Which team to you seems to get lucky in the draft most often?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
FYI - For the 5 yrs from '12-'16 the Cowboys are ranked the top drafting team. By the way, Cards ranked a strong 7th per this April 2018 N Y Post article:

7. Cardinals
Pro Bowlers: 3
Best Pick: David Johnson (2015, third)
Worst Pick: Jonathan Cooper (2013, first)

The Cardinals have drafted three players that have made first-team All-Pro already — Johnson, Tyrann Mathieu and Budda Baker, who was last year’s second-round pick. GM Steve Keim has an eye for talent.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
There was a nice stretch when the Steelers took the guy I wanted every year - Decastro, Jarvis Jones, Shazier, Bud Dupree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don't know if I would call it luck as much as good through talent evaluation. Yes, there is some extent of luck but most times you make your own luck.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
FYI - For the 5 yrs from '12-'16 the Cowboys are ranked the top drafting team. By the way, Cards ranked a strong 7th per this April 2018 N Y Post article:

7. Cardinals
Pro Bowlers: 3
Best Pick: David Johnson (2015, third)
Worst Pick: Jonathan Cooper (2013, first)

The Cardinals have drafted three players that have made first-team All-Pro already — Johnson, Tyrann Mathieu and Budda Baker, who was last year’s second-round pick. GM Steve Keim has an eye for talent.

David Johnson was all luck as Keim had his eye on Abdullah and not Johnson.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Pats get "lucky" every year IMHO.

They usually draft near the ass end of the draft, and are almost always in contention.

When their hits start looking for the big bucks... They ship em off, and draft his replacement, usually without missing a beat.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pats get "lucky" every year IMHO.

They usually draft near the ass end of the draft, and are almost always in contention.

When their hits start looking for the big bucks... They ship em off, and draft his replacement, usually without missing a beat.

They actually don’t draft that well. They have the greatest coach and QB in the history of the sport. There bread and butter is taking cast offs that failed somewhere else. Look at Danny Shelton this year for example.

The cardinals draft well when you look at it but guys here will have you believing we’re the worst drafting team in the sport

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I don't know if I would call it luck as much as good through talent evaluation. Yes, there is some extent of luck but most times you make your own luck.

It's freakn luck in the sense that it seems like every single year they draft in bottom 1/3 or so, and in R1 a guy they need who is ranked in top 1/3 or so falls right in their lap. It happened perfect again this year. Over & over I expect it every spring. Doesn't matter where they draft it's like: "Oh hell, this guy still on the board? Just who we needed and had at top of our board."

You never have to wonder when they're otc who they will take. You just have to look at anyone's bb and he'll be the one wow guy who fills their top need who is somehow still there staring them right in the face.

Makes me sick cause I hate the Steelers the most by far.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
It's freakn luck in the sense that it seems like every single year they draft in bottom 1/3 or so, and in R1 a guy they need who is ranked in top 1/3 or so falls right in their lap. It happened perfect again this year. Over & over I expect it every spring. Doesn't matter where they draft it's like: "Oh hell, this guy still on the board? Just who we needed and had at top of our board."

You never have to wonder when they're otc who they will take. You just have to look at anyone's bb and he'll be the one wow guy who fills their top need who is somehow still there staring them right in the face.

Makes me sick cause I hate the Steelers the most by far.

Some players always falls unexpectedly and they seem to always scoop them up. It's just smart picking and believe me when I say I despise, no I loath the Steelers and their fans.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
David Johnson was all luck as Keim had his eye on Abdullah and not Johnson.

David Johnson was half luck. When Abdullah was selected, it was the Cardinals who then selected Johnson and they had a choice not to just like every other team to that point

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Who knows how Abdullah would've turned out under BA? He was an electric playmaker in college and lit up the Senior Bowl. DJ turned out to be a superior plan B and kudos to Keim for drafting him. Sometimes plan B or C turn out much better than A, you just need the right plan.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Who knows how Abdullah would've turned out under BA? He was an electric playmaker in college and lit up the Senior Bowl. DJ turned out to be a superior plan B and kudos to Keim for drafting him. Sometimes plan B or C turn out much better than A, you just need the right plan.

Go back and watch that All or Nothing. Keim is devastated with losing Abdullah to Detroit. When Bidwill asks about David Johnson, BA is the one that vouches for him. Keim doesn’t say much.

Just from watching that, I give BA most of the credit for us drafting DJ.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Of course there are some variables influencing the success in the draft; for example:

- # of roster holes needing to be filled.

- # of desparation roster holes (i.e. teams without a quality QB need to spend more time looking at QB's because of the importance of the position to the overall roster).

But - within the context of the so-called "big picture" - it takes skill (or lack thereof) to screw up a draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Go back and watch that All or Nothing. Keim is devastated with losing Abdullah to Detroit. When Bidwill asks about David Johnson, BA is the one that vouches for him. Keim doesn’t say much.

Just from watching that, I give BA most of the credit for us drafting DJ.

Devastated? No. They quickly move on and take Marcus Golden.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose