His teammates are loving his potential

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler Murray's teammates are already comparing him to Patrick Mahomes
  • By Ryan Wilson
  • May 30, 2019 at 11:03 am ET • 2 min read
It's been a month since the Cardinalsselected Kyler Murray with the No. 1 overall pick -- and a year since they traded up to No. 10 to take Josh Rosen, who has since been traded to the Dolphins -- and somehow the already lofty expectations have grown for the NFL's shortest quarterback.

The Heisman Trophy winner and former Oklahoma standout is already drawing comparisons to one of the NFL's best young talents: 2018 MVP Patrick Mahomes.

Specifically, Murray's teammates knew he could run -- he rushed for over 1,000 yards last season for the Sooners -- but it's his arm that has left them wide-eyed.

You could compare it to that (Murray and Mahomes' arm strength). It's very unique, for sure," said wide receiver Christian Kirk, who played one year with Murray in college, via the Arizona Republic's Bob McManaman. "I've talked about it before. Obviously, everyone knows what he can do with his legs, but what he's able to do with his arm and just the way it comes off his hand. It's never a duck; it's always a spiral. It's just so quick coming off his hands and the ball is usually never late and it's usually never under-thrown."

Just to be clear: Murray's arm is as good as Mahomes?

"Yeah," added tight end Ricky Seals-Jones. "Kyler's a different guy, man. He's got it all. He can spin it. It's going to be fun to watch and it's going to be fun being out there making plays for him."

Running back David Johnson called it "a good comparison," and first-year coach Kliff Kingsbury, who coached Mahomes for three seasons at Texas Tech, didn't seem surprised that Murray and Mahomes were mentioned in the same breath, in part because both are wildly athletic, but also because both have baseball backgrounds.

"It's just a quick, efficient release," Kingsbury said of Murray. "He can drop it down. Pat [Mahomes] was the same way and is the same way. They can drop it down and not lose accuracy, not lose touch. They're so used to throwing from different platforms, different angles in baseball and it just translates over to football for them."

Meanwhile, Murray continues to grow into his role as face of the franchise.

"I mean, he obviously won MVP," Murray said of Mahomes and the comparisons. "I respect his game a lot, obviously. I think for me, it's just working to be myself and just be the best me I can be. But no, I take it as a compliment."

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Teammates aren't bringing it up — Miller Keim did and now the press is gonna be constantly asking about it.

Dumb narrative and unfortunate to place on the rookie. He's gonna be his own guy, and Mahomes had a full year to sit and develop.

They are similar but very different players. Both have the baseball background, but Mahomes is significantly bigger than Murray and Murray is significantly more athletic.

I did the flag detail for the Chiefs-Chargers opener at Stubhub and I stood about 10 feet away from Mahomes. He's a big dude compared to a normal human. Fisher was massive as was Kelce. The Chargers looked ALOT smaller than the Chiefs overall.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Teammates aren't bringing it up — Miller Keim did and now the press is gonna be constantly asking about it.

Dumb narrative and unfortunate to place on the rookie. He's gonna be his own guy, and Mahomes had a full year to sit and develop.
It's unfair to compare players like that but I get it, they came from the same college offense. Unfortunately the comparisons aren't gonna stop but I love the things his teammates are saying about his ability. I hope he ends up better than Mahomes? He can definitely run way faster & has better scrambling ability. No denying his passing ability either but Mahomes is already established & proved himself. Now it's Murray's turn.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They are similar but very different players. Both have the baseball background, but Mahomes is significantly bigger than Murray and Murray is significantly more athletic.

I did the flag detail for the Chiefs-Chargers opener at Stubhub and I stood about 10 feet away from Mahomes. He's a big dude compared to a normal human. Fisher was massive as was Kelce. The Chargers looked ALOT smaller than the Chiefs overall.

:eek: That's a sweet humblebrag. What a cool experience. Does that mean you presented the colors for the anthem?

Yeah, I was skeptical of Mahomes when he came out and remain cautious on him because he had so much talent around him. A Top 10 all-time head coach and an offensive line that (according to Michael Lombardi) got away with holding on every play.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
:eek: That's a sweet humblebrag. What a cool experience. Does that mean you presented the colors for the anthem?

Yeah, I was skeptical of Mahomes when he came out and remain cautious on him because he had so much talent around him. A Top 10 all-time head coach and an offensive line that (according to Michael Lombardi) got away with holding on every play.

During opening games, service members come out and hold that massive flag that covers the field.

The people from the Chargers were SUPER ******* though. I wouldn't want to do that detail again because of how poopy they treated us. We had to change into our dress uniform (the Marines didn't; they stayed in civilian clothes <rollseyes>) in a really hot, in air conditioned tent. Sauna-like. And then they were kind of yelling at us when we made mistakes. And they provided NO WATER after we had been sweating our asses off for a few hours.

I've done it twice for the Dodgers and they were great.

I'm NOT cautious on Mahomes, because yes he has great talent, but he makes throws that maybe a handful of QBs ever can make.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Corey Peters: Arizona Cardinals have roster to go from worst to 1st

One of the biggest unknowns is quarterback Kyler Murray and the new offense. Murray went first overall in this year’s NFL Draft and Peters said he is excited to see how his talent translates in the NFL.

