Carson Palmer and the ring of honor.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I like Palmer, but to put him in before guys like Larry Centers is criminal. There has to be an ulterior motive here.
We have to be honest here, relationships between the team & player matter too regardless how we feel about that as a factor. It does!

I hear ya TJ, but there are a lot more players more deserving over #37 (yes I was a huge fan):

1) Jim Bakken-all time leading scorer & likely will be forever. 17 years of service & all decade player in 60’s & 70’s...let that sink in!

2) Jackie Smith-HOF & probably the greatest TE in history until guys like Winslow, Sharpe & Gonzalez came around.

3) OJ Anderson-still the all time leading rusher & by a landslide.

4) Conrad Dobler-the nastiest & best OG the Cards ever had

5) Freddie Joe Nunn-underrated & still the all Time sack leader

Etc etc etc.

Without knowing all the details why others can’t seem to get in, some of the guys listed above have bad feelings towards the organization or/and vice versa. It’s a FACT with Jackie Smith & Dobler. Same with Quan & his NFC Championship tirade & contract situation. At some point I’m quite sure Los gets in & so will Dockett & Q.

The top 3 I listed are head & shoulders the player & value to the franchise that Centers was imo. Let’s hope at some point in our lifetime as well as these players we love get their well deserved tribute. As morbid as it may be when I said it, it make take Mr B’s death to make it a reality.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was tough as a $2 steak!!! Very good QB for Big Red despite some of his critics here.

If only he didn’t tear his ACL when we were rolling...who knows.

Mike,

We have had this discussion before. I am not dismissing anything Carson has done but Jackie Smith deserves it more than Palmer right now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If Boldin was even asked...

Do you think they wouldn't ask him because he's not deserving, or because the relationship is fractured beyond repair? The Cards have to know that Boldin remains one of the most popular Cardinals of the last 20 years; it would be a scene if he were to show up to get inducted.

Doubt if any player would turn down the honor.

Why? Maybe there's an honorarium associated with this, but these guys aren't going to provide free advertising of their name for nothing. At its core, this is a stunt to sell a few extra tickets (and get more Cards fans into the house for a game that's usually about 50% visiting fans).

I guarantee you that players would turn down this "honor." What other explanation can you provide for a guy to get inducted after just one season away from the team?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mike,

We have had this discussion before. I am not dismissing anything Carson has done but Jackie Smith deserves it more than Palmer right now.
Read above John. I don’t disagree with you bro but there are reasons & you & I both know why #81 isn’t in

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have to be honest here, relationships between the team & player matter too regardless how we feel about that as a factor. It does!

I hear ya TJ, but there are a lot more players more deserving over #37 (yes I was a huge fan):

1) Jim Bakken-all time leading scorer & likely will be forever. 17 years of service & all decade player in 60’s & 70’s...let that sink in!

2) Jackie Smith-HOF & probably the greatest TE in history until guys like Winslow, Sharpe & Gonzalez came around.

Etc etc etc.

Without knowing all the details why others can’t seem to get in, some of the guys listed above have bad feelings towards the organization or/and vice versa. It’s a FACT with Jackie Smith & Dobler. Same with Quan & his NFC Championship tirade & contract situation. At some point I’m quite sure Los gets in & so will Dockett & Q.

The top 3 I listed are head & shoulders the player & value to the franchise that Centers was imo. Let’s hope at some point in our lifetime as well as these players we love get their well deserved tribute. As morbid as it may be when I said it, it make take Mr B’s death to make it a reality.

The players we have seen the most at UOP in recent years have been Kwamie Lassiter (RIP), Frank Sanders, and Larry Centers. Always great to see them walking the concourse, posing for pictures, and signing autographs. All great guys. Nice to see players stick around a franchise/community/fanbase they played for and host charity events, etc.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll take "When the franchise is so bad you have to induct players who's success stretches to basically 1 really good season go into the Ring of Honor" for $500 Alex.

Seriously, he spent 5 seasons here, 2 of which he was injured for much of it, does this warrant an induction into the Ring of Honor? Especially when there are players like Mel Gray, Terry Metcalf, Jackie Smith(Hall of Famer), Conrad Dobler, Jake Plummer, Otis Anderson, among others who, IMO, are more deserving. Don't get me wrong, Palmer played well here but ring of honor worthy? I don't think so.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Do you think they wouldn't ask him because he's not deserving, or because the relationship is fractured beyond repair? The Cards have to know that Boldin remains one of the most popular Cardinals of the last 20 years; it would be a scene if he were to show up to get inducted.

In a vacuum, Boldin, and someone like Simeon Rice for that matter, are more deserving than Palmer. But if you take into account their conduct and unceremonious departures, that kind of removes them from consideration.

Perhaps extending a laurel to Boldin by way of offering a RoH selection would go a long way in rebuilding the relationship and energizing the fan base, but as far as I know, it's beyond repair at this point.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
What many here seem to be missing is that this is not a Hall of Fame type induction. It's the Ring of HONOR. It supposedly takes into account not only what he's done on the field, which is quite impressive: Single Season Passing Yards leader, Most TD's in a Single Season, Highest Career Passer Rating, Highest Passer Rating in a Single Season, Most Passing Yards per game for a season and a career, Only Cards QB to have back-to-back 4,000 yard seasons, Most 4,000 yard seasons as a Cardinal, Most 400 yard passing games, Most 300 yard games in a season, Most 300 yard games for a career... along with a few more franchise records...

But this recognition also takes into account the character of the person, the type of leader and toughness, the way he carried himself and represented the team off the field.

Taking all of the above into account, I can see how Palmer is a solid selection for the Ring of Honor. That said, I can also see Dansby being a strong consideration... Definitely not Dockett, though I loved him as a Cardinal. And I really hope the team and Anquan find a way to mend whatever sits between them as I would love to see Boldin be honored as well!

TJ

Reaction score
I'll take "When the franchise is so bad you have to induct players who's success stretches to basically 1 really good season go into the Ring of Honor" for $500 Alex.

Seriously, he spent 5 seasons here, 2 of which he was injured for much of it, does this warrant an induction into the Ring of Honor? Especially when there are players like Mel Gray, Terry Metcalf, Jackie Smith(Hall of Famer), Conrad Dobler, Jake Plummer, Otis Anderson, among others who, IMO, are more deserving. Don't get me wrong, Palmer played well here but ring of honor worthy? I don't think so.

Under no circumstance should Jake Plummer be in over Carson Palmer.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
5 years and you're in....that's ridiculous

was he good, yea. Great at times, but 5 years is not enough in my opinion.

just shows the Cardinals have had very few good players

Is Levi Brown in next? Nkemdichi is now wondering if he'll make it...and you gotta say 'he's got a shot' LOL

Calais Campbell would have to be added now
Patrick Peterson is a sure thing
Fitz - yes
Chandler Jones too

Justin Bethal on line 1

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only area I would differ is his popularity. Some, like me, will never forget him walking off the field with his panties in a bunch instead of celebrating with his team which had just earned a trip to the Super Bowl. That didn't sit too well with me.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only area I would differ is his popularity. Some, like me, will never forget him walking off the field with his panties in a bunch instead of celebrating with his team which had just earned a trip to the Super Bowl. That didn't sit too well with me.

Same here.

TJ

Reaction score

Etc etc etc.

I'm not 176 years old like you, so I can't attest to to some of the guys you mentioned from the St. Louis/Chicago years, though I will say there is probably some sort of statute of limitations involved w/r/t RoH inductions. Like, no one is going to rearrange their schedule to see Freddie Joe Nunn get inducted.

Maybe there needs to be a clear-cut criteria for how one is qualified entry into the RoH. UofA basketball has a concrete list of prerequisites before one is considered for its RoH. Carson Palmer just seems like a marketing ploy and someone who's fresh enough in our minds that it gets our attention and makes us talk about it more.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Under no circumstance should Jake Plummer be in over Carson Palmer.
People forget that Plummer took a team far less talented than what Palmer had to the playoffs...and won on the road. It wasn't Plummer's fault that they decided to break that team up instead of building on it. They literally did nothing to build Plummer a decent team around him and when they did, the year after that magical season they got rid of anyone who was any good.

TJ

Reaction score
People forget that Plummer took a team far less talented than what Palmer had to the playoffs...and won on the road. It wasn't Plummer's fault that they decided to break that team up instead of building on it. They literally did nothing to build Plummer a decent team around him and when they did, the year after that magical season they got rid of anyone who was any good.

Fans remember. But the reality of it all is that he wasn't a very good quarterback and arguably the least intelligent player I've ever seen play the position. I'm not saying that Carson Palmer should be in the RoH, but Palmer is unquestionably the better player.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What many here seem to be missing is that this is not a Hall of Fame type induction. It's the Ring of HONOR.
Up until 2014 inductions, every player in the Cardinals ROH was a hall of famer(with the exception of Tillman). The fact that Jackie Smith isn't in the ROH is a travesty.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fans remember. But the reality of it all is that he wasn't a very good quarterback and arguably the least intelligent player I've ever seen play the position. I'm not saying that Carson Palmer should be in the RoH, but Palmer is unquestionably the better player.
Maybe Plummer is a stretch but the other players I mentioned aren't.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People forget how bad the Cardinals were for most of their history.

Here's one example: Who was the all-time receptions leader before Anquan and Fitz came along?

Larry Centers.

He is still 3rd all-time.

TJ

Reaction score
I'm not going to go through each team's standards for RoH consideration, but I'd imagine that teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, Cowboys, and others have more stringent requirements.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Up until 2014 inductions, every player in the Cardinals ROH was a hall of famer(with the exception of Tillman). The fact that Jackie Smith isn't in the ROH is a travesty.

HOFers tend to be pretty solid character guys... Can you pick a current ROH member who was of questionable character?

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How about putting the Josh McCown/Nate Poole duo in the ROH ;)?? That play got us the future HOF Fitzgerald!!

Last edited: