Wow. What Joe Thomas said.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I like Joe Thomas, but did you know that he has lost over 50 lbs since recently retiring. Makes you wonder what it does to one's body when you add all that extra muscle and weight that your body doesn't naturally need or produce.

Last edited:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
they asked him what it was like to block for a mobile qb. He said playing a wide zone scheme with play action and a lot of boot leg gets the defense running horizontally which buys you 2 or 3 seconds before the defense actually transitions into their pass rush.

A mobile qb masks some of the o- line deficiencies. The hardest thing for a o-lineman to do is to pass protect for a qb who is standing in the same spot every play.

Doesn’t that make you feel better?

Was this an interview of him or does he have an analyst job now? I bet he’d be interesting to listen to.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LOL...in the history of bad takes on ASFN, criticizing one of the five greatest players ever at his position is one the worst I've ever seen.

"Joe Thomas is a loser who doesnt know what hes talking about!" LOL.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Really, troll? Where did I even insinuate Thomas doesn't know his position? Everything I said is fact. He's making comments with zero degrees of reference. He's speaking like he played with mobile QB's his entire career when he might have played a handful of games. Not to mention he played for not only a loser organization but an organization who had no intention of winning. No, go ahead and try to dispute anything I said with facts. And I hate to break your heart but your opinion isn't fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No no no, you’re right. A dude that has dedicated his life to the sport, who has played it at the highest level in college and professionally, who has been recognized as a likely HOFer, likely has no insight into how certain quarterbacks might impact his position. That’s a good solid take. You’re a freaking genius.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No no no, you’re right. A dude that has dedicated his life to the sport, who has played it at the highest level in college and professionally, who has been recognized as a likely HOFer, likely has no insight into how certain quarterbacks might impact his position. That’s a good solid take. You’re a freaking genius.

Hes never played with a mobile QB (which was demonstrated to be untrue) so he isnt capable of understanding.

Wow. That's just stupid. I see the Anti-Murray idiocy has spread to other topics.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Really, troll? Where did I even insinuate Thomas doesn't know his position? Everything I said is fact. He's making comments with zero degrees of reference. He's speaking like he played with mobile QB's his entire career when he might have played a handful of games. Not to mention he played for not only a loser organization but an organization who had no intention of winning. No, go ahead and try to dispute anything I said with facts. And I hate to break your heart but your opinion isn't fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was going to let this go, but I have to ask . . . what does the Browns record have anything to do with Thomas’ knowledge of how certain factors impact the position he played? Seriously, this “fact” that you keep basing your argument upon may be literally the dumbest argument I’ve ever seen on this board, and it’s been full of stupid arguments lately. I want to understand how your brain built this correlation.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Hes never played with a mobile QB (which was demonstrated to be untrue) so he isnt capable of understanding.

Wow. That's just stupid. I see the Anti-Murray idiocy has spread to other topics.
It's just basic common sense that mobile QB's buy the OL extra time. A Defense allowed to tee up on a stationary pocket passer in today's NFL is what D coordinators drool about. With the restrictions on the secondary's, the best way for the D to stop the pass is get pressure on the QB's. Their basic scheme is predicated on this premise. That's why the NFL has shifted somewhat.

The other option is to have an above average effective at minimum rushing attack. We could not do either one last year. Rush or protect.

Thus the #1. ;)

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

So any posts contrasting to what you and your KylerKult spew is just idiocy?So what if some disagree and question the statement?You aren't king of the AZSFN board.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So any posts contrasting to what you and your KylerKult spew is just idiocy?So what if some disagree and question the statement?You aren't king of the AZSFN board.
isnt the king but he is logical in what he says
he has been able to change his own premature opinion about murray after he started to know more about the player, thats something to praise, cause not so many are willing to do that

Last edited:
OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to let this go, but I have to ask . . . what does the Browns record have anything to do with Thomas’ knowledge of how certain factors impact the position he played? Seriously, this “fact” that you keep basing your argument upon may be literally the dumbest argument I’ve ever seen on this board, and it’s been full of stupid arguments lately. I want to understand how your brain built this correlation.
Ouchie, sometimes it’s befuddling why we reply to some comments. Joe Thomas, joe friggin Thomas who has played football in high school, college z and who will be in the nfl hof cant possibly know more than some people here.

Whether he played with a mobile qb or not has nothing to do with understanding the blocking concepts of a moving pocket. Good lord.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Ouchie, sometimes it’s befuddling why we reply to some comments. Joe Thomas, joe friggin Thomas who has played football in high school, college z and who will be in the nfl hof cant possibly know more than some people here.

Whether he played with a mobile qb or not has nothing to do with understanding the blocking concepts of a moving pocket. Good lord.
I'm not saying Joe Thomas knows nothing, but many great players have gone on to be terrible coaches or evaluators in sports, because they had an athletic gear that many don't. Sure, for Joe Thomas, an absolute specimen of a human, he might think it's easier to have a mobile guy, but when your offensive line is made up of guys who have nowhere near his athleticism and are lucky to be starters, much less never going to be an All-Pro, I'm not so sure the comparison matches.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not saying Joe Thomas knows nothing, but many great players have gone on to be terrible coaches or evaluators in sports, because they had an athletic gear that many don't. Sure, for Joe Thomas, an absolute specimen of a human, he might think it's easier to have a mobile guy, but when your offensive line is made up of guys who have nowhere near his athleticism and are lucky to be starters, much less never going to be an All-Pro, I'm not so sure the comparison matches.
I see what you're saying..but you most definitely can't dismiss what the guy has to say. Just like anything, maybe it's somewhere in the middle. Jmo

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I can respect this point of view and how you’ve expressed it. But the other fellow actually question his expertise. I mean , come on.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Who were the dual threat QBs Thomas blocked for?

IMO, it’s harder to block for these guys because you can’t be sure where they are and can get holding penalties if you’re at the wrong angle.
This.

I remember a while ago reading about Kaepernick and how hard it was to block for him because you never knew where he was going to be during s play. He could drop back in the pocket or roll out despite the play call.

At least with pocket passers in a timing offense, you know where your QB is and roughly how long to sustain blocks.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I see what you're saying..but you most definitely can't dismiss what the guy has to say. Just like anything, maybe it's somewhere in the middle. Jmo
I'm fine with it being in the middle. Just saying that someone who has never really blocked for a mobile QB has a little less clout when saying it. If this were like, Russel Okung, I might give it more credit.

This.

I remember a while ago reading about Kaepernick and how hard it was to block for him because you never knew where he was going to be during s play. He could drop back in the pocket or roll out despite the play call.

At least with pocket passers in a timing offense, you know where your QB is and roughly how long to sustain blocks.
This is my thought too. As an offensive lineman, you can ruin the entire play by getting downfield too quickly too. I've seen plenty of plays where the lineman thought his guy was taking off, but threw the ball at the last second.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This.

If you drew a straight line from point A to point B, Kaepernick was fast. And that was pretty much all there was too him. He wasn’t:
-a good decision maker
-accurate
-good under pressure
-very elusive
-quick through his progressions

There are no true similarities between the 2 QB’s whatsoever.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If you drew a straight line from point A to point B, Kaepernick was fast. And that was pretty much all there was too him. He wasn’t:
-a good decision maker
-accurate
-good under pressure
-very elusive

You don't go to the Super Bowl in the dominating fashion they did with him being that terrible at all of those things. He was a pretty good player who got ruined by the shitshow that organization turned into following the Super Bowl loss.

And I disliked Colin Kaepernick as far back as his days in Reno, so for me to defend him is a pretty big deal.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You don't go to the Super Bowl in the dominating fashion they did with him being that terrible at all of those things. He was a pretty good player who got ruined by the shitshow that organization turned into following the Super Bowl loss.

And I disliked Colin Kaepernick as far back as his days in Reno, so for me to defend him is a pretty big deal.

The Niners went to the SB due mainly to the D that Harbaugh ran. They also had a great running game & OLine. Kaepernick was a below average NFL QB who ultimately was exposed for what he was. To think otherwise is folly.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
It works both ways

You do get some extra time and attention as the rush tries to figure out where to rush and how to rush

You also don't always know where the play is going and how to hold the block and move a player

If a tackle has spent their career directing a rusher past the pocket, providing a lane for the QB to escape and then the QB runs backwards to extend the play or starts to scramble and hang out in the pocket and the defender can work back into the play the tackle can get frustrating

Also when a block is sustained and the QB cuts against it and now that block is a hold

It's an adjustment for all

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would you consider kapernick mobile?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
-a good decision maker
-accurate
-good under pressure
-very elusive

I wasn’t comparing the two. I was making a statement about blocking for mobile QBs versus pocket passers. This applies to Wilson, Vick, Watson and others

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wasn’t comparing the two. I was making a statement about blocking for mobile QBs versus pocket passers. This applies to Wilson, Vick, Watson and others

I understand where you're coming from. I guess I never saw Kaepernick as being mobile. Maybe elusive is the better word. He was fast, but not elusive. But, if you did miss him, he could burn you with his legs. Murray is a different animal altogether. He's mobile in the way that Thomas is crafting his argument. Murray's elusiveness will have front 7's stopping & re-starting to the point that they lose their acceleration & are more vulnerable. Any which way you look at it, Murray will be one exciting player to watch. I am pumped that he'll have a Cardinal on the side of his helmet for the foreseeable future.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It works both ways

You do get some extra time and attention as the rush tries to figure out where to rush and how to rush

You also don't always know where the play is going and how to hold the block and move a player

If a tackle has spent their career directing a rusher past the pocket, providing a lane for the QB to escape and then the QB runs backwards to extend the play or starts to scramble and hang out in the pocket and the defender can work back into the play the tackle can get frustrating

Also when a block is sustained and the QB cuts against it and now that block is a hold

It's an adjustment for all

Thanks.

Did the Cardinal's first draft choice provoke much of a reaction from you?

For example, were you like, "whew, I'm glad they didn't draft Bosa!"?