Old vs New NFL

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
You are correct, but CKK has shown to take advantage of his offense players strengths and create mismatches with those strengths - whether it be a TE who can't be covered, a good RB, a physically gifted QB, etc,....

So hopefully with the tools that he has now, his scheme will be to create mismatches with the personnel, not fit the personnel into his system. Thank freaking gawd.

Someone will figure out a way to neutralize the AiR Raid .It might take a few weeks but someone will figure it out.The big question is can KK and his offense adapt to defense adapting to them? Its going to be react to the counter-reaction..and so forth.Cat and mouse trying to stay one step ahead.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone will figure out a way to neutralize the AiR Raid .It might take a few weeks but someone will figure it out.The big question is can KK and his offense adapt to defense adapting to them? Its going to be react to the counter-reaction..and so forth.Cat and mouse trying to stay one step ahead.
You can say this about any offense though. That's why talent+scheme creates mismatches against the defense, no matter what type of offense is run.

So the questions are (as you alluded to):

Do we have the necessary talent to out perform the defenses?

Do we have the proper schemes to fully utilize the players that we have to create mismatches?

If the answer is none, or even one, then it can be a miserable season. Hopefully both answers are "YES" and we can enjoy the results.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know. Lincoln Riley runs a different version with a lot of crossing patterns that rely heavily on the wide outs to make decisions and KM to read that best option. There could be so many variations that KK could run. I think he will specifically have a version he wants to implement but then can adjust so many things midseason if teams start to figure his quirks out..it happens to every offense in the game. Even the Patriots have to do this.. it's not just an air raid gimmick thing. If coaches can't adjust then they are toast. That was Chip Kelly's biggest issue... He was a one trick pony. I think there can be many implementations on the air raid so hopefully KK gets some pointers from Riley,Holgerson, Leach along the way..:)

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
You can say this about any offense though. That's why talent+scheme creates mismatches against the defense, no matter what type of offense is run.

Do we have the proper schemes to fully utilize the players that we have to create mismatches?

If the answer is none, or even one, then it can be a miserable season. Hopefully both answers are "YES" and we can enjoy the results.

It should be interesting to see what happens.I read a book written by John Brodie back in early 1970`s.I don`t know how many older guys remember him.He was QB for the 49ers from 57-73.Was a Al Pro and Pro Bowl QB during his career.He tells the story of being the QB when SF surprised the NFL by running the shotgun (this was 1961-62 I tthink) and SF kicked ass for 3-4 weeks scoring pretty well.Then they played the Bears and One of Halas`s assistants realized the shotgun was similar to something used years before and schemed the defense to stop it.Bears shut the Niners out and the rest of the NFL copied that and SF had to go back to a more conventional offense.I think the Falcons and the Oilers ran their versions of the Air Raid offense 20-30 years agos...lots of WRs and hardly using a TE..So its not a new concept.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. Lincoln Riley runs a different version with a lot of crossing patterns that rely heavily on the wide outs to make decisions and KM to read that best option. There could be so many variations that KK could run. I think he will specifically have a version he wants to implement but then can adjust so many things midseason if teams start to figure his quirks out..it happens to every offense in the game. Even the Patriots have to do this.. it's not just an air raid gimmick thing. If coaches can't adjust then they are toast. That was Chip Kelly's biggest issue... He was a one trick pony. I think there can be many implementations on the air raid so hopefully KK gets some pointers from Riley,Holgerson, Leach along the way..:)

It might catch people by surprise for a while but in this era of video and everything instantly available to view defensive coaches have more info to try and stymie the offense.:jedi:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Did you see this video on the Air Raid on the Cardinals?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
One of the key things about it, is that it is designed to adapt and react to what the defense is doing. Not that there aren't going to be defenses capable of slowing it down but it's still a very flexible system.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It might catch people by surprise for a while but in this era of video and everything instantly available to view defensive coaches have more info to try and stymie the offense.:jedi:
But that's my point..it's not about the offense you run as much as it is adjustments. Patriots would probably tell you this first hand.. imo

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
But that's my point..it's not about the offense you run as much as it is adjustments. Patriots would probably tell you this first hand.. imo

Tom Brady making adjustments is somewhat different than a rookie QB.Its going to still be read and react.Thats not a new concept.Neither are crossing patterns,multiple WRs,etc;.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lincoln Riley's version of the Air Raid also relies on a strong running game out of shotgun so we should see some of that as well. Another coach for Kingsbury to take i elements from would be Andy Reid as he modified his version of the West Coast Offense for Mahomes. Tom Clements our passing game coordinator also comes from a West Coast Offense background, I believe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have always championed ethnic diversity and no one rooted harder for Dennis Green and Coach Wilks than me. But I don't think Wilks was a PC option (we've hired white and minority coaches interchangeably throughout the years and our attitude to our HC's has been pretty much color-blind).
Sorry but if you don't think that hiring an untested and unproven black coach wasn't anything but a PC move you're kidding yourself. There were other minority options out there but Bidwill in typical Bidwill fashion wanted to do it on the cheap as well. I mean, I would have much preferred Jim Caldwell or even Ray Horton(who seems to have burned any head coaching bridged to the ground) because at least they're proven commodities(Horton more as a coordinator). It was the same for bringing in a female coach during pre-season. A PC move nothing else. Personally I cound't care less if they hired Howard the Duck as our head coach just as long as we win a Super Bowl. Also, if hiring Wilks wasn't a racial or PC one, the media sure as hell painted his firing as one.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I 100%, and will state again 100% agree with this.

I am fine with it in concerns to football,

But, this is what happens when you do things the "new way" in engineering and manufacturing. It is scary.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/industr...-admit-flaw-in-max-design-after-fatal-crashes

That is how you get the Boeing 737 max situation.

It is all cool, till someone you care about is on the plane.

Or as Chuck Palahniuk put it:

Narrator:
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Business woman on plane:
Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

Narrator:
You wouldn't believe.

Business woman on plane:
Which car company do you work for?

Narrator:
A major one.

This is what happened in the movie Class Action with Gene Hackman, great movie and very eye opening. Film came out in the 1980's or 90's.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Kingsbury hiring was a shock because he was a mediocre college coach at least record wise but I understand the Cards thinking with the QB's he's had under his tutelage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I keep reading posts about KK's college W/L record, wasn't he in a very tough conference that had several schools with established traditional recruiting advantages. KK developed an incredible Offense with lesser talent, his Defense couldn't keep up and that's not his forte. Maybe he should have figured out a better way to recruit and get a better D coordinator.

The concern of his W/L record is one of the reasons Keim has been so involved with hiring the coaches for KK's staff.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lincoln Riley's version of the Air Raid also relies on a strong running game out of shotgun so we should see some of that as well. Another coach for Kingsbury to take i elements from would be Andy Reid as he modified his version of the West Coast Offense for Mahomes. Tom Clements our passing game coordinator also comes from a West Coast Offense background, I believe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
And if we take notice.. all our free agent additions are known for their presence in the run game..along with kluger I believe they will definitely take a page from Riley's offense. Imo It's no secret that KK and Riley are good buds and probably piggy back off their ideas and philosophies.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

This. It is not KK's job to just consistently fool the other team into allowing us to score. It is his job to put his players in the best position possible for them to go up against mis-matches, one on one coverages or finding holes in zones and then it is up to the players to take advantage of those opportunities. The point of the air raid offense is to stress the opposing defense by creating those opportuities on a consistent basis and as long as we have the personnel to execute it I have confidence it will work at this level.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry but if you don't think that hiring an untested and unproven black coach wasn't anything but a PC move you're kidding yourself. There were other minority options out there but Bidwill in typical Bidwill fashion wanted to do it on the cheap as well. I mean, I would have much preferred Jim Caldwell or even Ray Horton(who seems to have burned any head coaching bridged to the ground) because at least they're proven commodities(Horton more as a coordinator). It was the same for bringing in a female coach during pre-season. A PC move nothing else. Personally I cound't care less if they hired Howard the Duck as our head coach just as long as we win a Super Bowl. Also, if hiring Wilks wasn't a racial or PC one, the media sure as hell painted his firing as one.
Cheap Bidwill left with Bill. Have you been in a coma or something? Lost all credibility there.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I keep reading posts about KK's college W/L record, wasn't he in a very tough conference that had several schools with established traditional recruiting advantages. KK developed an incredible Offense with lesser talent, his Defense couldn't keep up and that's not his forte. Maybe he should have figured out a better way to recruit and get a better D coordinator.

The concern of his W/L record is one of the reasons Keim has been so involved with hiring the coaches for KK's staff.
One would think you would have to have some success at some level. But I think KK was hired more for his innovation. Could be he wasn't given a chance in TT(2 years was it?) to develop the system.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Did you see this video on the Air Raid on the Cardinals?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
One of the key things about it, is that it is designed to adapt and react to what the defense is doing. Not that there aren't going to be defenses capable of slowing it down but it's still a very flexible system.

So video says kk is not afraid to pass 85% of the time? No need to establish a run threat in the NFL? Poppycock - Murray won’t last 8 games against the NFCW defenses without play action - will have to outperform nfl defenses in 2 second every play. Defenses get paid too - DJ and edmunds are not enough rb to give him 2.1 seconds - we need another back and at least 40% run plays to keep Murray from being an asterisk.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
It happens in the games actually not week to week these halftime adjustments that apply to both the offense and defense no I'm not a fan of these new College/ NFL offenses at all. It's almost guaranteed to hit a big brick wall sometime the question is is how will KK respond or if he can

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
So video says kk is not afraid to pass 85% of the time? No need to establish a run threat in the NFL? Poppycock - Murray won’t last 8 games against the NFCW defenses without play action - will have to outperform nfl defenses in 2 second every play. Defenses get paid too - DJ and edmunds are not enough rb to give him 2.1 seconds - we need another back and at least 40% run plays to keep Murray from being an asterisk.
So your thinking the same the old adage still applys you gotta have balance between run and pass to survive and thrive even in today's NFL, not be 50/50 like the old days but its gotta be at least 40% run 60% pass or so depending on the score of course

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hey man. Go get a chocolate milk shake or something. Was that necessary just because somebody disagreed with you?
While I don't think it was necessarily JC's intent, saying someone has "lost credibility" because of their opinion comes off as pretty condesending to me.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I don't think it was necessarily JC's intent, saying someone has "lost credibility" because of their opinion comes off as pretty condesending to me.

Even so, nothing here warrants that invective. jmo I'll let it go at that.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey man. Go get a chocolate milk shake or something. Was that necessary just because somebody disagreed with you?
So I should thank someone for questioning my credibility? You want to disagree with my opinion, fine. But you will never EVER see my post something like that to someone. But as long as it's against me I guess it's OK, right?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose