DCU: Aquaman

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Thor 2 was not good. Wolverine was extremely disappointing. Iron man 2 is one of my least favorite. The first Hellboy was decent. The second Hellboy sucked. There is also at least 2 to on that list I think Aquaman was just as good as.

Like I said....easy.

You said objectively; I could easily say you clearly have crap taste for bagging on Wolverine--that's pretty objectively backed up. The Hellboy movies were great. Thor 2 was better than Aquaman--didn't have to be great. What other two are you referring to.

See...easy. See...it's opinion. It's SUBjective, not OBjective.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said objectively; I could easily say you clearly have crap taste for bagging on Wolverine--that's pretty objectively backed up. The Hellboy movies were great. Thor 2 was better than Aquaman--didn't have to be great. What other two are you referring to.

See...easy. See...it's opinion. It's SUBjective, not OBjective.

Wolverine deserves to be bagged on. Logan was vastly superior and I find very few who would disagree. It got 61% on Metacritic and 71% on RT. I am hardly alone with that view. In fact the standalone films with Wolverine until Logan were a massive letdown.

Thor 2 Darkworld is one one of the worst rated as well out of the 21 movies.

So it’s not hard at all to call out those movies. It’s not like I am saying CA Winter Soldier was crap. That would be subjective and ridiculous to boot.

Stout

Reaction score
Wolverine deserves to be bagged on. Logan was vastly superior and I find very few who would disagree. It got 61% on Metacritic and 71% on RT. I am hardly alone with that view. In fact the standalone films with Wolverine until Logan were a massive letdown.

Thor 2 Darkworld is one one of the worst rated as well out of the 21 movies.

So it’s not hard at all to call out those movies. It’s not like I am saying CA Winter Soldier was crap. That would be subjective and ridiculous to boot.

Back up! I read--and freaking TYPED several times--Wolverine, when I meant Logan. Wow, how's that for a screw up. Simple enough to fix, though, subbing one in for the other. So, you're wrangling over one movie. I think that easily shows Aquaman isn't near the top of the pile.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back up! I read--and freaking TYPED several times--Wolverine, when I meant Logan. Wow, how's that for a screw up. Simple enough to fix, though, subbing one in for the other. So, you're wrangling over one movie. I think that easily shows Aquaman isn't near the top of the pile.

That is a pretty massive screw up and I named multiple movies that didn’t score high with critics and/or audiences.

Again I can easily argue it was better or just as good. I never said clear cut and I didn’t name everything I probably could on your list. I picked the obvious low hanging fruit.

Stout

Reaction score
That is a pretty massive screw up and I named multiple movies that didn’t score high with critics and/or audiences.

Again I can easily argue it was better or just as good. I never said clear cut and I didn’t name everything I probably could on your list. I picked the obvious low hanging fruit.

You said objective, meaning uninfluenced by opinions and based on fact. Now, subjectively, sure, you're as right as I am, because we're expressing opinions. Objectively, there's absolutely no way to prove your opinion is better than mine, nor more than just that: an opinion.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said objective, meaning uninfluenced by opinions and based on fact. Now, subjectively, sure, you're as right as I am, because we're expressing opinions. Objectively, there's absolutely no way to prove your opinion is better than mine, nor more than just that: an opinion.

Objective means that I will also take others opinions into consideration. That’s why I brought up the critics and fan scores.

Also, where did I say I was trying tp prove my opinion was better than yours? I said I could easily look at your list and argue that there isn’t 30 movies better. Only one of us said anything about the other's opinion or taste. Hint hint....wasn't me.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Objective means that I will also take others opinions into consideration. That’s why I brought up the critics and fan scores.

Also, where did I say I was trying tp prove my opinion was better than yours? I said I could easily look at your list and argue that there isn’t 30 movies better. Only one of us said anything about the other's opinion or taste. Hint hint....wasn't me.

You're confusing the meaning of "objective," which is widely used to claim dispassion without letting personal opinion enter into it, with "subjective":

Adjective: "Not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion."

When you presented an objective opinion, I logically concluded you were trying to make a fact based, unbiased claim, in an argument of pure opinion. You were actually presenting a "subjective" opinion:

Adjective: "Existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought."

We're BOTH presenting subjective opinions here. Neither one of us can claim our opinions as unbiased fact. So, objectively, you're wrong; subjectively, you CAN'T be wrong.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're confusing the meaning of "objective," which is widely used to claim dispassion without letting personal opinion enter into it, with "subjective":

Adjective: "Not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion."

When you presented an objective opinion, I logically concluded you were trying to make a fact based, unbiased claim, in an argument of pure opinion. You were actually presenting a "subjective" opinion:

Adjective: "Existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought."

We're BOTH presenting subjective opinions here. Neither one of us can claim our opinions as unbiased fact. So, objectively, you're wrong; subjectively, you CAN'T be wrong.

Except one of our opinions is widely shared on a couple of those films. Again, you keep trying to turn this into an argument of my opinion verses yours. That clearly isn't the case. I don't consider my opinion anymore valid than yours.

You are the only one that attempted to invalidate or call someone else's opinion "crap". I never said that about your opinion.

Let's not move the goal post. The crux of this discussion was that I could easily argue from your list movies that were equally good or worse than Aquaman.

Stout

Reaction score
Except one of our opinions is widely shared on a couple of those films. Again, you keep trying to turn this into an argument of my opinion verses yours. That clearly isn't the case. I don't consider my opinion anymore valid than yours.

You are the only one that attempted to invalidate or call someone else's opinion "crap". I never said that about your opinion.

Let's not move the goal post. The crux of this discussion was that I could easily argue from your list movies that were equally good or worse than Aquaman.

You write all that stuff about moving the goal post...then try to move the goal post! You said you could objectively poke holes in my list. You've subjectively done that, sure, because that's all you can do. In YOUR opinion, those movies aren't as good as Aquaman. In MY opinion, they are better. Easy peasy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You write all that stuff about moving the goal post...then try to move the goal post! You said you could objectively poke holes in my list. You've subjectively done that, sure, because that's all you can do. In YOUR opinion, those movies aren't as good as Aquaman. In MY opinion, they are better. Easy peasy.
Pointless quibble, but some of the movies on your list are comic book movies, but not necessarily superhero movies. Just saying.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nope my take is still the same. I said I could poke holes and mission accomplished. Part of being objective is having a perspective based in fact, in things quantifiable and measurable (i.e. movie scores).

I am not alone according to movie scores. That’s seems to be a consensus. I would say that holds more weight than one person’s opinion (yours or mine). As I stated you keep trying to make this my opinion verses yours but that’s not the case at all.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Nope my take is still the same. I said I could poke holes and mission accomplished. Part of being objective is having a perspective based in fact, in things quantifiable and measurable (i.e. movie scores).

I am not alone according to movie scores. That’s seems to be a consensus. I would say that holds more weight than one person’s opinion (yours or mine). As I stated you keep trying to make this my opinion verses yours but that’s not the case at all.

We're definitely not getting anywhere here. Movie scores aren't a consensus because they often vary wildly. We're not going to come to an accord.

Pointless quibble, but some of the movies on your list are comic book movies, but not necessarily superhero movies. Just saying.

Actually, that's a fair point. If I thought the argument was going anywhere, I'd go back and review based on this.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
both you ******* are wrong.

stout is wrong about Jonah Hex too...I read the comics every month as a kid...the movie was awesome.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're definitely not getting anywhere here. Movie scores aren't a consensus because they often vary wildly. We're not going to come to an accord.

Actually, that's a fair point. If I thought the argument was going anywhere, I'd go back and review based on this.

OK maybe not a completely consensus but as close to one as you're going to get. Also, on Jonah Hex? Meh....was a massive disappointing for such a cool character.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haven't seen the movie, but this is pretty cool

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose