Okla State coach Mike Gundy with awesome comment about Kyler Murray!

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mike Gundy, he of the greatest mullet on the planet, he of the greatest press conference: “Come after me, I am a man, I am 40” had a great comment about Kyler Murray. He said that they played Oklahoma the 10th game of the year and he had watched all 9 of their previous games leading up to the Oklahoma State game. In those games he saw Kyler Murray get tackled 7 times total in 9 games. The reporter asked him to clarify and he said all total with sacks, runs, etc Murray had only been tackled 7 times in 9 games.

I don’t know if that is 100% accurate, but if it is that is insane.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds Russell Wilson esque to me.. ok ok... I'm not saying he is going to be him.. I said, esque .lol

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Now change your QB to Rosen and think of that same scenario...
I think of the scenario where we have an elite defensive player to drop the same punishment on the opposing guy.

As opposed to what with Kyler Murray? Do you think he's just going to front flip over the defender and run for 40 yards?

"Run for your life kid" is not a successful offense.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's see how often he gets hit when he doesn't have an overwhelmingly talented offensive line blocking for him.[/QUOTE

Some real facts here, the Oklahoma OL was one of the best. He is also smart enough the know when to slide, go out of bounce and not take a hit.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think of the scenario where we have an elite defensive player to drop the same punishment on the opposing guy.

As opposed to what with Kyler Murray? Do you think he's just going to front flip over the defender and run for 40 yards?

You still didn't address your main concern with drafting the so called midget. What's Rosen gonna do behind a less than overwhelming line next year?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You still didn't address your main concern with drafting the so called midget. What's Rosen gonna do behind a less than overwhelming line next year?
Honestly? Nothing particularly special, but we can try again next year with a different QB if Rosen shows nothing. Or, continue to build the OL.

I just frankly think this team is more or less the same with Murray or with Rosen. A 5-6 win team. I'm not confident that Murray is going to change it. I don't want to put ourselves in a situation where we HAVE to keep a mediocre QB.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You act like running QBs dont get hit, the fact is, they get hit more.
Huh? I never said they don't..but the post is about how the kid avoids hits better than most. That's all. But, this isn't the first time someone has mentioned this about Murray. He has a knack for avoiding hits.. now, if that translates in the NFL...no one knows.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think there is any denying that Murray can probably buy more time to pass the ball with his running skills. It's not that Murray will be trying to run the ball downfield all the time.

In the Air Raid it's which quarterback who can see the field the best and make quick decisions with multiple receivers running different routes.

Is it Murray or is it Rosen?

I suspect it might be Murray.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think there is any denying that Murray can probably buy more time to pass the ball with his running skills. It's not that Murray will be trying to run the ball downfield all the time.

In the Air Raid it's which quarterback who can see the field the best and make quick decisions with multiple receivers running different routes.

Agreed. Why not get the round peg for the round hole? Rosen might run this system just fine. But if they believe Murray can run it better.. you do it. Imo. That could easily put up another 10 pts per game. If you feel like a defensive player can have that big of a difference, then by all means..

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Why not get the round peg for the round hole? Rosen might run this system just fine. But if they believe Murray can run it better.. you do it. Imo. That could easily put up another 10 pts per game. If you feel like a defensive player can have that big of a difference, then by all means..
Rosen is not a square peg in the air raid.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Mike Gundy, he of the greatest mullet on the planet, he of the greatest press conference: “Come after me, I am a man, I am 40” had a great comment about Kyler Murray. He said that they played Oklahoma the 10th game of the year and he had watched all 9 of their previous games leading up to the Oklahoma State game. In those games he saw Kyler Murray get tackled 7 times total in 9 games. The reporter asked him to clarify and he said all total with sacks, runs, etc Murray had only been tackled 7 times in 9 games.

I don’t know if that is 100% accurate, but if it is that is insane.

I call BS .More hype for the train.:barf:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does a quote by some no name coach really deserve it's own thread when there's a THOUSAND Kyler Murray threads it could have been plopped into?

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score

I disagree. I think it's Rosen. Rosen got the ball out at an average of 2.77 seconds. Below league average. Murray had all day to throw and could buy more time. Hes not used to getting it out quickly. We also don't know if Murray can go through his progressions. There is video evidence Rosen did in the NFL. I lean towards Josh.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure about the round peg for the round hole thing. :wink2:

However, when Kingsbury praised Murray, I suspect he saw what Murray was capable of doing with the Air Raid offense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I think it's Rosen. Rosen got the ball out at an average of 2.77 seconds. Below league average. Murray had all day to throw and could buy more time. Hes not used to getting it out quickly. We also don't know if Murray can go through his progressions. There is video evidence Rosen did in the NFL. I lean towards Josh.

Fair enough although this will be a new offense for Rosen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA