Kingsbury adapting offensive verbiage to match Oklahoma's offense

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think what they need to do is hire some NFL defensive coordinator or head coach for a ton of money to be DC. You can't tell me that there aren't good defensive prospects in Texas. They're just choosing to go to the SEC and ACC.

They started doing this when they hired Alex Grinch as DC from Ohio State.

I think there are, but the number of schools that poach from Texas and the higher reputation of the SEC is hurting Big 12 schools. A similar situation is going on with all the Florida and California schools as well. Sure USC still gets the cream of the crop, but the depth is not the same as it once was. College is different than the NFL, depth players matter more on a game to game basis, and that's where you see Alabama and Clemson excel, they throw waves of great players at you.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Also if KK succeeds it could potentially open doors for Riley to eventually get an NFL HC job. Seems to me there is good reason for him to want to see KK succeed.

Please don't type things like that CardsSunsDbacks. :)

Just like Saban would never, ever take another NFL job, Riley wants no part of the NFL.

Riley a demi-god in OK, gets gobs of money (6 million a year) and it would take multiple bad seasons before he would be let go. He's gets to coach kids who's egos are still mostly in check, doesn't have to work with a weirdo owner (e.g. like Jerry Jones), and has a massive built-in advantage at a blue-blood program like OU.

For guys like Saban, Riley, and Debo, the NFL is a terrible proposition. Terrible.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Just like Saban would never, ever take another NFL job, Riley wants no part of the NFL.

Riley a demi-god in OK, gets gobs of money (6 million a year) and it would take multiple bad seasons before he would be let go. He's gets to coach kids who's egos are still mostly in check, doesn't have to work with a weirdo owner (e.g. like Jerry Jones), and has a massive built-in advantage at a blue-blood program like OU.

For guys like Saban, Riley, and Debo, the NFL is a terrible proposition. Terrible.

I agree. Probably about five or six college jobs are better than any NFL job because of the advantages of the talent pipeline.

Debo Swiney is getting so many good football players every year. It basically ensures he wins at least 10 games every season. Only a few programs is that not good enough, and Clemson isn't to that point yet. Saban has won enough titles that his job is basically safe. OU's expecations aren't as high, so Riley gets some time. I think if he goes a few more years without a title, the fan base is going to start getting antsy.

OP
OP
CFLredzoned

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

FWIW this clip is a little different from what I saw on Up to the Minute. In this clip, he's not as specific. I should have posted this before. It's still on the DVR. Here's Wyche's quote from Up to the Minute on KK's call to Lincoln Riley:

"...he's somebody who wants to be pushed. But Kingsbury and that staff also know that Murray has to succeed. So one thing Kingsbury has done, called up Murray's former coach at Oklahoma, Lincoln Riley and said 'Okay look, what do I need to do to push and coach this kid the right way? And also, give me some of your numbering schemes on offense and give me some of your venacular. I'm gonna change some of the language and some of the play calls in my playbook to make it more familiar to Kyler Murray, so when he gets in the huddle, he can get through everything he needs to get through to get the guys to the LOS and get them lined up properly.'"

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I am not even trying to suggest that he wants that, but it would be foolish to do anything that might close those doors for him in the future in case his desires change.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I am not even trying to suggest that he wants that, but it would be foolish to do anything that might close those doors for him in the future in case his desires change.

haha.. just kidding with you man. :)

But I agree with your thinking. Plus, Riley (for all appearances) is not the type that would undermine a colleague, and certainly not a former player. He loves Murray to death, and would do anything to help him succeed at the next level.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think what they need to do is hire some NFL defensive coordinator or head coach for a ton of money to be DC. You can't tell me that there aren't good defensive prospects in Texas. They're just choosing to go to the SEC and ACC.

They started doing this when they hired Alex Grinch as DC from Ohio State.

Boom, you're correct. Just in the Big Twelve, Oklahoma would be up the creek without a paddle, or even a boat, if they relied on actual Oklahoma talent and did not get a majority of their players from Texas, but both Oklahoma and UT garner top recruits outside of their state. There is no lack of talent which the top programs are getting in the Big 12 but there is a lack of adequate DCs for whatever reason. I think this also exposes how important coaching is on the college level. There are a ton of players in the Big 12 playing defense which have insane athletic talent but the defenses are mediocre and then you find that lack of coaching makes most of these athletes unable to ever be a good pro. As a Texas Ex, I can look at UT's recruiting haul every year and it's up there with the rest of the SEC not named Alabama but the results are not the same. It's the coaching, the style of coaching and the flaw is defense... though if UT talent had the coaching found at lil' TCU, that would be a different story on defense

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
haha.. just kidding with you man. :)

But I agree with your thinking. Plus, Riley (for all appearances) is not the type that would undermine a colleague, and certainly not a former player. He loves Murray to death, and would do anything to help him succeed at the next level.
That would probably help him with recruiting top end QB talent in the future as well. Two of his QBs going back to back #1 in the draft and both being successful in the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
FWIW this clip is a little different from what I saw on Up to the Minute. In this clip, he's not as specific. I should have posted this before. It's still on the DVR. Here's Wyche's quote from Up to the Minute on KK's call to Lincoln Riley:

"...he's somebody who wants to be pushed. But Kingsbury and that staff also know that Murray has to succeed. So one thing Kingsbury has done, called up Murray's former coach at Oklahoma, Lincoln Riley and said 'Okay look, what do I need to do to push and coach this kid the right way? And also, give me some of your numbering schemes on offense and give me some of your venacular. I'm gonna change some of the language and some of the play calls in my playbook to make it more familiar to Kyler Murray, so when he gets in the huddle, he can get through everything he needs to get through to get the guys to the LOS and get them lined up properly.'"

I see nothing wrong with this. This makes the shift in offenses more seamless.

You want Murray playing instinctively, not having to think to much. Can you imagine, if Murray starts out the year with a really strong handle on the offense from game 1?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Boom, you're correct. Just in the Big Twelve, Oklahoma would be up the creek without a paddle, or even a boat, if they relied on actual Oklahoma talent and did not get a majority of their players from Texas, but both Oklahoma and UT garner top recruits outside of their state. There is no lack of talent which the top programs are getting in the Big 12 but there is a lack of adequate DCs for whatever reason. I think this also exposes how important coaching is on the college level. There are a ton of players in the Big 12 playing defense which have insane athletic talent but the defenses are mediocre and then you find that lack of coaching makes most of these athletes unable to ever be a good pro. As a Texas Ex, I can look at UT's recruiting haul every year and it's up there with the rest of the SEC not named Alabama but the results are not the same. It's the coaching, the style of coaching and the flaw is defense... though if UT talent had the coaching found at lil' TCU, that would be a different story on defense

The proliferation of Air Raid offenses has also hurt the Big 12 defenses, which seemingly haven't had an answer.

Murray still dropped a ton of points on Alabama's vaunted defense, even with probably 20 players that will be drafted over the 3-4 years.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
...and then traded it away and replaced a bunch of players...
My point was that he wasn't a good coach, and the post I was replying to implied that if Kliff was like Chip, he'd go to a division championship year one.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
My point was that he wasn't a good coach, and the post I was replying to implied that if Kliff was like Chip, he'd go to a division championship year one.
Totally agree...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The proliferation of Air Raid offenses has also hurt the Big 12 defenses, which seemingly haven't had an answer.

Murray still dropped a ton of points on Alabama's vaunted defense, even with probably 20 players that will be drafted over the 3-4 years.

isnt that the game they were being blown out and all the points came in garbage time?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no garbage time for Nick Saban.

There is for players who put in less effort when they are winning. I'm not going to anoint garbage times points as proof of anything. I am simply going to wait and see what he does against real competition.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I cannot ever literally recall anyone ever denigrating a coach trying to make an offense easier to transition for a rookie quarterback until this thread. Shows you just how dug in people are to try to find fault even where none apparently exists.

It's sad. 50% of this board is literally going to hate on anything Kyler Murray related.

Kyler could save a drowning child and they would say he was the reason the kid was drowning in the first place.

Did Hitler exterminate millions of Jews? Nope. Kyler Murray.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There is for players who put in less effort when they are winning. I'm not going to anoint garbage times points as proof of anything. I am simply going to wait and see what he does against real competition.

Those guys dont play for Nick Saban.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It wasn’t garbage time. OU had that game within about 10 points with a lot of time left. They just got out to a miserable start, mostly because the OU defense gave up a TD in each of the first 4 possessions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose