Kingsbury adapting offensive verbiage to match Oklahoma's offense

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why should this surprise anyone? I've posted that people who interviewed him told me Murray has no concept of offensive scheme upon entering the league and never made calls/audibles/adjustments at Oklahoma.

Offensive schemes in the NFL are much more complex and DC's will eat this offense for lunch if they run a college scheme. The Cards most successful plays this year will be broken plays where Murray runs around and finds a guy open. Not really a recipe for success in my book.

As for the limited time with KK argument, that's BS. Murray has plenty of time to learn the offense/terminology on his own time. I'm not saying he has to have his head in the playbook 24/7 but there's plenty of time to learn the concepts and such.

Has there been any reports of Murray's work ethic when it comes to being the first one in or watching film? And I don't mean the Avengers.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Why should this surprise anyone? I've posted that people who interviewed him told me Murray has no concept of offensive scheme upon entering the league and never made calls/audibles/adjustments at Oklahoma.

Offensive schemes in the NFL are much more complex and DC's will eat this offense for lunch if they run a college scheme. The Cards most successful plays this year will be broken plays where Murray runs around and finds a guy open. Not really a recipe for success in my book.

As for the limited time with KK argument, that's BS. Murray has plenty of time to learn the offense/terminology on his own time. I'm not saying he has to have his head in the playbook 24/7 but there's plenty of time to learn the concepts and such.

Has there been any reports of Murray's work ethic when it comes to being the first one in or watching film? And I don't mean the Avengers.
Just asking mind you, but do you think most players entering the league have trouble learning the verbiage not just QBs as far as film study and work ethic I have no opinion on way or another

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I bet they told you Haskins was the best QB prospect since Peyton & that he is football Einstein in the film room too.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t you just get this info from KM? He should know the numbering system and the entire OU playbook already? Hmmm

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....sounds like he doesn't think Murray can learn a new offense in a timely manner
Jesus Christ.

If I have a new employee and I know of a way to make them more efficient faster damn skippy I’m leveraging that. Doesn’t mean my new employee is dumb.

I can only guess these viewpoints are from personal experience with posters trying to learn something new . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Come on. This has nothing to do with Murray's ability to pick up a new offense. Who knows when KK actually contacted Riley about this. Both were friends for years, so you can imagine they've been talking to each other about offense and schemes. KK might have picked up some of Riley's terminilogy well before we drafted Murray and installed it right away.

This is what I expect from KK: Get our young franchise QB comfortable quickly and put him in a good situation to succeed, doing what he does best. Being a rookie QB in the NFL is hard enough, let alone if stubborn coaches believe their system works. Ask Rosen and our 2019 coaching staff. I'm excited that KK is building the offense around Murray's strengths. That's the way it should be. So getting that little advantage of your starting QB knowing some terminology before others can't hurt. Will help Murray to grow into a leader as well, knowing some stuff already.
Stop making so much sense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t you just get this info from KM? He should know the numbering system and the entire OU playbook already? Hmmm
As someone stated earlier . . . limited time with players, unlimited with people outside the organization. Also, unlike Rosen, most players just memorize plays, they don’t have a hunger to understand the “why’s” so Riley can better explain the reasoning ruins concepts and naming conventions than can likely Murray, but keep rummaging around the bottom of an empty trunk to find whatever paltry lint you can to try to cast shade on Murray . . . it’s been entertaining, even if now it’s becoming a bit sad.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Adjusting some verbiage to accelerate your quarterbacks learning curve is a good move and I am surprised anyone would debate otherwise.
I cannot ever literally recall anyone ever denigrating a coach trying to make an offense easier to transition for a rookie quarterback until this thread. Shows you just how dug in people are to try to find fault even where none apparently exists.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is not a playbook, it is not a system. It is verbiage. KM still has to learn the plays. KM still has to learn how to operate within KK's system. This does not change any of that.
What this does to is make the learning process more efficient by having the vocabulary be similar to what the QB is familiar with. I would guess that this is not new and has probably been done many times in the past with QB's moving to a different coach and playbook.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone stated earlier . . . limited time with players, unlimited with people outside the organization. Also, unlike Rosen, most players just memorize plays, they don’t have a hunger to understand the “why’s” so Riley can better explain the reasoning ruins concepts and naming conventions than can likely Murray, but keep rummaging around the bottom of an empty trunk to find whatever paltry lint you can to try to cast shade on Murray . . . it’s been entertaining, even if now it’s becoming a bit sad.
Time? Sounds like an excuse.

If he’s teaching KM the O and using the plays and routes and schemes that he’s comfy with then he should be able to translate the verbiage no question. The amount of excuses you guys come up with is laughable.

If it’s new stuff he’s not familiar with then the terminology is irrelevant no?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it my imagination? Or is this board gradually morphing into the "Which of us can be the most bad-assed?" board?

Gamewise, the first bullet hasn't been fired yet.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Come on. This has nothing to do with Murray's ability to pick up a new offense. Who knows when KK actually contacted Riley about this. Both were friends for years, so you can imagine they've been talking to each other about offense and schemes. KK might have picked up some of Riley's terminilogy well before we drafted Murray and installed it right away.

This is what I expect from KK: Get our young franchise QB comfortable quickly and put him in a good situation to succeed, doing what he does best. Being a rookie QB in the NFL is hard enough, let alone if stubborn coaches believe their system works. Ask Rosen and our 2019 coaching staff. I'm excited that KK is building the offense around Murray's strengths. That's the way it should be. So getting that little advantage of your starting QB knowing some terminology before others can't hurt. Will help Murray to grow into a leader as well, knowing some stuff already.
Also if KK succeeds it could potentially open doors for Riley to eventually get an NFL HC job. Seems to me there is good reason for him to want to see KK succeed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is it my imagination? Or is this board gradually morphing into the "Which of us can be the most bad-assed?" board?

Gamewise, the first bullet hasn't been fired yet.
First game of the season:

Murray throws his first touchdown . . .

Solar: omg, now the other team knows Murray can throw the ball. Stupid short guy, now they are going to rush him when he drops back to pass!

Shane: Doesn’t Murray know that’s only going to make the other team want to drive down and score and now he’s going to need to put more points on the board? He is either stupid and short or doesn’t put in any time studying his opponent.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
I was hopeful the Cardinals would keep Rosen and use the first pick on an elite defender but I’ve accepted this is the direction the organization has decided to go. Not sure why people seem to have an issue with Kingsbury doing everything possible in hopes of making the difficult transition to the NFL easier for Murray.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
5 pages arguing in a thread where our rookie HC is actually doing something quite positive to help our rookie QB settle. It seems quite proactive and sensible to me

proof positive the draft wasn't going to end all this....

its going to be along offseason

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Time? Sounds like an excuse.

If he’s teaching KM the O and using the plays and routes and schemes that he’s comfy with then he should be able to translate the verbiage no question. The amount of excuses you guys come up with is laughable.

If it’s new stuff he’s not familiar with then the terminology is irrelevant no?

Time and cap space are the only limited resources in the NFL. Maybe it doesn't matter; if it doesn't then it's no big deal. If it does matter, then you're helping the guy along.

Only Riley and Kingsbury know if there's any conflicts between the verbiage. That would be the only problem; if there are concepts that are communicated in one system that can't be translated across.

Lincoln Riley would be an idiot to take an NFL job. His system works at a high level and he has a steady stream of great QB prospects to work with.

Jalen Hurts AND Spencer Rattler. Rattler is going to be really good.

It depends. I know my OU in-laws don't love Riley the way they loved Stoops (yet). Those Sooners fans will get tired if there isn't a National Championship appearance in the next four or five years — especially if Urban Meyer is still out there.

From internal forces, if Riley likes being a FOOTBALL COACH (and I'm not sure why you go to OU if that's what you want to be), he probably feels some draw from the NFL. IMO, that's what pulled Saban and Schiano and Petrino and Kelly up to the next level. These elite level head coaches are recruiters and administrators first.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It depends. I know my OU in-laws don't love Riley the way they loved Stoops (yet). Those Sooners fans will get tired if there isn't a National Championship appearance in the next four or five years — especially if Urban Meyer is still out there.

From internal forces, if Riley likes being a FOOTBALL COACH (and I'm not sure why you go to OU if that's what you want to be), he probably feels some draw from the NFL. IMO, that's what pulled Saban and Schiano and Petrino and Kelly up to the next level. These elite level head coaches are recruiters and administrators first.

The issues with the Big 12 is that they don't have the pipeline of elite defensive talent that the SEC, ACC, and OSU/Michigan have. I know you know football and I'm probably not saying something you haven't understood for a long time, but physical traits tend to be more important for defenders since so much of their game is educated guesses of what the offense is doing.

I just don't really see a path to a national title any time soon, and the Sooner faithful are going to have to come to grips with this. The talent disparity between Alabama/Clemson and everyone else is quite large. I think we'll see, for the foreseeable future, Alabama/Clemson trading titles for the next 6 years with an upset from a OSU sprinkled in (because OSU seems to occasionally have all the chips fall right from them).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The issues with the Big 12 is that they don't have the pipeline of elite defensive talent that the SEC, ACC, and OSU/Michigan have. I know you know football and I'm probably not saying something you haven't understood for a long time, but physical traits tend to be more important for defenders since so much of their game is educated guesses of what the offense is doing.

I just don't really see a path to a national title any time soon, and the Sooner faithful are going to have to come to grips with this. The talent disparity between Alabama/Clemson and everyone else is quite large. I think we'll see, for the foreseeable future, Alabama/Clemson trading titles for the next 6 years with an upset from a OSU sprinkled in (because OSU seems to occasionally have all the chips fall right from them).

I think what they need to do is hire some NFL defensive coordinator or head coach for a ton of money to be DC. You can't tell me that there aren't good defensive prospects in Texas. They're just choosing to go to the SEC and ACC.

They started doing this when they hired Alex Grinch as DC from Ohio State.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose