Suns lose again

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we get any pick other than #1 I think we should go all out for Ja.

shhhhh
ixnay on the all out ay

um, i'm worried about Ja's defense and size. another AI scorer, not a winner. i think Barrett's the man at 2 and we should look at some other options at 3

our shrewd and savvy GM would not give up anything of value for some wildly speculative draft day trade

(god help us)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would give it to them with some protection.

#4-6 for #2 plus 2020 top three protected, plus the Bucks pick. No brainer in my mind. It will be much easier to make the trade with the #3-4 pick than with the #5-7 of course.

For the Suns team, Ja might make more of an impact early than Zion. Its just about the position. I would still draft Zion #1.

I suspect Morant would have gone #5 or #6 in the 2018 draft. It's something to consider.

If the Suns are sure Morant is a franchise player it makes sense. He should be ready to start if he is that good.

As long as the 2020 draft pick is protected, I'd consider it. I guess I need to know more.

Drafting Morant at #2 is the right choice.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd be down for what the Mavs essentially did for Doncic last year. Trade the Suns pick this year plus a top 5 lottery protected first plus maybe TJ to move up and get Ja. The Suns do need multiple rotation players, but Ja has a chance to be a part of the next wave of really good PGs in the NBA once the Currys of the NBA start to slow down.
I’d do that as well.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect Morant would have gone #5 or #6 in the 2018 draft. It's something to consider.

If the Suns are sure Morant is a franchise player it makes sense. He should be ready to start if he is that good.

As long as the 2020 draft pick is protected, I'd consider it. I guess I need to know more.

Drafting Morant at #2 is the right choice.

This.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow. A rare moment of consensus on this board.
Um, no. There are at least 2 or 3 people who don't want Morant at all. It's Zion or trade as far as they're concerned. They want nothing to do with a rookie point guard.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Um, no. There are at least 2 or 3 people who don't want Morant at all. It's Zion or trade as far as they're concerned. They want nothing to do with a rookie point guard.
I must have them on ignore or something.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

How about acquiring a stop-gap veteran until Morant is ready? I don't think anyone in his/her right mind thinks Morant will be ready to contribute even an NBA average starting point guard level as a rookie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am more convinced of Ja every day. If we get any pick other than #1 I think we should go all out for Ja. That would include trading future picks or players on the roster outside of Booker and Ayton. I believe that Morant will not only be a star pg, he has the opportunity to be a superstar pg. And his defense is underrated.

It will be much easier to find a functional PF in free agency.

totally agree.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

who are those people?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ignore Squad.

don't think that's quite true. I know 1sun wasn't a fan at all until after Morant's first round performance in the tourney. He just doesn't want them to have to force-feed him the starting job and wants to bring Ja along slowly with a vet starting next year so we're not an epic disaster for the umpteenth season in a row.

don't remember seeing anyone else say No Ja, Zion or nothing. could be wrong but thought he turned everyone's heads after his tourney performance...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Ignore Squad.

If you want to turn a deaf ear to posters who have opinions different than yours, that is your prerogative.

There are those of us who believe (as Cheese described above) that it would be in the Suns best interest to
procure a Point Guard with NBA experience and draft a Power Forward expecting him to acclimate quicker.

It is a legitimate point of view. Expecting a college Point Guard to make the rest of the team better without
pro experience is highly improbable. It is not how MVSteve began. That is a fact.

If you believe differently, fine. But to ignore varying opinions is like wearing blinders. Aren't ASFN participants
here to learn from opinions of others as well as state our own? We are not the ones doing the ignoring.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
don't think that's quite true. I know 1sun wasn't a fan at all until after Morant's first round performance in the tourney. He just doesn't want them to have to force-feed him the starting job and wants to bring Ja along slowly with a vet starting next year so we're not an epic disaster for the umpteenth season in a row.

don't remember seeing anyone else say No Ja, Zion or nothing...

you are correct, sir. i haven't heard anyone say they didn't want Morant "at all"
and i don't have anyone on ignore
but if i did, it would be the posters who brag about putting others on ignore
(as if they are better than those they ignore)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to turn a deaf ear to posters who have opinions different than yours, that is your prerogative.

There are those of us who believe (as Cheese described above) that it would be in the Suns best interest to
procure a Point Guard with NBA experience and draft a Power Forward expecting him to acclimate quicker.

It is a legitimate point of view. Expecting a college Point Guard to make the rest of the team better without
pro experience is highly improbable. It is not how MVSteve began. That is a fact.

If you believe differently, fine. But to ignore varying opinions is like wearing blinders. Aren't ASFN participants
here to learn from opinions of others as well as state our own? We are not the ones doing the ignoring.

well... there's one i guess. passing on Ja at 2 (or anywhere after 1) would be a massive mistake, especially considering there aren't really ANY good PFs in the draft past the first pick.

also, you're hoping against hope that we're going to find our PG of the future in FA for the long-term. We don't have the cache as an organization to attract one of those guys and even if we did, we don't have the cap room to get a legit long-term solution either. So, faced with those facts (and they are facts at this point whether we want them to be or not), best case is they find a band-aid PG who can be at least okay next season while taking a possible superstar PG in the draft.

there just aren't PFs in the draft worth that high of a pick, especially in the face of Ja.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, you only ignore people who point out your hypocrisy by claiming they got "personal". Now you act above placing anyone on ignore, big surprise. Someone else can ask who you have on ignore and why and they'll be greeted with "Poop Head attacked me personally" but I guarantee there isn't a post made by me that calls him anything but a hypocrite and outlines why he is one. Hell, this post is an example of why he's a hypocrite.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
well... there's one i guess. passing on Ja at 2 (or anywhere after 1) would be a massive mistake, especially considering there aren't really ANY good PFs in the draft past the first pick.

also, you're hoping against hope that we're going to find our PG of the future in FA for the long-term. We don't have the cache as an organization to attract one of those guys and even if we did, we don't have the cap room to get a legit long-term solution either. So, faced with those facts (and they are facts at this point whether we want them to be or not), best case is they find a band-aid PG who can be at least okay next season while taking a possible superstar PG in the draft.

there just aren't PFs in the draft worth that high of a pick, especially in the face of Ja.
Do you agree, though, that if we do, we should also acquire an experienced Point Guard to give Ja time to develop and work his way into the starting role?

We had the #1 pick last year and he'll be lucky to come in third as Rookie of the Year. Many Suns fans were disappointed in Ayton from the start because he wasn't an instant Kareem.

Add to that the disappointments the Suns have had as General Manager and Head Coach and the unbalanced teams it has produced, which will make it more difficult for any college draftee to make a difference (just as it did Ayton, with no real Power Forward to take pressure off him).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you agree, though, that if we do, we should also acquire an experienced Point Guard to give Ja time to develop and work his way into the starting role?

We had the #1 pick last year and he'll be lucky to come in third as Rookie of the Year. Many Suns fans were disappointed in Ayton from the start because he wasn't an instant Kareem.

Add to that the disappointments the Suns have had as General Manager and Head Coach and the unbalanced teams it has produced, which will make it more difficult for any college draftee to make a difference (just as it did Ayton, with no real Power Forward to take pressure off him).

So help me, God, if someone comes back with "but we have Tyler Johnson to fill the veteran point guard role in the meantime"...

:thud:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
indeed, Tyler is a backup pg, not a valid starter
but i'm more open to seeing what Morant can do as a starter

Trae Young and Fox started slow but starting them turned out to be a excellent investment

i'll admit it may be at the expense of Ayton's development
and i definitely wouldn't start another rookie under Igor

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
everyone was in somewhat congenial agreement until the elitist Thought Police started waving their badges again

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
back on topic

i got mostly 6's and 7's on the sim

but last year the top seed has 25 percent of the lottery odds,
the second seed has 19.9 percent
and the third seed has 15.6 percent

about the same odds for us at third, but overall it's better for us because the odds are lowered for first and second

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
indeed, Tyler is a backup pg, not a valid starter
but i'm more open to seeing what Morant can do as a starter

Trae Young and Fox started slow but starting them turned out to be a excellent investment

i'll admit it may be at the expense of Ayton's development
and i definitely wouldn't start another rookie under Igor

Tyler is not a PG, period.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose