think the division is everywhere on this decision, but Urban made it clear that relationship to the front office plays a significant role in the selection process.

they also went through his resume (Highest winning % for a QB in Cards histroy, etc.) and there is a debate to be had when your hear it in totality.

I just keep going back to 5 years...... Only twice playing a full 16 game schedule....... Two huge season ending injuries........ Very poor playoff performances.....And finally, only one playoff win. This is the classic "is Gayle Sayers or Barry Sanders a hall of famer" with only XX years of service type of convo.

The podcast kept going back to intangibles, total leadership, and fighting through pain and injury week after week.

I think the fact that he wanted to be here helps too. It's not like we have a rich history of players openly stating they wished they played their entire career here.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So how did one of my favorite players of all time Roy Green get into the Ring of Honor without Lomax :cards:
Because, like Fitz, Green shined no matter who was throwing him the ball. Lomax was so bad in 1986 that Stallings benched him. He was pretty pedestrian in 1985 as well.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love me some Lomax but he ain't no Palmer. Carson had that sixth sense that Warner had. They both can read a D . It's the most important quality a QB can have IMO. Carson sometimes pushed the envelope with his throws but he was so damn good he couldn't help himself. Very sad day when I heard he was retiring. The only other day that compared was Warners. Congrats CP wish we would have had you earlier

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Oh c'mon man......

This is Vince McMahon level panties in a bunch stuff.

Anquan Boldin is one of the greatest Cards of all time. Not top 4 or even top 6 or 7, but top 10 to 15? No freaking doubt. I will not let one emotional outburst ruin his legacy. He made a mistake, sure..... We all have...... but dude........ This is ANQUAN FREAKING BOLDIN!!!

I would’ve inducted him after his first career game. :D

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Oh c'mon man......

This is Vince McMahon level panties in a bunch stuff.

Anquan Boldin is one of the greatest Cards of all time. Not top 4 or even top 6 or 7, but top 10 to 15? No freaking doubt. I will not let one emotional outburst ruin his legacy. He made a mistake, sure..... We all have...... but dude........ This is ANQUAN FREAKING BOLDIN!!!

It wasn’t limited to just one emotional outburst.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It wasn’t limited to just one emotional outburst.
When your entire career is predicated on emotion...... I think some latitude is warranted.

After all...... He is a grown ass man.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose