Insight into Management from Rosen on Rich Eisen Show

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was up in Phx today and listened to Gambo & Burns for quite a while. They took on this topic and I thought Gambo had the right take on the situation. He pointed out that Kliff called Rosen, both right before they drafted Kyler, and again the next day, and by Rosen's own account, they were both good and sincere calls that he appreciated. Gambo's take was - what the hell is he whining about then? How many people from the front office needed to call him? If nobody had called - yeah, really bad look. But Kingsbury was the guy, and they probably discussed it first, and he probably said "hey, I've got a good relationship with Josh, I'll make the call." And he did. Period/end of story. How many people should have called?? 2? 3? 4? Kliff's call should be enough. And he made a really good argument for it, and I came away 100% in agreement. He also questioned why Josh is even talking about the Cards at all at this point. He should be looking forward. He already addressed the situation at his Dolphins press conference. Time to move on.

There are plenty of reasons to be dissatisfied with Keim, but this just isn't one of them. Give him heat for creating the situation in the first place, or his other draft failures, or hiring Wilks, etc.. but this lack of a freaking phone call outrage is just stupid.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First...... He should have called him. Multiple times over the course of the draft process and then after he sent him packing. Total dick move, but I’m really not surprised. Keim doesn’t impress anyone at this point and I think he relishes playing the heel now.

As far as Rosen....... There is something there. Not to the level of Cutler or AB...... but I’m telling you,....... He has something that rubs people wrong.

In short, I think there is a level of culpability on both sides.

Best for all of us to just move on now because you can’t look good no matter what side your on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree. There is more to this story than we are being told. Imo I couldn't get over just how much NFLN analysts were beating home the idea that Rosen may just speak his mind 'a little too much' or possibly be too questioning in general for most coaches tastes. I just thought it was odd how much it was mentioned is all. Jmo

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
stats and videos dont lie
its not about simpathy or antipathy, its about being neutral analysing his season
Some good throws at beginning then a it was free falling where he got worse week by week

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I was up in Phx today and listened to Gambo & Burns for quite a while. They took on this topic and I thought Gambo had the right take on the situation. He pointed out that Kliff called Rosen, both right before they drafted Kyler, and again the next day, and by Rosen's own account, they were both good and sincere calls that he appreciated. Gambo's take was - what the hell is he whining about then? How many people from the front office needed to call him? If nobody had called - yeah, really bad look. But Kingsbury was the guy, and they probably discussed it first, and he probably said "hey, I've got a good relationship with Josh, I'll make the call." And he did. Period/end of story. How many people should have called?? 2? 3? 4? Kliff's call should be enough. And he made a really good argument for it, and I came away 100% in agreement. He also questioned why Josh is even talking about the Cards at all at this point. He should be looking forward. He already addressed the situation at his Dolphins press conference. Time to move on.

There are plenty of reasons to be dissatisfied with Keim, but this just isn't one of them. Give him heat for creating the situation in the first place, or his other draft failures, or hiring Wilks, etc.. but this lack of a freaking phone call outrage is just stupid.

Rosen was talking about the Cardinals because that's what Eisen questioned him on. I guess Gambo didn't really listen to the interview. Eisen poised the questions and Rosen answered them. As for Keim he's the GM, he's the guy who drafted Rosen. Keim should have put on his big boy pants and called Rosen.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Loves everybody in the building “except for one or two guys.” Only thing that irritates him is that Steve Keim still hasn’t talked to him since before the trade. Kliff called him a minute before the draft and then followed up with a call to see how he was doing the next day. Poor reflection on Keim. He reached out to Kyler to support him but has not heard back

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Boo fricken hoo Who cares? Just a rich candy ass

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's possible that SK thought it more important to concentrate on the Draft, and not on a former failed draft pick.

Exactly. The organization chose KK to reach out to Rosen, and he did. Why we continue to weep over Rosen issues is beyond me. For whatever reasons there were (and there were many), Josh Rosen didn't work out for us. His play did contribute to us having the worst team in football, and that is why Murray was available to us. Argue as we may, Steve Wilks was NOT Keim's first choice last year. Keim is still in AZ because MB wanted SW & that turned out to be a debacle. Keim has now been given complete control over football decisions. Trust me, if we resemble last year's team, Keim will be gone. On paper, he's had a very good draft. Let's see if it carries over to the field. Rosen is no longer a Cardinal & we should move on.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rosen was talking about the Cardinals because that's what Eisen questioned him on. I guess Gambo didn't really listen to the interview. Eisen poised the questions and Rosen answered them. As for Keim he's the GM, he's the guy who drafted Rosen. Keim should have put on his big boy pants and called Rosen.

So what if Eisen posed that question. Rosen needs to put his big boy pants on and deflect the question. All he needed to say was "I am a Miami Dolphin now, and very excited to be here. I enjoyed my stint in AZ, but it's time to move on." End of discussion regarding the Cardinals.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So what if Eisen posed that question. Rosen needs to put his big boy pants on and deflect the question. All he needed to say was "I am a Miami Dolphin now, and very excited to be here. I enjoyed my stint in AZ, but it's time to move on." End of discussion regarding the Cardinals.

Agree with your post !

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
Like any organization, a football team's character starts at the top.
For years under Bill, the Cards were known for being 2nd class. Michael's apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Whatever Keim is, has been greatly shaped my Michael. He's the homegrown product of this organization/ownership.
I have little doubt that our odd positioning in the run up to the draft was "masterminded" by MB and executed by Keim.
Kliff is new and had nothing to do with the selection of Rosen. For MB or SK, who have been involved with Rosen from the start and are his actual bosses, to not reach out is low class. It doesn't surprise me in the least.
As a person or an organization, doing things right pays dividends in the long run. The history of this franchise shows what happens when your leadership is weak/of low character.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Exactly. The organization chose KK to reach out to Rosen, and he did. Why we continue to weep over Rosen issues is beyond me. For whatever reasons there were (and there were many), Josh Rosen didn't work out for us. His play did contribute to us having the worst team in football, and that is why Murray was available to us. Argue as we may, Steve Wilks was NOT Keim's first choice last year. Keim is still in AZ because MB wanted SW & that turned out to be a debacle. Keim has now been given complete control over football decisions. Trust me, if we resemble last year's team, Keim will be gone. On paper, he's had a very good draft. Let's see if it carries over to the field. Rosen is no longer a Cardinal & we should move on.

This isn't about Rosen. It's about Keim and our front office.

There is a right way to handle things (professionally) and a bush league way. I thought we turned the corner on the old way of doing business. The handling of Rosen (not Rosen) and the trade were done poorly. How many other players are upset with our FO? Where there is smoke...

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
jesus... this makes me dislike #MillerKeim even more than I already did. The coach, who had pretty much zero relationship with Rosen was classy enough to call him on draft day and the next day to wish him luck. but the guy who drafted him, then dangled him out to dry for the entire lead up the draft can't even call and say "Hey Kid... good luck"?

That's lame man. Just freaking lame.

Agree. He should have been transparent with Rosen thoughout the process and given him the courtesy of a freaking phone call. It's not that hard to be nice, and in any event, it's good business. Makes Keim look like a douchebag, which is the issue.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It's possible that SK thought it more important to concentrate on the Draft, and not on a former failed draft pick.
Keim was so hyper focused on the draft for two months that he couldn’t talk to Rosen at all? And when it came time to make the trade or the Murray pick, KK, the man in the building with the least amount of time spent with Rosen, had to make the call?

The contingency here that keeps saying nonsense like, “boo hoo,” “stop whining, rich boy,” “failed draft pick,” etc. are not looking at the big picture. Even though Josh Rosen is no longer here, the problem in the office still exists. Rosen, Patrick Peterson, Darnell Dockett, Tony Jefferson, and a good amount of other current and former players, have been saying to anyone who’ll listen that the FO is dysfunctional. At a certain point, like what I did, you have to take a step back and wonder why so many are so frustrated with how day-to-day operations are handled and why the product on the field is getting worse. You can blame the Bidwills all you want because that seems to be the comfortable move for decades, but Keim has been either a scolded child put in the corner for a timeout during significant personnel moves, or is the one who is front-and-center with a string of poor decisions. Either way, Keim is not succeeding at his position.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Keim was so hyper focused on the draft for two months that he couldn’t talk to Rosen at all? And when it came time to make the trade or the Murray pick, KK, the man in the building with the least amount of time spent with Rosen, had to make the call?

The contingency here that keeps saying nonsense like, “boo hoo,” “stop whining, rich boy,” “failed draft pick,” etc. are not looking at the big picture. Even though Josh Rosen is no longer here, the problem in the office still exists. Rosen, Patrick Peterson, Darnell Dockett, Tony Jefferson, and a good amount of other current and former players, have been saying to anyone who’ll listen that the FO is dysfunctional. At a certain point, like what I did, you have to take a step back and wonder why so many are so frustrated with how day-to-day operations are handled and why the product on the field is getting worse. You can blame the Bidwills all you want because that seems to be the comfortable move for decades, but Keim has been either a scolded child put in the corner for a timeout during significant personnel moves, or is the one who is front-and-center with a string of poor decisions. Either way, Keim is not succeeding at his position.
This.

Maybe instead of spending time on video gushing about how fun it is that Byron Murphy's former teammates were drafted in the second round, he could have taken a moment for a phone call?

I don't know what organizations you all have worked for, or what kind of leaders you are, but when you make a tough business decision that uproots someone's life, it's normally protocol to at least thank them for their hard work and let them move on.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This.

Maybe instead of spending time on video gushing about how fun it is that Byron Murphy's former teammates were drafted in the second round, he could have taken a moment for a phone call?

I don't know what organizations you all have worked for, or what kind of leaders you are, but when you make a tough business decision that uproots someone's life, it's normally protocol to at least thank them for their hard work and let them move on.
One man's right is another man's wrong ...and so on and so forth. It is what it is..I'm no Keim fan or homer in any way. But he has no responsibility to do what others believe he should do imo.. at the end of the day some will like the guy and other will hate him for the way he conducts his business. That goes for Rosen and any other player....and I'm sure that is the case with most owners and GM's when it comes to how players 'feel' they should be treated. It's all about perception. Imo

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
One man's right is another man's wrong ...and so on and so forth. It is what it is..I'm no Keim fan or homer in any way. But he has no responsibility to do what others believe he should do imo.. at the end of the day some will like the guy and other will hate him for the way he conducts his business. That goes for Rosen and any other player....and I'm sure that is the case with most owners and GM's when it comes to how players 'feel' they should be treated. It's all about perception. Imo
I think "perception" isn't in Keim's corner, when tons of former players have nothing but bad to say about the organization. Eventually your perception will come back to bite you when you can't get players or coaches to come here.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim won't even call for a ride when he is wasted (for his own benefit and the benefit of other lives on the roads) so the fact that he didn't care one iota about the feelings of a young man he drafted and once had hopes for doesn't really surprise me one bit. Say what you want, but he botched the entire Rosen situation. Should have just traded him earlier on and made Murray the pick. No need for secrecy and shenanigans when you have the first overall pick and know which player you want. Sad thing is - this could all work out for the team and he'll "look" great even though he's a self-centered douchebag IRL.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think "perception" isn't in Keim's corner, when tons of former players have nothing but bad to say about the organization. Eventually your perception will come back to bite you when you can't get players or coaches to come here.
My point is, Keim has his detractors in that locker room..just like any hard nosed gm probably has his detractors in their locker room. And at the end of the day.. no one knows just how lopsided that number really is. Regardless of this last 'stunt' with Rosen. Imo

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Keim was so hyper focused on the draft for two months that he couldn’t talk to Rosen at all?

disagree with the idea that Rosen was owed real time updates -- he wasn't

now: once the draft Murray call was made draft night -- he is owed a phone call. Preferably by the owner, or at least the GM.

at a minimum: once draft week dies down, a phone call to close the loop.

but again: it strikes me Josh is kinda working the victim angle here, and it doesn't reflect well on him.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KK his coach called and told him and also thanked him. I don't know why that wasn't sufficient as he was woking the relationship with Josh during OTAs. Sorry but I just don't feel that Keim or Bidwill had to also make a call. Again, time to move on for both josh and the Cards.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave