Kingsbury adapting offensive verbiage to match Oklahoma's offense

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Steve Wyche reported that KK contacted Lincoln Riley, Murray's college head coach to get details on the numbering schemes and vernacular they used in his offense at Oklahoma. KK plans to change some of his play calls and language to match, in order to help speed Murray's transition.

I've never heard of anybody doing this before. But it's the perfect time for it to happen. New QB. New offense the team hasn't seen yet. It makes perfect sense. Why not make things easiest for the guy that matters most? Let Kingsbury learn some new terms. He's in there grinding 24/7 anyway.

Is this guy the anti-Whisenhunt?

Edit.
Here's Wyche's quote from Up to the Minute on KK's call to Lincoln Riley:

"...he's somebody who wants to be pushed. But Kingsbury and that staff also know that Murray has to succeed. So one thing Kingsbury has done, called up Murray's former coach at Oklahoma, Lincoln Riley and said 'Okay look, what do I need to do to push and coach this kid the right way? And also, give me some of your numbering schemes on offense and give me some of your venacular. I'm gonna change some of the language and some of the play calls in my playbook to make it more familiar to Kyler Murray, so when he gets in the huddle, he can get through everything he needs to get through to get the guys to the LOS and get them lined up properly.'"

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's the "go with the flow" head coach.. you adapt to your players, not the other way around. The easiest thing to do as a coach is to just jam your message and philosophies down the players throat.. I love this approach. An adaptable head coach who is willing to change.. who would have thought. Lol.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why would Lincoln Riley actively share this information with someone who could easily be his opponent in a couple of years?

And more importantly, why can't Kyler relay this information to his coach on the concepts he's supposedly mastered?

I'm with LIAC... I don't like this.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Why would Lincoln Riley actively share this information with someone who could easily be his opponent in a couple of years?

And more importantly, why can't Kyler relay this information to his coach on the concepts he's supposedly mastered?

great points. Not going to lie, KM doesn’t strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. I hope I’m wrong.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Good friends on & off the field. Dont forget Reily was backup QB to KK @ Texas Tech. Most coaches don't have pride to do something like this. It's like Zoro going to train with MiHawk. Excuse the one piece reference but could not resist

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

I do. Either it's a success or failure. If it's a failure Keim should be out on his keister come New year's day next year.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Good friends on & off the field. Dont forget Reily was backup QB to KK @ Texas Tech. Most coaches don't have pride to do something like this. It's like Zoro going to train with MiHawk. Excuse the one piece reference but could not resist
Sure, but this is the kind of information you don't just pass along. Especially for a hot coaching candidate like Riley. Honestly, if I were Lincoln, and I got asked for this, I'd intentionally pass along bad information. This is the kind of shared info that can get your offense called at the line by an enterprising defense.

(lol'd @ One Piece though)

I do. Either it's a success or failure. If it's a failure Keim should be out on his keister come New year's day next year.
That makes me even more concerned. What GM in their right mind is going to come take over this team after we dump Keim? He won't have a coaching choice, or QB choice. Even if this team sucks, you almost have to keep Keim.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Shocking.
:bigyawn:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, but this is the kind of information you don't just pass along. Especially for a hot coaching candidate like Riley. Honestly, if I were Lincoln, and I got asked for this, I'd intentionally pass along bad information. This is the kind of shared info that can get your offense called at the line by an enterprising defense.

That makes me even more concerned. What GM in their right mind is going to come take over this team after we dump Keim? He won't have a coaching choice, or QB choice. Even if this team sucks, you almost have to keep Keim.

Coaches and GM's share information all the time, they may be selective with who but they do it. Hell many have seminars for coaches where they share what they are doing. Madden said that he was amazed on how detailed Lombardi was when he was describing how this team runs a sweep play, spoke for something like 10 minutes on just the one play.

Your take on this is soooooooooo bad it's comical.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Sure, but this is the kind of information you don't just pass along.

this is silly

we are talking about terminology, not, "send me the OU playbook"

so -- if Kyler Murray thinks of a given play as "Spider 3 Y Banana" due to his OU experience, but KK has called it something else -- why not call it "spider 3 Y banana" so that Murray gets it quicker?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Terminology isn’t that different. Coaches are teachers first — at all levels. There are only so many ways to call a play, and there are real limits on communication between coaches and players in this part of the process.

Now, the Washington team did this with RG3. It’s not unique.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Shocking.
:bigyawn:
Get ready for plenty more hot takes until this team proves they're the world-beaters you all think they are.

Coaches and GM's share information all the time, they may be selective with who but they do it. Hell many have seminars for coaches where they share what they are doing. Madden said that he was amazed on how detailed Lombardi was when he was describing how this team runs a sweep play, spoke for something like 10 minutes on just the one play.

Your take on this is soooooooooo bad it's comical.
Sharing information is one thing - the concepts behind the game? Of course. This is on tape. The actual terminology? We've seen multiple instances of defenses being able to call out plays because they'd broken down the terminology. NFL teams are smart enough to figure this out.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Terminology isn’t that different. Coaches are teachers first — at all levels. There are only so many ways to call a play, and there are real limits on communication between coaches and players in this part of the process.

Now, the Washington team did this with RG3. It’s not unique.
And RG3 is a legendary success story.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
And RG3 is a legendary success story.

But were any coaches' future harmed by this which was your point, by this being the sharing of information which is probably not... meaning the failure after Griffin's first year was not due to a sharing of information

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Get ready for plenty more hot takes until this team proves they're the world-beaters you all think they are.

Sharing information is one thing - the concepts behind the game? Of course. This is on tape. The actual terminology? We've seen multiple instances of defenses being able to call out plays because they'd broken down the terminology. NFL teams are smart enough to figure this out.

So KK get's the terminology from Riley because they don't have CBA restrictions on time with their players and then KK reviews them with Murray and Murray doesn't notice that Riley fed KK bad info. Plus Riley labels himself as a liar. Seriously, just a horrible take on your part. Plus the terminology is to communicate over the headset and in the huddle, not sure how this helps the opposition. Again, simply a bad take on your part.