Suns hire Monty Williams

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More psychological than monetary following five Head Coaches in five seasons.

This tells everyone that the Suns are finally ready to act responsibly and make
it possible for their players to succeed.
Don't you mean Sarver? C'mon. BC. Say it. I know its hard.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Don't you mean Sarver? C'mon. BC. Say it. I know its hard.
Sarver has been "the Suns", JC, with his micro-managing.

Now that he has possibly seen the light, I decided to go
easy on him.

But at the first sign of meddling or publicity seeking,
it won't be hard at all.

I was also showing hope for our new GM and Head
coach to keep the investor in his place.

OK? :)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BTW, JC. I am glad to hear that Jerry is somewhat
involved behind the scenes. As I posted previously,
we need him to be the conscience of the Suns at
his elder statesman age.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I never understood Sarver not using JC. Just another person to get information from. Even if you don't do what he says, it's valuable to get another opinion from someone with experience,

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I never understood Sarver not using JC. Just another person to get information from. Even if you don't do what he says, it's valuable to get another opinion from someone with experience,
One word: Ego. Maybe he's learned his lesson.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh, I get it. Sarver came in as a business man and looked not only at the Suns, but the business model for most of the NBA and thought the way they did business was crazy. He also had Steve Kerr as a buddy who had come from San Antonio, which had a more conservative business model. Sarver did not respect JC as a businessman, and maybe there was some substance to that. He might have had some respect for JC as a basketball guy, but he was able to sign Nash quickly and had success almost immediately under DAntoni. Then when that fizzled and he hired McD, they had a good year, Sarver thought that the basketball side was not that hard. When the breaks go your way a couple times, it is easy to think you are better than you are.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a slow news day but I saw AZCentral posted this interview of sorts with George King, who was one of our 2nd round picks last season. He seems very excited at the team hiring Monty Williams. It also says he's close to 100% after an injury late last year so he should be 100% by Summer League, which is good. Who knows if he sticks around or not, I'd forgotten about him entirely, but I guess he's depth if nothing else.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rge-king-impressed-monty-williams/1233552001/

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Yeah George King. Didn't we have another dude as well who played shooting guard and could sort of shoot and defend, but was a bit slow? I can't understand why we even care about second rounders. Did we have any use for anyone but Barbosa?

I hope Coach Monty gets some face time with the players sooner rather than later. Don't need any more news reports where Booker is wearing a scarf trying to punch people at a party with his gangster pal tiny PG. Jackson and Holmes are enough. Next thing Dragan Bender is eating tacos in the middle of the night with loose women.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Good hires. Any word on Mark Bryant? Ayton definitely needs a big man coach (though Monty was at least sort of a big man himself)...

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Good hires. Any word on Mark Bryant? Ayton definitely needs a big man coach (though Monty was at least sort of a big man himself)...
I haven’t heard anything, but Stein reported these two as possibilities along side Bryant a while ago so he definitely got some good intel which makes me think that Bryant is a really good possibility.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty Williams has reportedly offered Willie Green a position on his coaching staff.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Evan Sidery Retweeted Shams Charania

Mentioned in here Monty Williams has offered Warriors assistant Willie Green a lead position on his coaching staff.

Evan Sidery added,

Shams CharaniaVerified account @ShamsCharania

As teams continue placing calls on Anthony Davis, Pelicans and executive VP David Griffin have begun listening to teams, league sources told @TheAthleticNBA. Inside Pass on Davis and more from around the league: https://theathletic.com/1006765/201...s-begin-to-take-shape-plus-more-league-notes/

10:06 AM - 4 Jun 2019

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Monty Williams has reportedly offered Willie Green a position on his coaching staff.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Evan Sidery Retweeted Shams Charania

Mentioned in here Monty Williams has offered Warriors assistant Willie Green a lead position on his coaching staff.

Evan Sidery added,

Shams CharaniaVerified account @ShamsCharania

As teams continue placing calls on Anthony Davis, Pelicans and executive VP David Griffin have begun listening to teams, league sources told @TheAthleticNBA. Inside Pass on Davis and more from around the league: https://theathletic.com/1006765/201...s-begin-to-take-shape-plus-more-league-notes/

10:06 AM - 4 Jun 2019

Doesn't fill our need for a big man coach, but if anyone can be plucked from the Warriors' staff, it's hard to have a problem wirh that...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't fill our need for a big man coach, but if anyone can be plucked from the Warriors' staff, it's hard to have a problem wirh that...

It's where I am at as well.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I thought Corliss Williamson would be a really good head coach based on his physical style of play. Shows what I know. :( Who knows, this new guy could be really good. I have noticed improvement by almost every big man they have had on the roster. I don't know if that's the work of this coach.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Blake can be a player/coach? The search for a backcourt running mate continues...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
News on Monty's staff.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this mean we actually have Mark Bryant on the staff, or is this a misstatement?

I'm guessing the Suns are waiting to make a formal announcement.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So that makes 4 coaches, including Monty himself, that have direct ties to Kevin Durant...

You must be registered for see images attach

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I read more up on Willie Green. He has risen up quickly through GS, and is a favorite of Kerr. The part about being a big man coach, is Green was in charge of monitoring Cousin's rehab. Well thought of former player. Only three years at GS starting as a QA guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose