DCU: Aquaman

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
True but I also clarified with a few examples of my own. The overall point stands. It’s a poor comparison when Aquaman is clearly better than the vast majority of Bay’s crap.
Aah, see, you changed what you said. And yes, I agree with that, it is better than the majority if Bay’s stuff. Just not all.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aah, see, you changed what you said. And yes, I agree with that, it is better than the majority if Bay’s stuff. Just not all.

By the way......I am probably a bigger fan of Pearl Harbor than most. Only because at the time the DVD came out it was a beast for a surround sound demo to show off.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
By the way......I am probably a bigger fan of Pearl Harbor than most. Only because at the time the DVD came out it was beast for a surround sound demo to show off.
I absolutely loved the trailer for Pearl, so the movie was a big let down.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I absolutely loved the trailer for Pearl, so the movie was a big let down.

GOD yes! This was before all the big spoilers used to come out so early. My friend and I were STOKED to see this. Two days beforehand we heard rumors that it was a terrible chick flick with massive bloat. Nervous but skeptical of these rumors, we still went. Blech!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
saw this on monday. Loved it. Big win for DC. will watch it again, several times I am sure, as soon as it hits hbo

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I have really mixed thoughts on this one.

It was fun.

Visually very engaging.

Agree that he didn’t stay consistently enough in “bro” mode and that’s a shame because it was such a hero departure character which was fun and refreshing.

Bullets and knives can’t hurt him unless it’s atlantean steel? What is he WaterSuperman? I kinda hate it when they essentially make each hero supreme on their own. I like that different heroes are differing levels of powerful. I think they too overpowered him.

Thought it was stupid:

-different Atlantans evolved so differently so as to become creatures. Cmon. I know this is make believe, but . . . well . . . C’MON!

-even among some Atlantans only highborn can breath air. Now why the hell would that happen?!?

-the entire creation of essentially an entirely different world in the deep with an equally large Atlantan population and all those enormous creatures never seen, and that giant thing guarding the trident - ugh there was just too much wildly disconnected from reality crap thrown against the wall for my liking.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw this today and thought it was good but not great. My knock was that it was a tad too long(2h 23min). Other than that, here's my take without spoiling too much(if I get into spoiler territory I will be sure to warn):

The Characters: Mamoa was good, not great. I get what the DCEU is trying to do. It's trying to distance itself from the cheesy 70's cartoon version which is so bad that Raj Koothrapppali was willing to dress up as Wonder Woman instead so this version is a 180° change from that one and according to my wife, he's eye candy. Amber Heard in a skin tight green scale suit, 'nuf said there. She's very, very hot in this movie. Nichole Kidman was OK although I've never been a big fan of hers to begin with. Willem Defoe, was nice to see him not the villain this time. Dolph Lungren was a surprise. Took me a minute to recognize him. And I thought Patrick Wilson did well as Ocean Master. Nothing earth shattering but he pulled it off. Now, where I was disappointed in was Black Manta. Don't get me wrong, loved the actor and the character itself(probably one of the most underrated DC villains) but we didn't see enough of him and quite frankly, he was reduced to being just a McGuffin. All in all, though, and this is what DC movies do well at, the characters have depth. Oh, and it was good to see Temuera Morrison again(Jango Fett).

The Plot: Not a great plot and as I said, Manta was grossly underused and, as I said, his inclusion was nothing more than a distraction and a McGuffin. It really didn't add anything to the story but to slow Arthur and Mera up a tad. The true story in this movie was the battle between brothers but all in all it wasn't a great story but it played out well thanks to the visual and special effects.

Action: The fight scenes were good but the final battle was a bit over the top although I got a kick seeing things I got to fight in DC Universe Online(Ocean Master or Aquaman and the Briny Hulks. Manta too but he keeps whupping my all). And to see Aquaman on a seahorse did make me chuckle.

Grade: Solid C+ to B-. Wonder Woman was better but this was good as well. Those who say they outright didn't like it are either biased toward Marvel or who are so jaded by DC's inconsistent movie making to admit that although they didn't hit a home run here they got a solid double at least. I would have graded it higher had they either just gone with Black Manta or Ocean Master arc but putting Manta in just slowed the pace a tad.

Again, Amber Heard. Yowza!

You must be registered for see images attach

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
About to go see Aquaman for the 3rd time - first was on 12/15 for the Amazon Prime preview (standard format), saw it again in IMAX 2D on 12/20, and will see it on IMAX 3D in about an hour.

I've been a HUGE Aquaman fan since I was 4 years old; watched the Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure as a kid (1967 - 6 years BEFORE Super Friends). Been buying the comics just as long.

Hard for me to be unbiased, but was thinking I would never get a chance to see a live-action Aquaman movie in my lifetime. One off my Bucket List...next, a Cardinals Super Bowl victory.

Reaction score
About to go see Aquaman for the 3rd time - first was on 12/15 for the Amazon Prime preview (standard format), saw it again in IMAX 2D on 12/20, and will see it on IMAX 3D in about an hour.

I've been a HUGE Aquaman fan since I was 4 years old; watched the Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure as a kid (1967 - 6 years BEFORE Super Friends). Been buying the comics just as long.

Hard for me to be unbiased, but was thinking I would never get a chance to see a live-action Aquaman movie in my lifetime. One off my Bucket List...next, a Cardinals Super Bowl victory.

I remember watching both as kid. Aquaman was a favorite of mine as well.

Stout

Reaction score

A THIRD time for this C- movie? I was about to berate you, but if you're that big an Aquaman fan, then I completely understand. That kind of fan love (which I've had for other things) makes everything a couple degrees better.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They played homage to this Aquaman albeit it was very brief:

You must be registered for see images attach

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
A THIRD time for this C- movie? I was about to berate you, but if you're that big an Aquaman fan, then I completely understand. That kind of fan love (which I've had for other things) makes everything a couple degrees better.
C-?

This was one of the top 3-5 super hero comic movies I have seen.

Maybe the story isn‘t original but it was good enough and the special effects and fantasy world setting was great - easily better than Black Panther or Wonder Woman.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
C-?

This was one of the top 3-5 super hero comic movies I have seen.

Maybe the story isn‘t original but it was good enough and the special effects and fantasy world setting was great - easily better than Black Panther or Wonder Woman.

I enjoyed Aquaman and it was a good popcorn movie. Fun. However, it doesn't even come close to cracking my top 5.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not even the best DC movie--WW far surpasses it. I don't think I could put it in my top 25 or 30.

I agree on WW. Your last sentence?

Calm down! [emoji23]

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, you have to realize that there's everything from the Marvel movies to Nolan's Batman to the old Superman to the old Batman to...you get my point. I just didn't rate it.
I’d still like to see your list of 30 superhero movies that are better than Aquaman.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d still like to see your list of 30 superhero movies that are better than Aquaman.

This. I can guarantee you I can rip it apart objectively. Again, keeping in mind that I think overwhelmingly that the MCU has hit it out of the park and I am a huge fan of the Nolan films.

Stout

Reaction score
Actually, I lied. It didn't take much time at all; about five minutes and a word file. And these aren't nearly all of the ones that are better, IMO. Apologies for not typing out full names, but this will suffice. It's in no particular order. Now, folks may subjectively disagree, but I definitely liked all of these movies better than Aquaman, many of them way better. I liked Momoa in the role, and there were some great parts--when he's being dudebro super hero--but it was swallowed up by the suck.

1--Original Spiderman

2--Spiderman: Homecoming

3--Batman (1989)

4--Thor 1

5--Thor 2

6--Thor 3 (Better, even though highly flawed itself)

7--Wolverine

8--V for Vendetta

9--Hellboy

10--Hellboy 2

11--X-Men

12--X2

13--Iron Man

14--Iron Man 2

15--The Crow

16--Cap 1

17--Cap 2

18--Avengers

19--Ultron (Not the greatest Marvel movie, but definitely better than Aquaman, IMO)

20--Civil War

21--Infinity War

22--End Game

23--Ant Man

24--Ant Man 2

25--Guardians 1

26--Guardians 2

27--Nolan Batman 1

28--Nolan Batman 2

29--Deadpool

30--Deadpool 2

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Actually, I lied. It didn't take much time at all; about five minutes and a word file. And these aren't nearly all of the ones that are better, IMO. Apologies for not typing out full names, but this will suffice. It's in no particular order. Now, folks may subjectively disagree, but I definitely liked all of these movies better than Aquaman, many of them way better. I liked Momoa in the role, and there were some great parts--when he's being dudebro super hero--but it was swallowed up by the suck.

1--Original Spiderman

3--Batman (1989)

4--Thor 1

5--Thor 2

7--Wolverine

8--V for Vendetta

9--Hellboy

10--Hellboy 2

11--X-Men

12--X2

13--Iron Man

14--Iron Man 2

15--The Crow

16--Cap 1

17--Cap 2

18--Avengers

19--Ultron (Not the greatest Marvel movie, but definitely better than Aquaman, IMO)

20--Civil War

21--Infinity War

22--End Game

23--Ant Man

24--Ant Man 2

25--Guardians 1

26--Guardians 2

27--Nolan Batman 1

28--Nolan Batman 2

29--Deadpool

30--Deadpool 2

you forgot Jonah Hex

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

1--Original Spiderman

3--Batman (1989)

4--Thor 1

5--Thor 2

7--Wolverine

8--V for Vendetta

9--Hellboy

10--Hellboy 2

11--X-Men

12--X2

13--Iron Man

14--Iron Man 2

15--The Crow

16--Cap 1

17--Cap 2

18--Avengers

20--Civil War

21--Infinity War

22--End Game

23--Ant Man

24--Ant Man 2

25--Guardians 1

26--Guardians 2

27--Nolan Batman 1

28--Nolan Batman 2

29--Deadpool

30--Deadpool 2

Thor 2 was not a good movie Wolverine was extremely disappointing. Iron man 2 is one of my least favorite. The first Hellboy was decent. The second Hellboy didn’t suck but wasn’t great. I would pick Aquaman over or say it was equal to any of those movies.

Like I said....easy.