Suns Get The 6th Pick

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. I’ll be shocked if those guys are difference makers.

I am expecting an offseason of supreme disappointment and another year of disappointment.

Keep Oubre, sign a veteran point guard and add some bulk at power forward. It really shouldn't be this hard.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Keep Oubre, sign a veteran point guard and add some bulk at power forward. It really shouldn't be this hard.
It really isn’t that easy. You have to convince players to come here. We have been epically bad for three straight seasons. And haven’t had a pg or PF. Count me as skeptical they’ll be successful.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
MORE LIKE TACKO TALL

It’s hard to say Tacko Fall “won” the combine, but he’s certainly the most unique human being to come through it.

The Central Florida center measured 7-foot-7 in shoes, 289 pounds and with an 8-foot-2 1/4-inch wingspan. His standing reach is 2 inches above the rim.

Wish we had time to develop this guy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn’t hard to determine what team needs are. We do that here every day.

The hard part is putting it into practice.

It really isn’t that easy. You have to convince players to come here. We have been epically bad for three straight seasons. And haven’t had a pg or PF. Count me as skeptical they’ll be successful.

The Suns can match any offer to Oubre and they should. He is the third piece along with Booker and Ayton.

Adding bulk at power shouldn't be that difficult in free agency as the Suns need not look for a star. Players like Trey Lyles, Thaddeous Young, Aminu or Tai Gibson should be available at a reasonable price.

The Suns may need to clear some salary but there are veteran point guards that should be available in free agency like Rose, Joseph, or Collison. Trade of course is an option for a player like Rozier.

My priority would be keeping Oubre, adding a point guard and lastly power forward.

The draft should provide some help as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns can match any offer to Oubre and they should. He is the third piece along with Booker and Ayton.

Adding bulk at power shouldn't be that difficult in free agency as the Suns need not look for a star. Players like Trey Lyles, Thaddeous Young, Aminu or Tai Gibson should be available at a reasonable price.

The Suns may need to clear some salary but there are veteran point guards that should be available in free agency like Rose, Joseph, or Collison. Trade of course is an option for a player like Rozier.

My priority would be keeping Oubre, adding a point guard and lastly power forward.

If all they do is sign like Joseph and Thad young and draft somebody like hunter the team will barely be improved.

They need to do better than that. Not saying I think they will, but somehow it needs to happen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all they do is sign like Joseph and Thad young and draft somebody like hunter the team will barely be improved.

They need to do better than that. Not saying I think they will, but somehow it needs to happen.

They didn't get Zion and they won't sign any of the A list free agents so I would say it's a safe bet that most of the improvement next year will come from player development and hopefully good health. It would be nice to find outside answers for the PG and PF positions but I don't hold out much hope. Still, I think we can improve by 20 games or so just with Booker being healthy all season, Oubre here all season, Warren (or an equivalent player via trade) and more development from Bridges, Melton, Okobo and Ayton.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If only the Suns could switch to the Eastern conference I could see them making the playoffs next year adding something like Joseph and Young.

I know the top of the East improved this year but I wonder if there will ever be parity amongst the conferences again, where the 8th seeds from each conference post similar records and one conference isn't that much deeper and more difficult to climb up the standings in.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
They didn't get Zion and they won't sign any of the A list free agents so I would say it's a safe bet that most of the improvement next year will come from player development and hopefully good health. It would be nice to find outside answers for the PG and PF positions but I don't hold out much hope. Still, I think we can improve by 20 games or so just with Booker being healthy all season, Oubre here all season, Warren (or an equivalent player via trade) and more development from Bridges, Melton, Okobo and Ayton.
Booker might be healthier all season if he is not worn down by having to be the best facilitator as well as scorer.

We need to acquire an experienced Point Guard to feed Booker and Ayton. The answer is not within the organization.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker might be healthier all season if he is not worn down by having to be the best facilitator as well as scorer.

We need to acquire an experienced Point Guard to feed Booker and Ayton. The answer is not within the organization.

And yet he was only really healthy after a season long run at being just what you described. But I agree, he needs some help.

Booker needs a backcourt partner that keeps the defense honest in addition to all those other things we want from a PG but just being a threat could make a world of difference for us. Obviously I'd be thrilled with someone that could actually run an offense, feed the post, pick and roll effectively, shoot from distance, protect the dribble, drive and dish, drive and finish, defend the position and provide leadership but so far no one has answered our PG Help Wanted Ad.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

After watching Aminu this playoffs, I would be very happy with him. I doubt his team can afford to let him go as far as team talent goes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not looking for a player like Thad Young to move the needle much. What I want is stronger play from the power forward position. The Suns were sadly lacking there. I want an improvement over Bender.

Where I'm looking to see the Suns improvement is at point guard while keeping Oubre. If the Suns lose Oubre they begin the search for a third piece all over again.

I've always though the Suns would be vastly improved with competent point guard play. Tyler Johnson gave the Suns a taste of it for 13 games. A player like Joseph, Tyler Johnson and a point guard in the draft would move the Suns forward.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a player like Thad Young to move the needle much. What I want is stronger play from the power forward position. The Suns were sadly lacking there. I want an improvement over Bender.

Where I'm looking to see the Suns improvement is at point guard while keeping Oubre. If the Suns lose Oubre they begin the search for a third piece all over again.

I've always though the Suns would be vastly improved with competent point guard play. Tyler Johnson gave the Suns a taste of it for 13 games. A player like Joseph, Tyler Johnson and a point guard in the draft would move the Suns forward.
I agree. Bender would be way better at SF in that he can guard quicker players and shoot over them. Unfortunately we have too many guys there already. At PF and Center Bender needed to rebound much stronger. We need a guy who can shot block and sweep the boards. Any shooting is a plus because we have guys that can score already.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only the Suns could switch to the Eastern conference I could see them making the playoffs next year adding something like Joseph and Young.

I know the top of the East improved this year but I wonder if there will ever be parity amongst the conferences again, where the 8th seeds from each conference post similar records and one conference isn't that much deeper and more difficult to climb up the standings in.

We'd have to figure out a way to move Arizona.

On a more serious note I'm hoping when Stephen Curry slows down, the West will be more competitive for all the teams in it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Bender would be way better at SF in that he can guard quicker players and shoot over them. Unfortunately we have too many guys there already. At PF and Center Bender needed to rebound much stronger. We need a guy who can shot block and sweep the boards. Any shooting is a plus because we have guys that can score already.

Trey Lyles and Thomas Bryant are at the top of my list for big men. I'd be thrilled to get either.

I've liked Lyles for a long time. I think he will blossom given the right opportunity. He would look great in a Suns uniform. The Suns need to do whatever they can to get him from Denver. He is a RFA. They might not match an offer sheet but I'd be willing to do a trade. I think he can be that good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After watching Aminu this playoffs, I would be very happy with him. I doubt his team can afford to let him go as far as team talent goes.

I think he will be obtainable. My preference is Trey Lyles which I just ranted about.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think he will be obtainable. My preference is Trey Lyles which I just ranted about.
My thinking is we need two PFs. Resign Holmes. Then we have two Centers and two PFs. Maybe extend a minimum contract to Bender who can play both and would be at the end of the bench and continue to let him mature and develop. That would pretty much cover our bigs for the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thinking is we need two PFs. Resign Holmes. Then we have two Centers and two PFs. Maybe extend a minimum contract to Bender who can play both and would be at the end of the bench and continue to let him mature and develop. That would pretty much cover our bigs for the team.

This is pretty much the way I see it if the Suns can obtain Lyles and keep Holmes. If Bender is a veteran minimum type player then I can live with it although there are some players I like much better such as Thomas Bryant.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is pretty much the way I see it if the Suns can obtain Lyles and keep Holmes. If Bender is a veteran minimum type player then I can live with it although there are some players I like much better such as Thomas Bryant.
Why not Lyles and Bryant?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not Lyles and Bryant?

If you can get both you will make me a happy man. I think both of these players are on the way up and have tons of upside.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We'd have to figure out a way to move Arizona.
If you figure out a way to move Arizona back east . . . I'm moving to the new Phoenix of the desert -- Las Vegas.

Ah, the shrimp at the Bacchanal Buffet at Caesars. And the ambiance of the Paris Las Vegas hotel. And the shows.

Besides, if they moved Arizona back east, Sarver would probably sell and get an expansion team for Las Vegas or
San Diego. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you figure out a way to move Arizona back east . . . I'm moving to the new Phoenix of the desert -- Las Vegas.

Ah, the shrimp at the Bacchanal Buffet at Caesars. And the ambiance of the Paris Las Vegas hotel. And the shows.

Besides, if they moved Arizona back east, Sarver would probably sell and get an expansion team for Las Vegas or
San Diego. :)

BC, you are living the life! I'm so happy for you.

I guess we will never be able to have that cheeseburger at Majerles. Oh well, maybe we can have shrimp in Las Vegas.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BC, you are living the life! I'm so happy for you.

I guess we will never be able to have that cheeseburger at Majerles. Oh well, maybe we can have shrimp in Las Vegas.

If you ever want to meet at Majerle's, PM me. And, as far as Las Vegas, I've had
to cut back on my annual trips, even though a good friend and his wife live there.

I was just joking about moving to Vegas if someone "figures out a way to move
Arizona back east." My older son, daughter-in-law and grandson live in the Valley.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose