2019 O-line discussion

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure about this thread lol, but here we go.

There is a lot of pressure on the group to rebound in 2019, especially with No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray at quarterback. He is an electric dual threat talent but is also small for a QB at 5-foot-10 and 207 pounds. The line must keep him as clean as possible.

The Cardinals want their five best linemen on the field not only for their talent but also for cohesiveness. It is something that has been severely lacking the past few years.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/cardinals-offensive-linemen-glad-for-fresh-start
Humphries is noticeably more chiseled this offseason as he tries to be proactive to stave off injuries, and is pledging to take things slowly to avoid aggravating his knee injury.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Humphries plays well this season, it's going to be a real tough decision. Do you resign him, and pay him $14 million + per year, or do you let him walk?
If he stays healthy and has a really good year, then, of course you resign and pay him but that is a pretty big IF.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Arizona Cardinals' offensive line will determine the success of the air-raid offense
The bigger story was watching four of the projected starters along the offensive line participate in individual and team drills after each of them finished last year on season-ending injured reserve — D.J. Humphries, Justin Pugh, A.Q. Shipley and Marcus Gilbert.

It figures the offensive line was largely ignored, says new left guard J.R. Sweezy, noting linemen like himself notoriously get the cold shoulder.

"It’s really a shame, too, because I think the O-line is the heart and soul of the entire team,” said Sweezy, a seven-year veteran who joined the Cardinals as a free agent on a two-year deal worth $9 million. “You don’t get talked about much unless it’s negatively, but you kind of bring along the team and nothing really works without us.”
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...e-line-determine-success-air-raid/3755929002/

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if one of the predicted starting five misses opening day due to some type of injury. I just don't have a lot of faith in this line at this point. Too many question marks to say this line will be intact after 5-6 games.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If Humphries plays well this season, it's going to be a real tough decision. Do you resign him, and pay him $14 million + per year, or do you let him walk?

If he plays, and if he plays well, this will not be a tough decision at all... LTs are hard to draft and legit ones are seldom a free agent

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s what the Franchise tag is for.

More than likely will come to this unless he plays and is terrible. Otherwise if he shows any sign of being able to play we shouldn't let him walk. And with his injury history I would want to see him stay healthy for more than one season before giving him a long term deal. Hopefully he gives us two good, healthy years and then pay the man.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
NFL.com: Kyler Murray’s O-line is the big Cardinals summer storyline

Not Kliff Kingsbury’s initiation to NFL life. Not Patrick Peterson’s absence, nor rookie Kyler Murray’s impact.

Those are all fine storylines to pay attention to this summer as the Arizona Cardinals put the pieces together under a first-year head coach and a No. 1 overall pick at quarterback. But maybe the subplot that matters most is the one that will have the biggest impact on on the field in 2019.
http://arizonasports.com/story/1954...o-line-is-the-big-cardinals-summer-storyline/

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on our recent negative OL history -

If Hump plays well, you pay him in order to keep him.

The only thing that costs more than overpaying for talent is the cost of the "death watch" as you cross your fingers "waiting" for new talent to appear.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep he was a good but I was thinking Dierdorf, Dobler, Banks and Young they may have been the best all around line the Cards have ever had I'm sure there was other individual players but to my knowledge this was the group

Yes, as a unit, the 70's group above was the last great unit for the Cardinals. Let's not forget that the Cardinals had a very good OL in the 60's also. In 1968, the Cardinals had 4/5 starters in the Pro Bowl on their roster: Bob DeMarco, Irv Goode, Ken Gray, and Ernie McMillan. That group paved the way to 22 Cardinal rushing touchdowns that year. I'm pretty sure the Cardinals haven't done that since. The 70's group had 3 Pro Bowl starters in 1975: Dierdorf, Banks, and Young. Both groups were phenomenal. Hanifan even had some good lines in the 80's with Sharpe, Bostic, Tootie Robbins, Lance Smith.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
It was really a bad year for O line talent both in free agency and the draft I was wanting Lindstrom from BC but he went way to early would have ran to podium with that pick in the 2nd round though