Nice article by Darren Urban about our offense.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kliff Kingsbury was hired as Cardinals head coach for a multitude of reasons, one being his offensive mind and the way he has produced success on that side of the ball as a coach through the years. But he has not coached on the NFL level, and that does have a learning curve attached. There's a reason the Cardinals wanted veteran offensive assistants like passing game coordinator Tom Clements, offensive line coach Sean Kugler and running backs coach James Saxon to join the staff.

"There is a lot of give and take there," Kingsbury said. "There's a lot of things I bring to them, 'Hey, can we do this? Can we do that? Why can't we do that? Why haven't people done that?' So there are a lot of those conversations going on, which is good. Some we have figured out, some we won't figure out until we get through the preseason. But there are a lot of good conversations taking place."

Clements in particular has been good in telling Kingsbury if something might work or not, Kingsbury said. Scheming up plays in the office or in meetings is one thing, putting them into motion with real athletes on the field -- a field with more narrow hashmarks than Kingsbury dealt with in college, which affects where players line up and player spacing -- is another.

So what is Kingsbury's reaction when given such feedback? "Sometimes you say, 'OK' and sometimes you say 'We'll see,' " Kingsbury said. "Some things we have tried that haven't looked very good, we've scratched those. Some (others) remain to be seen."

One thing Kingsbury doesn't see himself doing is pulling a power trip as a head coach and force through a play or plays that aren't proving to be effective.

"I'm not too bull-headed when it comes to that stuff," he said. "I want to do what works and what's best for our team."

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff Kingsbury was hired as Cardinals head coach for a multitude of reasons, one being his offensive mind and the way he has produced success on that side of the ball as a coach through the years. But he has not coached on the NFL level, and that does have a learning curve attached. There's a reason the Cardinals wanted veteran offensive assistants like passing game coordinator Tom Clements, offensive line coach Sean Kugler and running backs coach James Saxon to join the staff.

"There is a lot of give and take there," Kingsbury said. "There's a lot of things I bring to them, 'Hey, can we do this? Can we do that? Why can't we do that? Why haven't people done that?' So there are a lot of those conversations going on, which is good. Some we have figured out, some we won't figure out until we get through the preseason. But there are a lot of good conversations taking place."

Clements in particular has been good in telling Kingsbury if something might work or not, Kingsbury said. Scheming up plays in the office or in meetings is one thing, putting them into motion with real athletes on the field -- a field with more narrow hashmarks than Kingsbury dealt with in college, which affects where players line up and player spacing -- is another.

So what is Kingsbury's reaction when given such feedback? "Sometimes you say, 'OK' and sometimes you say 'We'll see,' " Kingsbury said. "Some things we have tried that haven't looked very good, we've scratched those. Some (others) remain to be seen."

One thing Kingsbury doesn't see himself doing is pulling a power trip as a head coach and force through a play or plays that aren't proving to be effective.

"I'm not too bull-headed when it comes to that stuff," he said. "I want to do what works and what's best for our team."

He can say whatever he wants right now. Just like every player is looking great and optimism is running at high levels.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Every year it’s the same thing. In May/June, everyone looks great, rookies are transcendent, those recovering from injuries are ahead of schedule, and the team is going to win many games.

I didn’t buy that this team was anything special last season duding preseason and I’m certainly not buying it this year.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
To me this sounds like this year will be trial and error to see what works and what doesn't, hopefully more works then doesn't lol

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have hope this yr, much more than I did after game 1 last yr.

LOL. Did you still have hope after the 1st game last year? You're a better person than me. I consider myself fairly patient & still wrote off Wilks by halftime of the opener. I've seen some really bad Cardinal teams in my lifetime, but I don't think I ever saw a halftime stat where the opponent had 22 first downs & we had 2. I was convinced that we not only were the worst team in the NFL, but we were the worst Cardinal team I had ever seen.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LOL. Did you still have hope after the 1st game last year? You're a better person than me. I consider myself fairly patient & still wrote off Wilks by halftime of the opener. I've seen some really bad Cardinal teams in my lifetime, but I don't think I ever saw a halftime stat where the opponent had 22 first downs & we had 2. I was convinced that we not only were the worst team in the NFL, but we were the worst Cardinal team I had ever seen.
I didn't give up that easy but the horrible team they became was very visable at that moment lol. Actually I was making that "hope" comment to another OP whom was being negative. Basically I have hope this yr & last yr not so much lol.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Every year it’s the same thing. In May/June, everyone looks great, rookies are transcendent, those recovering from injuries are ahead of schedule, and the team is going to win many games.

I didn’t buy that this team was anything special last season duding preseason and I’m certainly not buying it this year.

I say this when I was on my hiatus and couldn't comment until now.

I think you are downplaying just how effusive the praise that Murray is receiving. Fitzgerald, Johnson, Pugh, Peters, Humphries, and a few others have offered significant praise of his abilities.

Fitz said that what they are seeing on the practice field WILL translate to games. There was no hedging of bets here.

Much to your chagrin and all of the keep Rosen crowd, its obvious that the players think Murray is going to be special. You and your ilk are going to be epically wrong about Murray.

In my opinion, 10 years from now were are all going to agree that dumping perennial backup Josh Rosen for multiple time Pro Bowler Kyler Murray was the right decision, and all indicators so far are pointing to this reality.

Rosen is behind Fitzpatrick and has had a lot of uneven performances in his OTA, while Murray has teammates describing him as "special", "electric", "believe the hype", and "a leader".

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We may diverge a bit here Krang. I think the praise is universal this time of year for the rookies. Especially from teammates. The only time I get worried is if we hear crickets. Then you know everyone thinks they suck ala Buster Davis.

I would rather sit back...... And wait for week 1 knowing that we are about to see our franchise make a monumental leap forward rather than continue to bicker with those who are still wondering how the milk got to the floor in the first place.

In short: The regular season can't come soon enough for me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We may diverge a bit here Krang. I think the praise is universal this time of year for the rookies. Especially from teammates. The only time I get worried is if we hear crickets. Then you know everyone thinks they suck ala Buster Davis.

I would rather sit back...... And wait for week 1 knowing that we are about to see our franchise make a monumental leap forward rather than continue to bicker with those who are still wondering how the milk got to the floor in the first place.

In short: The regular season can't come soon enough for me.

There is praise, but not this effusive.

I cant think of a single rookie that veterans have used the adjectives I mentioned.

Rosen was praised last year, but 1/10th as much.

TJ

Reaction score

I think you are downplaying just how effusive the praise that Murray is receiving. Fitzgerald, Johnson, Pugh, Peters, Humphries, and a few others have offered significant praise of his abilities.

Fitz said that what they are seeing on the practice field WILL translate to games. There was no hedging of bets here.

Much to your chagrin and all of the keep Rosen crowd, its obvious that the players think Murray is going to be special. You and your ilk are going to be epically wrong about Murray.

In my opinion, 10 years from now were are all going to agree that dumping perennial backup Josh Rosen for multiple time Pro Bowler Kyler Murray was the right decision, and all indicators so far are pointing to this reality.

Rosen is behind Fitzpatrick and has had a lot of uneven performances in his OTA, while Murray has teammates describing him as "special", "electric", "believe the hype", and "a leader".

That's all fine and dandy, but to make 10-year predictions about a kid's career because players have been enamored with his practice performance is a fool's errand. It's OTAs. Everything is vanilla. These environments are great for guys who are very athletic like Kyler.

Plus, you act like what we're hearing from players is something unique. Last offseason, Rosen was ripping up the first-string defense with scout team players and throwing balls like Troy Aikman. This happens every single season. After a while, you learn to take it all with a grain of salt.

Of course, you're going to put more value into what these players say because it reinforces your opinion. The fact of the matter is these aren't playing conditions. This is not even training camp or preseason. Much of the true Murray evaluation will come early in his first year.

As I've said 1000x - I'm not concerned with Murray's athletic ability. I'm concerned with his mental make up and ability to use his brain to fool NFL defenses. Being supremely athletic will win you a ton of football games in college, but wont necessarily translate into success in the NFL. If he learns the off-the-field side of being a quarterback, he will be extremely successful. If he doesn't demonstrate that, he will be average at best. The reason why Russell Wilson is as successful as he is despite his shortcomings is he's arguably the smartest and most mentally tough player in the NFL (not just QBs).

One more thing - I'm not rooting for Murray to fail. I hate this assertion that people make because I don't agree with the selection. If Murray fails, my team fails. It's that simple. I hope he wins a Super Bowl for us.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope that Krang is correct, and I'm a big Murray fan. But if anyone is keeping score, "Put me in the we'll see group".
Yup.

One thought - I cannot recall a time when we fans could get so excited over a "damn the torpedos" offense led by a multi-talented playmaker at QB

Win or lose - the next few years don't figure to be boring.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That's all fine and dandy, but to make 10-year predictions about a kid's career because players have been enamored with his practice performance is a fool's errand. It's OTAs. Everything is vanilla. These environments are great for guys who are very athletic like Kyler.

Plus, you act like what we're hearing from players is something unique. Last offseason, Rosen was ripping up the first-string defense with scout team players and throwing balls like Troy Aikman. This happens every single season. After a while, you learn to take it all with a grain of salt.

Of course, you're going to put more value into what these players say because it reinforces your opinion. The fact of the matter is these aren't playing conditions. This is not even training camp or preseason. Much of the true Murray evaluation will come early in his first year.

As I've said 1000x - I'm not concerned with Murray's athletic ability. I'm concerned with his mental make up and ability to use his brain to fool NFL defenses. Being supremely athletic will win you a ton of football games in college, but wont necessarily translate into success in the NFL. If he learns the off-the-field side of being a quarterback, he will be extremely successful. If he doesn't demonstrate that, he will be average at best. The reason why Russell Wilson is as successful as he is despite his shortcomings is he's arguably the smartest and most mentally tough player in the NFL (not just QBs).

One more thing - I'm not rooting for Murray to fail. I hate this assertion that people make because I don't agree with the selection. If Murray fails, my team fails. It's that simple. I hope he wins a Super Bowl for us.

Nope not making 10 year predictions based on practice performance...I'm making my prediction based on everything I know about Kyler Murray.

Rosen got 1/10th th praise. It's not even close.

Murray consistently uses his brain to fool defenses. He often fools defenses. Wilson the smartest QB? I dont know about that. I'd say there are probably 4-5 I'd call more intelligent (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Luck, maybe Rivers).

If you listen to what the players are saying, he already really gets the mental side and works really hard to prepare. One of the most ridiculous claims leveled against Murray is that he wasnt a hard worker, which is contradicted by anyone who has worked with him and is contradicted by how good his mechanics are, which takes 1,000s of hours to perfect.

TJ

Reaction score
Nope not making 10 year predictions based on practice performance...I'm making my prediction based on everything I know about Kyler Murray.

Rosen got 1/10th th praise. It's not even close.

Murray consistently uses his brain to fool defenses. He often fools defenses. Wilson the smartest QB? I dont know about that. I'd say there are probably 4-5 I'd call more intelligent (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Luck, maybe Rivers).

If you listen to what the players are saying, he already really gets the mental side and works really hard to prepare. One of the most ridiculous claims leveled against Murray is that he wasnt a hard worker, which is contradicted by anyone who has worked with him and is contradicted by how good his mechanics are, which takes 1,000s of hours to perfect.

I guess the alternative is worse, but at the end of the day, it’s just words. Perhaps I should care more, but at the same time, I don’t care that he apparently threw a few boneheaded INTs during OTAs.

BTW - welcome back!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I guess the alternative is worse, but at the end of the day, it’s just words. Perhaps I should care more, but at the same time, I don’t care that he apparently threw a few boneheaded INTs during OTAs.

BTW - welcome back!
Thanks.

I just honestly dont remember a single Cardinal getting this MUCH praise.

It might be a function of hype, but it's just cool to hear.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Unfortunately being a black QB with electric speed lead to wrong conclusions about Kyler's work ethic and intelligence. Sad but true. Everybody that's been around him vouches for his hard work, passion and smarts.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I highlighted the only relevant portion of your post.

You can talk smack about people who disagree with you all you want, but that's all it is: talk. You can talk about how much Card's players are talking up Murray--and I'm glad they are--but that's all it is: talk. Sure, I wish we would have kept Rosen, and hope he thrives, but I clearly want Murray to be as good as all his homers say he is. That would be the tastiest crow ever. Then again, if he lives up to that hype, he'd be tougher than a certain "Washington, Washingon!"

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Thanks.

I just honestly dont remember a single Cardinal getting this MUCH praise.

It might be a function of hype, but it's just cool to hear.
It's funny, because I don't hear anywhere near the level of hype you're hearing.

I hear the exact same kind of canned answers any young player gets in camp. And I feel like rarely are the players going out of their way to talk specifically about Kyler, it just happens to be the hottest question from the media right now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's funny, because I don't hear anywhere near the level of hype you're hearing.

I hear the exact same kind of canned answers any young player gets in camp. And I feel like rarely are the players going out of their way to talk specifically about Kyler, it just happens to be the hottest question from the media right now.

When players arent good, you hear thing like "Its an adjustment period and hes working really hard to get the offense down."

Fitz said "Kyler knows the offense better than anyone".

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
When players arent good, you hear thing like "Its an adjustment period and hes working really hard to get the offense down."

Fitz said "Kyler knows the offense better than anyone".
That's because he played in it and Larry's had the playbook for a couple of months?

Come on man, Larry says this kind of thing about everyone he plays with. He said really strong things about Rosen, someone you seem to hate, too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose