Song of Ice & Fire (aka Game of Thrones series)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured there are enough of us who have read this, or are now reading it due to HBO, that we could talk in here rather than clutter some of the tv thread with spoilers.

I just finished A Dance with Dragons, and really just want book 6 already.

In order of favorites in the series thus far:

• Book 3 - one of the best, most intense books I've ever read.
  • Book 1 - a fantastic introduction and quick hitting storyline that drew me in and set it all in motion. Most unexpected scene in a book for me in a long time.
  • Book 5 - Only elevated above 4 because of a few favorite characters and one I didn't think I'd want to read that I found myself fascinated by.
  • Book 4 - Better than people say, but likely only because I didn't have to wait 5 years for it and 5 more for book 5. Took me a bit to get into the whole Dorne angle. Loved the Petyr stuff in it though.
  • Book 2 - Good, but overall I didn't feel like a whole lot got added. Great stuff with Brienne and Jaime, but other than a few really crazy scenes (battle, Renley) it didn't stick with me.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't jibe with others' ranking, but that's what personal rankings are for.

Now, who wants to talk about who Jon Snow's mom could be? ;)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I'd probably swap 2 and 4 on your list. But when I read 4, I was busy reading the series back-to-back and was pissed most the main characters were cut out. Wanted to get through it as fast as possible to get to 5. I should probably go back and give it a second look, now that I know how some of the new characters fit into the world a little better.

Book 3 was the most brilliant book I ever read. I went through that in like 5 days, which considering its size, shows how much it rocked.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book 3 was the most brilliant book I ever read. I went through that in like 5 days, which considering its size, shows how much it rocked.

Now that I'm done, I'm thinking of going back and re-reading book 3. And I RARELY (if ever) re-read books.

I'm actually reading this book made from blog posts about a guy who re-read book 1 ten times, and what he gathers on the 10th read while he was waiting for book 5 to come out. It's kind of dumb, yeah, but there's a lot of interesting stuff in there that you'd never pick up on reading through the first time.

like early on in GoT when Tyrion is at the table eating with Jamie and Cersei after bran is pushed and expected cripple, Jaime says he couldn't ever live being a cripple, foreshadowing all over himself and his soon to be chopped off hand.

Stuff like that helps justify the two bucks I spent on the glorified blogroll book.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured there are enough of us who have read this, or are now reading it due to HBO, that we could talk in here rather than clutter some of the tv thread with spoilers.

I just finished A Dance with Dragons, and really just want book 6 already.

In order of favorites in the series thus far:

• Book 3 - one of the best, most intense books I've ever read.
  • Book 1 - a fantastic introduction and quick hitting storyline that drew me in and set it all in motion. Most unexpected scene in a book for me in a long time.
  • Book 5 - Only elevated above 4 because of a few favorite characters and one I didn't think I'd want to read that I found myself fascinated by.
  • Book 4 - Better than people say, but likely only because I didn't have to wait 5 years for it and 5 more for book 5. Took me a bit to get into the whole Dorne angle. Loved the Petyr stuff in it though.
  • Book 2 - Good, but overall I didn't feel like a whole lot got added. Great stuff with Brienne and Jaime, but other than a few really crazy scenes (battle, Renley) it didn't stick with me.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't jibe with others' ranking, but that's what personal rankings are for.

Now, who wants to talk about who Jon Snow's mom could be? ;)

Book three was unbelievable. One of the best books I've read ever.

My order would be:

• Book 3 - Obvious
  • Book 2 - Love the Imp and this is where he really starts to shine
  • Book 1 - Probably equal to book 2 for me but book 2 is fresher in my memory
  • Book 5 - Glad to have my favorite characters back but didn't like having to go back in time.
  • Book 4 - Why! I hate how he broke up Book 4 and 5 and missed my favorite characters. Thankfully I didn't have to wait for book 5 or I would have been pissed.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm done, I'm thinking of going back and re-reading book 3. And I RARELY (if ever) re-read books.

I'm actually reading this book made from blog posts about a guy who re-read book 1 ten times, and what he gathers on the 10th read while he was waiting for book 5 to come out. It's kind of dumb, yeah, but there's a lot of interesting stuff in there that you'd never pick up on reading through the first time.

like early on in GoT when Tyrion is at the table eating with Jamie and Cersei after bran is pushed and expected cripple, Jaime says he couldn't ever live being a cripple, foreshadowing all over himself and his soon to be chopped off hand.

Stuff like that helps justify the two bucks I spent on the glorified blogroll book.

Man I might have to go back and reread these books. Too bad I'm a slow A$$ reader and don't have much time for it. Maybe in 20 years when I retire. :sad:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ha, it turns out you'd started a thread about an hour before I suggested it in the TV forum.

Book 3 was amazing. But I think I liked book 2 a bit more than you did.

I'd probably put book 5 at the bottom of my list. Just because of the first 700 pages containing so much rehashed material, and all the perspectives from people from the Iron Islands, a faction in the story that you know will not win and contain some of the lesser compelling characters. I'd swap 2 and 5, but agree on the rest.

Among the topics I'd be interested in hashing out with people who have read the series:

Jon's heritage, and will he still be alive in book 6.
The Hound, alive or dead? I think he might be holed up in that monastery.
When the hell will Dani finally cross the narrow sea?
What do you think Varys' true intentions are?

I could keep going and going but hopefully the discussion will bring up stuff organically.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hound...hmm..I'm starting to feel that unless you see a corpse, don't think they are dead. And even then, maybe not if there is a red priest around.

I would like the Hound alive, but I'm hoping he's dead for sake of the story and the killing of characters.

Varys is still a mystery, but basically he just

wants the realm in conflict so when the Targs get back on Westeros, whomever makes it back, they will be able to easily retake the Iron Throne. That meeting with him and the Illister from across the sea that Arya overheard basically paints him as Targ to the max. :)

I really just need more of the Petyr and Alayne Stone storyline, myself. I think that is going to be HUGE in the final two books and

the darn littlefinger has the inside track on Lord of Winterfell and owning the title of King of the North.

Also, I think
Rickon is feral. Seriously. Him, shaggydog and that wildling are up to no good, and Davos is going to find a feral human lord stark when they finally meet up.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet I'll like book 2 more on re-read. It does have a lot of Jaime and Brienne and Tyrion.

Im considering rereading. I blew the dust off book one today.

Interesting thought about Rikon. With Bran probably turning himself into a tree (a plot line I am not thrilled with) he is the only hope of a legitimant Stark inheriting the North.

And I agree about characters being dead and staying dead would benefit the narrative (not excited about zombie Kate), but in the Hound's case all we have is the word of that monk, and they way the monk described some of the back-story of the monastery it would fit with the idea of the Hound being found wounded and the monks taking him in. And someone needs to kill zombie hounds brother "Ser Strong".

Speaking of "Robert Strong"... do you think he is headless in there or did the Dornish get a fake head sent their way?

And an aside about one of the many amazing things about book 3. Oberyn Martell. What an awesome character, and what a gutsy move by Martin to introduce a character with that level of charisma and such an interesting back-story and then axe him. Loved that guy, wish he had hung around longer.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I gotta think that the Books will continue to whittle down characters until we get a Jon/Dany heavy finale. I mean the two overarching stories are:

The Fight for the Iron Throne
The White Walkers awakening

I have to believe that if this really is a 7 book series, then Martin has to start thinning the heard quickly and moving his main pieces into those central conflicts.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I gotta think that the Books will continue to whittle down characters until we get a Jon/Dany heavy finale. I mean the two overarching stories are:

The Fight for the Iron Throne
The White Walkers awakening

I have to believe that if this really is a 7 book series, then Martin has to start thinning the heard quickly and moving his main pieces into those central conflicts.

With how much stuff in the early books plays into parts 3500 pages down the line, I am pretty sure Martin already knows exactly how he wants the bigger parts of the story to go down. But he sure is taking his sweet time getting there. Hopefully some part of his HBO contract stipulates that he needs to finish the books within a reasonable time-frame.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Gotta think John's fate at the end of the 5th book will be his out for breaking his vows and leaving the Night's Watch to fulfill the prophecy.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta think John's fate at the end of the 5th book will be his out for breaking his vows and leaving the Night's Watch to fulfill the prophecy.

Hard to imagine the Nights Watch even existing after the way book 5 ended.

I think in the long-term the reborn Jon is going to herd up the Wildlings with the help of Mance's woman and what portion of the Night's Watch that remains loyal to him and have quite the force in the North... but I'd think they will have to take care of the situation North of the wall before fulfilling the prophecy south of it.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Just finished book 5. It really picked up the pace at the end there and now I have to wait for book 6.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that the TV series and the books are basically caught up I decided to download the entire five books.

All 4750 pages

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am into the first of Dani's chapters

The story of her birth with her mother dying in childbirth and the brother blaming her for the death of their mother is the exact same as Tyrion.

Hmmmm

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Onto to the third book. Glad I am reading - providing a lot more detail than just binge-watching the show.

Man, are the Starks dumb or what? Robb and Catelyn deserved to die from stupidity. I am not at the Red Wedding yet, but know what is coming.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started to reread this series since it's been a while since I first read it. Picking up a lot of stuff I missed the first time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started to reread this series since it's been a while since I first read it. Picking up a lot of stuff I missed the first time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You must have a lot of time to kill!! :D

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be rereading as soon as the great bearded glacier announces a publication date. Have already re-read the first book and it was a really good experience.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I ordered this box set Saturday...just came in today..

George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones Leather-Cloth Boxed Set (Song of Ice and Fire Series): A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons: George R. R. Martin: 9781101965481: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51o4SafxrCL.@@AMEPARAM@@51o4SafxrCL

Leather/cloth bound... books are smaller..sized between paperbacks and Trade...very similar in size and binding to bibles with the soft leather cover...

very nice little set...and it is only 39.99 for all five books...actually cheaper than the paperbacks are.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, now that the show has ended, and presumably we know the outcome of the books, a couple of questions:

1) Will Martin ever publish the final book (s)
2) Do you have any interest in reading them?

Interesting re-reading this thread.

I am thinking of rereading them all...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave