The Arizona Diamondback Bullpen woes....

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holland has looked great so far. I don’t have the feeling of absolutely dread when he comes in like I did with Rodney or Boxberger. I hope he keeps it up!!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BUMP

Oh, how Archie does not belong in the photo at the upper right of the
ASFN D-backs board with the Big Unit, Gonzo and Goldy.

If we had a Public Relations rookie of the year, it would have been Archie.

But that's about it for the one-pitch pony, who is now come-down player
of the year.

I don't like to disparage a D-backs player, but including him with legends
because of his beard, or public speaking skills, was an act of desperation.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Speaking of bullpen woes, Zack Godley has once again been removed from the starting rotation
and will pitch long relief out of the bullpen. He, with the worst ERA in the league -- 7.90.

That equates to 6 earned runs every 7 innings pitched this season. Most of them as a starter.

Does anyone know if he is eligible to be sent to the Minors or put on waivers?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...t-hander-zack-godley-back-bullpen/3747267002/

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
At least they didn't pitch Godley in the loss to Colorado in Game 1.

You must be registered for see images attach

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hirano, Chafin, and Bradley ..The Three Stooges of Baseball

Chafin is fine, if he is limited to starting innings fresh, rather than coming in with runners on base.

Hirano is also fine, if he can fall back into a routine and have a steady, regular role, like he had in Japan (and like he had to start last season, when he was lights out...until Torey started tinkering again).

Archie is mentally gone and either needs to be fixed in the minors or else cut.

A lot of this falls on poor coaching and poor game management.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What do you mean by Archie being mentally gone?

He basically looks like Mark Wohlers or Rick Ankiel out there. All control and confidence is gone, so all he can do to come close to throwing strikes is groove straight fastballs that get clobbered. Otherwise, the ball is all over the place like Wild Thing Vaughn. It's pretty clear Archie's issues are psychological.

Last edited:

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
He basically looks like Mark Wohlers or Rick Ankiel out there. All control and confidence is gone, so all he can do to come close to throwing strikes is groove straight fastballs that get clobbered. Otherwise, the ball is all over the place lije Wild Thing Vaughn. It's pretty clear Archie's issues are psychological.
That's a shame. He was basically Andrew Miller 2 years ago. Some of the best setup work I had ever seen. I hope he can get straightened out.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This bullpen is killing us. With even Greinke unable to go past 6 we need a lot of innings from a really suspect group. Starting an “Opener” only makes things worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's a shame. He was basically Andrew Miller 2 years ago. Some of the best setup work I had ever seen. I hope he can get straightened out.

It pretty much started last year when Lovullo started switching between Archie and Hirano in terms of which pitched the 7th and which pitched the 8th (which is also around when Hirano's struggles started). Not necessarily saying it was the cause, but the correlation is pretty noteworthy, in my opinion.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He basically looks like Mark Wohlers or Rick Ankiel out there. All control and confidence is gone, so all he can do to come close to throwing strikes is groove straight fastballs that get clobbered. Otherwise, the ball is all over the place like Wild Thing Vaughn. It's pretty clear Archie's issues are psychological.

I suggest that if Archie has any psychological issues, they are caused by his limited skills. As you
said, all he can do to come close to throwing strikes is groove straight fastballs that get clobbered.

What are his skills? He has a beard. (He didn't look very menacing without one.) :)
You must be registered for see images attach

And he has a good personality. He was thrust into the limelight and, when his limited pitching
repertoire caught up with him, he had farther to fall. That would be the psychological part.

-- His straight fast ball is worthy of AA Minor League at best.
-- His curve ball is not even Minor League worthy.
-- His changeup . . . he doesn't have a changeup.

Archie's 1-year contract expires at the end of the season. It is worth $1,830,000 guaranteed.
The best the D-backs could do is
what they would do with a GM or Field Manager. Be stuck
paying him and let him walk.

And, regarding Yoshi, who is 35 years old and whose skills have declined, do the same. He is
in the second year of his 2-year contract worth $3,000,000 guaranteed for the remainder of
the season.

It is time to rebuild the 7th and 8th inning reliever situation. The sooner the better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose