Okla State coach Mike Gundy with awesome comment about Kyler Murray!

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Mike Gundy, he of the greatest mullet on the planet, he of the greatest press conference: “Come after me, I am a man, I am 40” had a great comment about Kyler Murray. He said that they played Oklahoma the 10th game of the year and he had watched all 9 of their previous games leading up to the Oklahoma State game. In those games he saw Kyler Murray get tackled 7 times total in 9 games. The reporter asked him to clarify and he said all total with sacks, runs, etc Murray had only been tackled 7 times in 9 games.

I don’t know if that is 100% accurate, but if it is that is insane.

So those 9 sacks and those 82 rushing attempts BEFORE Oklahoma state Wonderboy just slid or ran out of bounds every time? Bullcrap.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. There is information out there if you choose to look. Rosen fits the mold of air raid qb. Mobility is not a primary trait.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Would you argue an actual dual threat QB with the actual threat of running is better than one that wouldnt be in this system or a variation of it?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you argue an actual dual threat QB with the actual threat of running is better than one that wouldnt be in this system or a variation of it?
I word argue that cerebral qualities outweigh mobility in the system.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Take Murray....Trade Rosen for a 3rd-5th. Maybe if Miami doesn't get their guy we can steal a 2nd. But use 33 on a good defensive player. A 3rd on a WR and the rest of defense ...maybe 1 OL

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Take Murray....Trade Rosen for a 3rd-5th. Maybe if Miami doesn't get their guy we can steal a 2nd. But use 33 on a good defensive player. A 3rd on a WR and the rest of defense ...maybe 1 OL

The Cards would easily get a 2nd for Josh and probably a 1st if they add a mid-rd pick. Heck I’m not the biggest Rosen guy but I’d easily trade a 1st for him before taking Lock or Jones there.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't think there is any denying that Murray can probably buy more time to pass the ball with his running skills. It's not that Murray will be trying to run the ball downfield all the time.

In the Air Raid it's which quarterback who can see the field the best and make quick decisions with multiple receivers running different routes.

Is it Murray or is it Rosen?

I suspect it might be Murray.
Really though, how much more time? It's not like Rosen got hit because he couldn't move - that pocket closed on him before any player could make something of it.

Neither Murray or Rosen are going to succeed on a team that can't establish a rhythm on offense. Murray's slight frame puts him at a much bigger risk of not being able to sustain some of that beating.

Essentially, here's my thinking - Murray gets a sprained ankle, hit behind the line on something his elite evasiveness can't get him out of, and he's going to struggle to compensate for height when he's too hurt to be mobile.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He was never in the pocket so he either threw the ball or he ran.

When he ran he either slid or ran out of bounds.

Or he ran into the end zone.

Watch the tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really though, how much more time? It's not like Rosen got hit because he couldn't move - that pocket closed on him before any player could make something of it.

Neither Murray or Rosen are going to succeed on a team that can't establish a rhythm on offense. Murray's slight frame puts him at a much bigger risk of not being able to sustain some of that beating.

Essentially, here's my thinking - Murray gets a sprained ankle, hit behind the line on something his elite evasiveness can't get him out of, and he's going to struggle to compensate for height when he's too hurt to be mobile.

I could compile a list of risks for Rosen as well. Rosen could get crushed behind the Cardinals offensive line like last season.

The nitty-gritty is which quarterback can make the best reads in this offense and get the ball to the receivers.

I think this should be the focal point.

A big part of me wants to trade down for more draft picks or stick with Rosen but this might be taking the easy way out.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He was never in the pocket so he either threw the ball or he ran.

When he ran he either slid or ran out of bounds.

Or he ran into the end zone.

Watch the tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get it man, he'll never be touched, he has a more magical ability to avoid hits than any player who has ever worn a football jersey, he's unstoppable, he'll never ever get blindsided by a guy that outweighs him by 200 lbs when his lineman misses a block.

I could compile a list of risks for Rosen as well. Rosen could get crushed behind the Cardinals offensive line like last season.

The nitty-gritty is which quarterback can make the best reads in this offense and get the ball to the receivers.

I think this should be the focal point.

A big part of me wants to trade down for more draft picks or stick with Rosen but this might be taking the easy way out.
No doubt that Rosen has these risks. Many risks. But we've already paid the price for him, and unless Murray is ten times better, we're going to be stuck with a tiny guy that very few in the industry think is the best player in this draft. And we can't just go do this again next year.

If Rosen sucks, we can accept that we gave it our due diligence and look for the right QB again. If Murray sucks, we stare at our feet with a top 10 pick next year, likely a new GM, and have to stick with this kid and a coach who couldn't make "his" guy work.

We are in an awful position. The best chance we have is to slowly build up an elite defense and functional offense. Not a hail mary on a kid who many don't even have as #1 at his position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt that Rosen has these risks. Many risks. But we've already paid the price for him, and unless Murray is ten times better, we're going to be stuck with a tiny guy that very few in the industry think is the best player in this draft. And we can't just go do this again next year.

If Rosen sucks, we can accept that we gave it our due diligence and look for the right QB again. If Murray sucks, we stare at our feet with a top 10 pick next year, likely a new GM, and have to stick with this kid and a coach who couldn't make "his" guy work.

We are in an awful position. The best chance we have is to slowly build up an elite defense and functional offense. Not a hail mary on a kid who many don't even have as #1 at his position.

Maybe sticking with Rosen is the right choice but the Cardinals shouldn't do it if they think Murray is better.

No guts, no glory.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Maybe sticking with Rosen is the right choice but the Cardinals shouldn't do it if they think Murray is better.

No guts, no glory.
I only have 9 days left to dance this dance, so I'm gonna keep doing it. Yes, you have to be willing to take risks, but not looking at the terrible future you're locking yourself into is a disaster.

The question is really "how much better?" If Murray gets you a win or two above Rosen, is that enough? I'd argue it isn't. What adds to my frustration is that people who have a lot more time to spend on football aren't even sure he's actually even better enough to warrant being picked over Rosen this year.

No guts, no glory, but this strikes me as chuck it up and pray.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have 9 days left to dance this dance, so I'm gonna keep doing it. Yes, you have to be willing to take risks, but not looking at the terrible future you're locking yourself into is a disaster.

The question is really "how much better?" If Murray gets you a win or two above Rosen, is that enough? I'd argue it isn't. What adds to my frustration is that people who have a lot more time to spend on football aren't even sure he's actually even better enough to warrant being picked over Rosen this year.

No guts, no glory, but this strikes me as chuck it up and pray.

I guess we will keep doing the dance. It's something to talk about anyway.

In regard to Murray and Rosen, I don't think it's a matter of degree. It's more, which one is the franchise quarterback.

Maybe it's neither.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I word argue that cerebral qualities outweigh mobility in the system.

Who says Murray isn't cerebral? Casserly? The same guy that walks back his comments a few days later.. trustworthy.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who says Murray isn't cerebral? Casserly? The same guy that walks back his comments a few days later.. trustworthy.
I didn't say he isn't. however, it is not a primary trait that is brought up in his scouting like it was with Rosen.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I guess we will keep doing the dance. It's something to talk about anyway.

In regard to Murray and Rosen, I don't think it's a matter of degree. It's more, which one is the franchise quarterback.

Maybe it's neither.
Yeah, and that's my point... I'd rather give Josh a chance to prove he is after investing in him, as opposed to handing the car keys to Murray for the next 2-3 years. I prefer the chance of Rosen getting it together with a more solid team, but I'm not convinced either guy is the answer. It's why I want to defer the decision.

In Murray, I see a mistake of JaMarcus Russel-esque proportions.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IIRC Murray took 3 sacks in the Bama game alone. Guy is gonna use a sample size of opposing teams that would have their hands full playing MAC teams. Only decent team on the regular schedule all year was Texas.

OU was a great team last year, but if they played in a competitive conference they wouldn't have made the playoffs. Bama skated most of the year too with a mostly soft ass baby poo schedule sprinkled with worthy opponents but at least they did OU a favor by dispatching them so they didn't have to suffer an even greater humiliation than OSU did at the fiesta bowl at the hands of clemson by getting demolished based on how they mopped the floor with Bama.

Full disclosure, I hate Clemson but can't deny their program has been next level.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Still lost in the convo though was that Haskins was and is the better QB. About the only time Haskins ran with the ball was goal line or a very rare wide open scramble opportunity. He took 1.1 sacks per game as a pocket passer during regular season (1.4 overall). Oh but maybe he just constantly throws the ball away to avoid a sack (which is smart), but no... His comp % is higher than KM, his passing TDs were higher than KM, his passing yards higher than KM and he had only 1 more INT than KM and only 2 more sacks. Oh, did I mention he threw like 40% more pass attempts (156 more attempts!) than KM and still managed that better comp %, low INT and low Sack.

Sorry, but KMs stats got padded on weak ass D with tons of busted of busted coverages and massive talent mismatches. Every coach and GM in the league is looking at that tape and saying "that poo isn't going to ever happen in the NFL whether you have some new magic college offense scheme with a rookie HC and QB or with Belichick and Brady"

This is why the smokescreen and hype trains seem convincing, I am not still not buying. If Rosen was a dud last year under a competent staff I would believe it more. I still think the odds of Rosen being a dud again are high, but I don't think the odds of KM being significantly better are high enough to warrant a #1 overall. Combine that was Rosen not having a full shakedown yet, KMs commitment and size issues, and I'm not buying. I'd rather they throw the #1 at Haskins than Murray if they were gonna reach for a QB in this draft, because any QB in this draft is technically a reach for us at #1.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
No. There is information out there if you choose to look. Rosen fits the mold of air raid qb. Mobility is not a primary trait.

Rosen is a below average quarterback. He doesn't have a mold. Trade him for anything we can get.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I didn't say he isn't. however, it is not a primary trait that is brought up in his scouting like it was with Rosen.

Good point. I have no idea about Murray's intelligence and understand play concepts.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
does a quote by some no name coach really deserve it's own thread when there's a THOUSAND Kyler Murray threads it could have been plopped into?
This no name coach would be the best head coach in the crappy Pac 12 by far. He's got a top 10 winning % in the country in the last 10 years

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose