I’m Confused

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best guess here is that they aren't announcing they are taking Murray because if they get a good offer then they don't want Josh Rosen knowing he wasn't the top option.

It really looks like it is:

Option #1 Trade Down for a bunch of assets
Option #2 Take Murray

The only way it won't make sense is if they take Bosa or Williams at #1.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good post Harry.

Is it possible they have already agreed to trade terms for Rosen and the league is making them wait to announce? Makes the draft even more interesting.

I hope that's not the case...just wondering if that is plausible.

That's what Florio keeps pushing. I just have a hard time believing it. That would be some scandalous **** IMO.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
My best guess here is that they aren't announcing they are taking Murray because if they get a good offer then they don't want Josh Rosen knowing he wasn't the top option.

It really looks like it is:

Option #1 Trade Down for a bunch of assets
Option #2 Take Murray

The only way it won't make sense is if they take Bosa or Williams at #1.

I really want Bosa as the top pick.Okay with Q.Williams as the pick.

After stating that..I am agreeing with you about Option #1.Each day it seems more like Cards are holding out for a good haul for the pick.I know its lying time in the NFl but it does seem like the voices are moving a bit away from Murray as Cards pick.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If I am correct they cant have a contract signed before he or anyone else is drafted per league rules

Unless they’ve changed it the team with the first pick can negotiate and sign. Once that happens the team with the second pick can do the same and so forth.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Good post Harry.

Is it possible they have already agreed to trade terms for Rosen and the league is making them wait to announce? Makes the draft even more interesting.

I hope that's not the case...just wondering if that is plausible.

They wouldn’t have to announce but the league is powerless until the actual trade form is sent to the league office. The league could ask but has no power.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Two questions:

1. What is the rush to shop Rosen ?

2. What is the rush to sign ANYONE in the draft, when the salaries are slotted ?

I do not see the issues that are being brought up here.

If they get picks for Rosen they can start talking trade depending how they feel the need to be positioned. They can see who’s open to moving.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Unless this is some weird social psychology experiment the team is playing on fans and the media, nothing about this process makes sense. The team isn’t individually adding value to any of the draft prospects and the #1 pick has little value because there isn’t a generational, fail-safe quarterback in this draft like Andrew Luck. This is the worst year to have pick #1 since 2013.

Literally, the entire landscape of #1 changed when the TTU/OU Murray hype video came out. I would’ve predicted it to be Bosa without the surfacing of the video. Now, I don’t know what this FO is going to do, nor do I trust it.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It makes no sense. There is no one worth trading up for since Murray is dynamic but a unprecedented risk while there are about four DL which really do not have much separation unless one gets picky about team fit

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Other than doing their due diligence of having the 1st pick. When has the Cardinal organization ever expressed a greater amount of interest in Murray, than any of the other potential 1st picks.

It is the pontiffs within the media that are saying the Cardinals are sold on him. KK mentioned him as a college coach who's was about to play against Murray. I don't think the Cardinals organization has actually said anything!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't thought of that!! I wouldn't like it either, but it would make sense. One detractor would be that they shouldn't allow him to be working out right now.... Excellent thought though!

Teams are all doing their OTAs now, No way would a team trade for Rosen and left him work out at the Cards facility. They would want him at their location starting to learn their playbook.. Rosen could also get injured while working out in Tempe.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
If the Cards really intend to take Murray, why not announce it? By rule they could even talk contract. I just don’t understand what advantage is gained by playing coy this late in the game. If any other team wanted Murray they’d have to put up or pass. Also team’s would get serious about acquiring Rosen. I don’t think waiting until draft day will greatly increase urgency as everyone has their board done and all their scouting reports in and synthesized. It time for the Cards to assess the real value of what they hold. I suppose you could argue that a late first round team, like the Pats, might get more interest if their desired QB selection is gone. On the other hand I wouldn’t make a deal yet for #33. Depending on who is available after round 1 depletes the pool they might get an excellent offer for that pick. With the first 3 round being so strong, they could get a 2 & a 3 for that pick. Considering the depth the Cards need to build I’d seriously consider that move.

I think the answer is that the Cards don't want Murray. If they did, they would be actively shopping Rosen, trying to create a bidding war for him. And if that were happening, we would all have surely heard about it. What's happening is that the Cards are generating all kinds of talk about Murray, hoping to drive up the price tag to jump to number 1. Here's hoping the Raiders bite!

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Other than doing their due diligence of having the 1st pick. When has the Cardinal organization ever expressed a greater amount of interest in Murray, than any of the other potential 1st picks.

It is the pontiffs within the media that are saying the Cardinals are sold on him. KK mentioned him as a college coach who's was about to play against Murray. I don't think the Cardinals organization has actually said anything!

This. Cards haven't said anything either way. It's the sports writers & fans creating all of the drama.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Cards don't want to miss even the faintest scenario that would give us the best possible trading terms. Smokescreen possibility maximizes our leverage even if only to a minimal degree.

Maybe it's only a 2020 mid-round pick, but it's still something.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the Cards don't want to miss even the faintest scenario that would give us the best possible trading terms. Smokescreen possibility maximizes our leverage even if only to a minimal degree.

QFT...We have EVERYTHING to gain and nothing to lose by keeping the cards close to the vest...worse case scenario is we get nothing tangible, but I suspect another team will do something foolish (either reach or make a stupid trade) because of this strategy and hopefully it will benefit us in the long run.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's not discount the drama up to draft night.. that's another , and the main reason imo, that we are not hearing anything but pure speculation at this point..that is a huge event....and the NFL and it's vested interest know this. Jmo

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I’m defaulting to this situation, with little confidence that a trade will happen

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

This. Cards haven't said anything either way. It's the sports writers & fans creating all of the drama.

Keim stoked the fire when he said Rosen is the QB "right now".

Other than that, I don't believe the Cardinals have said anything.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim stoked the fire when he said Rosen is the QB "right now".

Other than that, I don't believe the Cardinals have said anything.
which he should say and everyone knew he would say but it still made news.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray could get hit by a bus between now and the draft... in which case, the Cardinals would likely keep Rosen... which would be kinda awkward if they've let the world know they wanted Murray.

If they're trying to shop Rosen, they could quietly let other teams know it, without announcing it publicly. Of course, there's a chance that the info could leak, but the Cardinals could still plausibly deny the "rumor".

...dave

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Bottom line the NFL wants the suspense going down to the wire with the #1 pick unlike years past! It’s called ratingS!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Murray could get hit by a bus between now and the draft... in which case, the Cardinals would likely keep Rosen... which would be kinda awkward if they've let the world know they wanted Murray.

If they're trying to shop Rosen, they could quietly let other teams know it, without announcing it publicly. Of course, there's a chance that the info could leak, but the Cardinals could still plausibly deny the "rumor".

...dave

How can you plausibly deny a rumour when you in fact have been shopping a player ?

(Unless you see plausible deniability and lying as one and the same)

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can you plausibly deny a rumour when you in fact have been shopping a player ?

Easy... first of all, it's unlikely a team would spill the beans on the record, if Keim asked the GM to keep it under wraps. So if word got out, it would most likely be in the form of a rumor from an unattributed source, and Keim could simply deny it. Or at worst, he could say something like, "We listen to all offers, and some teams called to discuss trading for Rosen, but the Cardinals are happy with Rosen as their QBOF and we were not interested in any of the offers."

...dbs

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
It makes no sense. There is no one worth trading up for since Murray is dynamic but a unprecedented risk while there are about four DL which really do not have much separation unless one gets picky about team fit
So say you. But we don't really know what teams are thinking. No one could imagine that Trubisky would go as high as he did in 2017, let alone that a team would trade up to draft him.

All it takes is one team that strongly believes in a player and they worry that others might have the same opinion. Like some have said here if you think Murray is that good go get him. Maybe someone else feels that way too. We just don't know at this point.