“I think he is special,” Peters said. “[He has] incredible arm talent, as well as his feet.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1955...dinals-have-roster-to-go-from-worst-to-first/

When does it shift from teammates just complimenting him to the idea that maybe, just maybe, Kyler Murray really is as talented as some of us are saying? In my nearly 30 years of watching football (high school, college, and NFL), I've seen maybe 5 QBs that made as excited as he has (Manning, Luck, Newton, Mahomes, and Vick).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm really excited by the upside possible here with Murray but i'm pretty sure I remember the same kind of stuff said about Rosen and how advanced he was throwing the ball and yada yada yada round this time last year.
To be fair Rosen was himself a very good prospect and may still end up being a very good NFL QB. Murray is just on another level as a prospect and will hopefully be on a higher level than Rosen as an NFL QB.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm NOT cautious on Mahomes, because yes he has great talent, but he makes throws that maybe a handful of QBs ever can make.
Having been a huge proponent of Mahomes, there's still doubt. It's real easy to pull things like no look passes when your RB, WRs, and TE are streaking past people and can't be controlled.

With a slower, less talented team, and a year of film, I'd be a really concerned Chiefs fan that Mahomes starts putting those balls into the hands of defenders, when defenses decide they're not going to play his eyes like they would a normal QB. He'll adjust eventually, I'd bet, because he's a vert talented dude, but I have to let more than a year pass before anointing anyone as great.

everyone is really good when playing soccer
Agreed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Having been a huge proponent of Mahomes, there's still doubt. It's real easy to pull things like no look passes when your RB, WRs, and TE are streaking past people and can't be controlled.

With a slower, less talented team, and a year of film, I'd be a really concerned Chiefs fan that Mahomes starts putting those balls into the hands of defenders, when defenses decide they're not going to play his eyes like they would a normal QB. He'll adjust eventually, I'd bet, because he's a vert talented dude, but I have to let more than a year pass before anointing anyone as great.

Agreed.
Do you know how difficult it will be for defenders to retrain their basic instincts not to look at a guy’s eyes - particularly when every other week and for 90% of Mahomes passes it makes sense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the idea that ANY QB making no-look passes... and PINPOINT no-look passes is ever REAL EASY is ridiculous, no matter what kind of talent is around him.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Corey Peters: Arizona Cardinals have roster to go from worst to 1st

One of the biggest unknowns is quarterback Kyler Murray and the new offense. Murray went first overall in this year’s NFL Draft and Peters said he is excited to see how his talent translates in the NFL.

“I think he is special,” Peters said. “[He has] incredible arm talent, as well as his feet.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1955...dinals-have-roster-to-go-from-worst-to-first/

When does it shift from teammates just complimenting him to the idea that maybe, just maybe, Kyler Murray really is as talented as some of us are saying? In my nearly 30 years of watching football (high school, college, and NFL), I've seen maybe 5 QBs that made as excited as he has (Manning, Luck, Newton, Mahomes, and Vick).
Corey Peters, from right here in Louisville, KY. Played his college ball at Kentucky, I watched him grow from high school all the way through, hope he can stay healthy this season? At some point fans will start to realize his teammates are complimenting how they see him perform, not just to hype him up. You are 100% right my friend.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Let's see how well he does without Tyreke Hill if he gets released over his off the field stuff?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Murray has an elite arm in arm strength, it's much stronger than Mayfield but Mahomes' arm strength is John Elway good. Accuracy? I do believe that Murray is more accurate than Mahomes and Mayfield is more accurate than Mahomes. Mahomes is by no means inaccurate after seeing him play, and he really is like Favre in a comp arm wise overall. I think we have a great draft pick and the right coach to game plan for him, as Andy Reid has really benefited Mahomes' success... ten years ago, I would say hell no to both of them but now the game is a lot different to be a pro

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

No need to put EVEN MORE pressure on the youngster. I would keep the hype as low as possible if I were the front office

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
Mahomes is amazing, Hope Murray can turn out anything like him. Murray certainly doesn’t lack in talent and athleticism though. Being a top 10 pick in both the nfl and mlb drafts is just nuts and there’s a good chance we will never see another player do that.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No need to put EVEN MORE pressure on the youngster. I would keep the hype as low as possible if I were the front office

It's true Murray looked a little tight at the start of the AL game last year in the CFP.

However, he's been bred for the big stage, even going back to high school.

And we saw evidence of this in his clutch play during in 2018.

Last year, OU's horrific defense kept almost every game close, and the pressure was on Murray and the offense to score pretty much every time they took they field. To even come from behind in certain games.

But just like the mailman, K1 delivered.

"The big stage" is one of the mental constructs that can defeat a pro QB, but I'm confident Murray is equal to this particular challenge.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm really excited by the upside possible here with Murray but i'm pretty sure I remember the same kind of stuff said about Rosen and how advanced he was throwing the ball and yada yada yada round this time last year.
Totally agree, people are setting themselves up for a major disappointment with all this hype. The posts here about Murray being a better prospect than Rosen coming into NFL are biased because Rosen looked bad last year after being put in a bad situation with inept coaches and a JV HS OL last year. Murray comes into the same situation this year so we’ll see, he has better receivers this year and an offensive coach but this OL can throw a wrench into this season if Humphries, Pugh and Gilbert make their annual appearances on the IR.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA