Hypothetical: Murray Slides

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Alright, we've argued about Kyler a lot. But let's say the Cardinals don't pull the trigger on him, and we end up with Bosa, Q, or even trade down. What are your particular thoughts on moving up or around for Kyler? Where would you consider it something you have to experiment with?

Do you trade into the teens for him from #33? Would you take him at the top of the second and discard Rosen for less than a first?

I want to hear from both lovers and haters.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If we do pass on him, then the franchise is set at Rosen at least for another season. I don't see passing on him, then using firepower later when this team is short on players to move up to get him. Your are either all in, or nothing basically. I think Keim is trying to leverage getting more picks because the draft is heavy in DL, you can slide and get one later. I think the Cards would like to move out of the one and get more picks, but they are trying to build a market for their pick. I think the league is going to call the Cards bluff and see if we to take Murray. If the Cards have Bosa or Q rated higher, they can't get cute. Just pick who we need. If we are really in love with Murray, then there's no way we trade the pick. We would be all over taking him. Keim keeps hinting we haven't made up our mind. He's begging someone to pick up the phone and trade for the first pick!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The only way it makes sense for me...

We pick #1.

Murray slides to a pick (11,15,17, etc) and that team wants Rosen. Basically, we would be trading Rosen for Murray.

I hope KK has faith in Rosen and we keep him but if they really want Murray, this would be only way (Get Bosa or Q at #1 and trade Rosen for Murray) I would feel we got the right value out of this draft situation.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even now,, I view Murray as a special opportunity that landed on our doorstep on Draft Day morning.

We can either leap on that that puppy or we can see it as an illusion designed to con us.

Should we pass on that opportunity, it's time to let it go. There are other fish to fry. The world of "would-as" & "should-as" is a world where people go to lose.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phil Savage‏Verified account @PhilSavage
While I am convinced @AZCardinals will select QB Kyler Murray, not 100% sure it will be at #1. Could see them trade down for "pennies on the dollar" to a team in the top 5 that has identified a defensive player as clearly the most certain in this draft. #NFLDraft2019
Raises an interesting question: Can Team A require in a deal that Team B not draft a specific player, players or positions?

Could the Cardinals agree to trade down with, say, the Jets at #3 or Oakland at #4 with the stip that they not draft Murray?

Only problem with that deal would be the Niners at #2 - Division rival could refuse to go along (i.e. either by drafting Murray or trading the pick to another team).

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
At this point, the team has already created so much chaos with this selection that it’s either you take him or you don’t. After your first-round pick, that’s it.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Raises an interesting question: Can Team A require in a deal that Team B not draft a specific player, players or positions?

Could the Cardinals agree to trade down with, say, the Jets at #3 or Oakland at #4 with the stip that they not draft Murray?

Only problem with that deal would be the Niners at #2 - Division rival could refuse to go along (i.e. either by drafting Murray or trading the pick to another team).

Question Jeff? Why would the Jets need to trade up? they need defense-At #3 Its possible Bosa,josh Allen,Quinnen Williams -one of those 3 will be still on the board.Also you still have Rashan Gary,Ed Oliver,Christian Wilikins,Dexter Lawrence,Clellin Ferrell all still available.
As for your question about requiring a no-trade to deal....maybe a verbal deal but what if the other team gets a offer that can`t refuse because its too good to pass up?It just doesn`t seem like a real workable premise because the GM has too take care of his own team first and foremost.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way this would work is if we traded down once or twice) and accumulated extra picks and Murray was to slip. I don’t see why we would do this. If we want Murray then do it with conviction and be done with it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i have thought a lot about this scenario:

Cards trade #1 to OAK for #4 and (lets say) #35. Oak takes....... Bosa.

At #4, Cards take Murray.

They could do this, presumably, because the Cards would know exactly who would want Murray, and, what they are willing to give up --

Trade with Oak is well below trade value, but Cards get a high 2nd and the player they wanted at #1 anyway.

Risk to this strategy if Murray is the target:

Quite possible that (lets say) the Jets are so motivated to trade down that their price is a fraction of trade chart as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alright, we've argued about Kyler a lot. But let's say the Cardinals don't pull the trigger on him, and we end up with Bosa, Q, or even trade down. What are your particular thoughts on moving up or around for Kyler? Where would you consider it something you have to experiment with?

Do you trade into the teens for him from #33? Would you take him at the top of the second and discard Rosen for less than a first?

I want to hear from both lovers and haters.

Anybody that really believes he is sliding more than a few spots is dead wrong. There is no chance in hell he could go lower than top 10. The Raiders, Redskins and Giants would all take him by then.

There is zero chance of this being a reality.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They could do this, presumably, because the Cards would know exactly who would want Murray, and, what they are willing to give up --

Trade with Oak is well below trade value, but Cards get a high 2nd and the player they wanted at #1 anyway.

Quite possible that (lets say) the Jets are so motivated to trade down that their price is a fraction of trade chart as well.

Oakland is not trading up for anyone other than Murray. I can't even believe people keep acting like they would.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one is trading up for the first pick. .IMO Murray will be picked at #1 by the Cards or #4 by the Raiders.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anybody that really believes he is sliding more than a few spots is dead wrong. There is no chance in hell he could go lower than top 10. The Raiders, Redskins and Giants would all take him by then.

There is zero chance of this being a reality.
But he's a running, short, QB.. there is no real market for those.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it would be a good refresher for some to watch the past drafts on NFL network as they've been airing. Draft day is wild and totally unpredictable. All these responses of telling people they are wrong or 100% certain something will or will not happen is ridiculous. I love everyone's own OPINION, but stop presenting opinions as facts please

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A lot of pundits of been watching, seem to think the Cards are the only suitor who would take him in round one.

So if Kliff really has a massive ***** for the kid...It seems like IF he really wants him...We could still have our pick of the litter AND KM.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why would they ever make a trade so far below trade value? In addition to the #2 Rd pick, Oakland. at a minimum, have to give up one of their late first Rd picks.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Why would they ever make a trade so far below trade value? In addition to the #2 Rd pick, Oakland. at a minimum, have to give up one of their late first Rd picks.

No kidding. Getting lowballed for just 24 or 27 is one thing but only getting a 2nd is straight assault.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

lets assume its the only and best offer

the Cards could:

1. Reject it, take Murray.

or

2. Accept it, take Murray at #4, have Pick #35 as well.

Absent some devotion to the trade chart, why wouldnt you do #2 in this situation?

to me the only rational reason to reject the trade is that pick #35 doesnt adequately compensate the Cards for the risk that they player they want (Murray) goes at pick #2 or #3.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of pundits of been watching, seem to think the Cards are the only suitor who would take him in round one.

So if Kliff really has a massive ***** for the kid...It seems like IF he really wants him...We could still have our pick of the litter AND KM.

Yeah the same pundits saying Daniel Jones will go top 15. Give me a break.