The Next Great QB Class

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Okay, let’s say Murray fails. I think that scenario is unlikely but it’s not impossible. In fact a severe injury possibility will always hang over Murray as it does with most running QBs. The Cards then figure to be in the top 5 drafting, so could they do the unthinkable and pick another round 1 QB for the third year in a row. That would, of course, set a new standard for futility. Fortunately the next draft will include an outstanding group of QBs.

It’s unlikely but let’s also consider KK might still be the coach. I’ll be following how much progress Ehlinger makes at Texas. He might not come out but his 2018 performance was sound though it was ignored because of the focus on Murray. He threw for 25 TDs and ran for 15 more. He needs to work on advanced skills like looking off safeties, throwing receivers open and working through progressions. He also needs to show the poise needed to stay in the pocket and shift with subtle movements. We’ve seen QBs at this stage of development move forward quickly. He’s worth watching.

Hurts at OK is another QB that is clearly suited to KK’s offense. He should flourish in Riley’s offense. Again he has tons of raw talent but he lacks the sophistication to assure he will make it in the NFL. He also could move forward quickly but it’s unlikely he’ll be an immediate NFL starter.

I’m sure some are thinking I skipped Tagovailoa. He’s less of a runner than the other to but he can move. His agility, accuracy and arm strength likely means he could run KK’s offense.

If things go so badly KK is dumped and the Cards end up with the first pick again, Tagovailoa will almost surely be the pick. Barring a major regression he grades easily atop the QB pool.

Herbert from OR should have come out in 2019. He would likely have gone second. Some feel he’s regressing but he’s been through enough coaching changes to derail most prospects. If you’re looking for a pocket passer he’ll likely be a solid, but not flashy option.

Fromm from GA was the hot new guy 2 years ago. His development never quite matched the hype. He’s strictly a pocket passer and needs to be well protected. He doesn’t move well in the pocket, but if you can give him time he’ll put the ball in the right place. He’s been backed by a good running attack, which may be needed for him to succeed in the NFL.

There are probably a half dozen more QBs that could be Haskins-like with a few breaks. I suspect one or two will emerge. So if the sky falls at least the Cards will have decent options.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, let’s say Murray fails. I think that scenario is unlikely but it’s not impossible. In fact a severe injury possibility will always hang over Murray as it does with most running QBs. The Cards then figure to be in the top 5 drafting, so could they do the unthinkable and pick another round 1 QB for the third year in a row. That would, of course, set a new standard for futility. Fortunately the next draft will include an outstanding group of QBs.

It’s unlikely but let’s also consider KK might still be the coach. I’ll be following how much progress Ehlinger makes at Texas. He might not come out but his 2018 performance was sound though it was ignored because of the focus on Murray. He threw for 25 TDs and ran for 15 more. He needs to work on advanced skills like looking off safeties, throwing receivers open and working through progressions. He also needs to show the poise needed to stay in the pocket and shift with subtle movements. We’ve seen QBs at this stage of development move forward quickly. He’s worth watching.

Hurts at OK is another QB that is clearly suited to KK’s offense. He should flourish in Riley’s offense. Again he has tons of raw talent but he lacks the sophistication to assure he will make it in the NFL. He also could move forward quickly but it’s unlikely he’ll be an immediate NFL starter.

I’m sure some are thinking I skipped Tagovailoa. He’s less of a runner than the other to but he can move. His agility, accuracy and arm strength likely means he could run KK’s offense.

If things go so badly KK is dumped and the Cards end up with the first pick again, Tagovailoa will almost surely be the pick. Barring a major regression he grades easily atop the QB pool.

Herbert from OR should have come out in 2019. He would likely have gone second. Some feel he’s regressing but he’s been through enough coaching changes to derail most prospects. If you’re looking for a pocket passer he’ll likely be a solid, but not flashy option.

Fromm from GA was the hot new guy 2 years ago. His development never quite matched the hype. He’s strictly a pocket passer and needs to be well protected. He doesn’t move well in the pocket, but if you can give him time he’ll put the ball in the right place. He’s been backed by a good running attack, which may be needed for him to succeed in the NFL.

There are probably a half dozen more QBs that could be Haskins-like with a few breaks. I suspect one or two will emerge. So if the sky falls at least the Cards will have decent options.

IMO Murray and KK get at least 3 years to succeed.I have doubts SK would blow everything up again.IMO Murray/KK gets a mulligan from the FO/MB for this coming season.I think SK doesn`t want to look like a bigger idiot by drafting a QB in RD 1 three years in a row.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Next year's QB class is always the greatest QB class... until we dig deeper and find out it's not. Aside from the fact that we won't blow everything up again, unless we suffer a Wilks-like season in terms of not being remotedly competitive. And even then, I think KK/Murray would get at least another year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Costello from Stanford is pretty good too. He's started 1 1/2 years already and put up good numbers last year.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Next year's QB class is always the greatest QB class... until we dig deeper and find out it's not. Aside from the fact that we won't blow everything up again, unless we suffer a Wilks-like season in terms of not being remotedly competitive. And even then, I think KK/Murray would get at least another year.

It’s always next years class. Mahomes and Watson were well behind Darnold in most people’s eyes the year they came out. Everybody was tanking for Sam.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
IMO Murray and KK get at least 3 years to succeed.I have doubts SK would blow everything up again.IMO Murray/KK gets a mulligan from the FO/MB for this coming season.I think SK doesn`t want to look like a bigger idiot by drafting a QB in RD 1 three years in a row.
SK wouldn't have to he will be gone, and the new GM will want "His" guy does that sound familiar

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Raises the question - Is one QB class truly better or worse than a preceding or following draft class? Or is this mainly an illusion? (i.e. Do QB classes from year to year, have pretty much the same quantity and quality of talent)?

Harry, what do you think?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Herbert is not that good, he’s a worse prospect then Mariota when coming out.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Miami will be so bad this year they will get the #1 pick, a QB, and Josh will be moved again.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Miami will be so bad this year they will get the #1 pick, a QB, and Josh will be moved again.

Your opinion .Several disagree. Several question if The "anointed transcendent super duper history defying QB" will prove worthy of his draft status/success.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Costello from Stanford is pretty good too. He's started 1 1/2 years already and put up good numbers last year.

I still am not sure on him he's much better than the guys who were there when he arrived but he has a hitchy release he drops his hands with the ball and then comes back. he also has a low release, he's tall but his release is kind of low. But he has a good arm and hes' accurate and he seems to be a very smart kid, not book smart I mean he seems to pick up stuff there faster than the other guys did.

I could see him being a good NFL QB but someone has to coach that hitch out of him. Murray had one too and they said at his throwing day the hitch was mostly gone so it's doable I guess.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Next years QB class does look good. Hopefully we won't have to worry about getting a qb. It will be an entertaining college season seeing how these guys perform.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Mock drafts from September of the college season before the draft get shredded. May predictions are completely worthless. I remember Alan Branch and Calais Campbell each being unanimous top 5 picks in October before the draft and both falling to the second round. Did anyone think that Kyler Murray would be drafted before Nick Bosa last May?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Harry is right about next year's QB class (And yes I know this past draft wasn't his best inside info from his friends) but let's say he bounces back next draft. If we have a high draft pick, and since we probably won't need a QB, a LOT of teams will be looking to move up to draft a QB from one of the GREAT QB classes ever. Bottom line, we'll secure a handful of picks by moving back. By the 2020 season will be at or near the top. Can't wait.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Mock drafts from September of the college season before the draft get shredded. May predictions are completely worthless. I remember Alan Branch and Calais Campbell each being unanimous top 5 picks in October before the draft and both falling to the second round. Did anyone think that Kyler Murray would be drafted before Nick Bosa last May?

Put on the tape and you see why. Bosa is a good player, but he doesnt have the impact a dynamic QB does.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Harry I always appreciate & respect your knowledge & input here but Ehlinger isn’t even remotely as good as Murray throwing the ball. Not even a comparison imo & I hate saying that about a Sooner lol

Signed, a Texas fan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave