Kyler Murray's Throwing Motion

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of everything the Cards have offered on the site since Rookie Minicamp started, and the thing that really stood out to me was how awesome Kyler's throwing motion comes out so quick. It's effortless, compact, and powerful. That's exciting.

But, it kinda reminds me of the sidearm-esque passing that Rivers does, which was a concern when he was coming out. Sorry to add my constant negative to the positive, but I feel like Rivers gets away with it because of height (which is something that was noted in scouting reports way back in the day).

Is there any good analysis to watch regarding Kyler's release point?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of everything the Cards have offered on the site since Rookie Minicamp started, and the thing that really stood out to me was how awesome Kyler's throwing motion comes out so quick. It's effortless, compact, and powerful. That's exciting.

But, it kinda reminds me of the sidearm-esque passing that Rivers does, which was a concern when he was coming out. Sorry to add my constant negative to the positive, but I feel like Rivers gets away with it because of height (which is something that was noted in scouting reports way back in the day).

Mahomes has that funky baseball delivery too.... guess if it works, what's there to knock :)

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There's something about throwing a baseball that correlates to throwing a football. For starters, I was a baseball player before I was ever a football player. I was a catcher & 3rd baseman & my Dad taught me how to **** my wrist in a downward motion before releasing the ball. That allowed me to throw darts to 2nd from home plate or darts across the diamond from 3rd to 1st. It was a learned motion, but it became effortless over time. Once I started playing football, I noticed that I could throw a tight, effortless spiral with the same release that I used throwing a baseball. Now, I never did play QB, even though I had coaches that wanted me to. I liked hitting people way more than I liked getting hit. But even today, at 61 years old, I can still throw a tight, accurate pass. I completely understand why former baseball players like Wilson, Mahomes, and Murray have effortless releases.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

There is no correlation between batted passes and height.

I think this is because shorter QBs look for better passing windows instead of trying to throw over taller defenders.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm on record several times here, as wanting to give Rosen another year, with competent offensive coaching...

But it's been painfully obvious we can't build an offensive line, so hopefully this kid can do a decent Russel Wilson impersonation, if he can, maybe it was the right choice.... If not..... Well.... At least his rookie contract is fully guaranteed.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
QBs who are used to throwing while moving or shifting often don’t have what some consider model throwing motions. I don’t see this being an issue with Murray. He is consistently accurate and has little drift on his throws.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

oh my god. Dude, you officially have Kyler Murray-Derangement Syndrome.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is actually a positive thread about Kyler from me, and the usual crowd comes in to defend him like I'm trashing him, haha. I was just hoping for more analysis.

yup... definitely Kyler Derangement Syndrome. if you consider this positive, I don't know what to tell you. you're basically saying Kyler's throwing motion will be a problem and he won't get away with it because he's not as tall as Rivers and that's the reason he gets away with it.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone had any videos or analysis about Kyler's throwing motion, not complain about it. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff about it. But fine. Whatever. Can't ask a question without being a Kyler hater. Got it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone had any videos or analysis about Kyler's throwing motion, not complain about it. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff about it. But fine. Whatever. Can't ask a question without being a Kyler hater. Got it.

his arms are too short to analyze his throwing motion.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

It’s as if you tried to come up with a positive to then turn the thread into a “he’s too short” for that positive to really exist bashing of Murray. Seriously man.

It’s like going up to a woman and saying, “hey, I think you’re pretty. Except for your face. And I don’t like your hair. And you smell. LOOK I SAID SOMETHING NICE!”

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All you need to know is 5 batted balls all last season
Nuff said
He’s at the top of the game throwing the ball

Haskins had 5 balls batted down also...

But he threw 41% more passes than KM. I don't think his 5 batted balls says anything one way or the other, especially not predicting what that will mean at the NFL level.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Haskins had 5 balls batted down also...

But he threw 41% more passes than KM. I don't think his 5 batted balls says anything one way or the other, especially not predicting what that will mean at the NFL level.

I cant remember where I read it, but most of Kyler's batted passs came in the first 4 weeks or so of the season. He made some tweaks and went like 6 weeks without a batted pass. Hes that coachable and football savvy that he can make changes to his game quickly was the point being made.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose