I’m Confused

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If the Cards really intend to take Murray, why not announce it? By rule they could even talk contract. I just don’t understand what advantage is gained by playing coy this late in the game. If any other team wanted Murray they’d have to put up or pass. Also team’s would get serious about acquiring Rosen. I don’t think waiting until draft day will greatly increase urgency as everyone has their board done and all their scouting reports in and synthesized. It time for the Cards to assess the real value of what they hold. I suppose you could argue that a late first round team, like the Pats, might get more interest if their desired QB selection is gone. On the other hand I wouldn’t make a deal yet for #33. Depending on who is available after round 1 depletes the pool they might get an excellent offer for that pick. With the first 3 round being so strong, they could get a 2 & a 3 for that pick. Considering the depth the Cards need to build I’d seriously consider that move.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking maybe it’s been a mistake to show interest in Murray. Maybe it would have been better to show no interest to see if anybody was willing to move up to #1 to take him. As far as Rosen if we wait until we make Murray our pick it could go both ways. Teams could look at us a make a lowball offer figuring we are stuck with him. Or we could get two or three teams bidding up for him. I’m at the point now I think the most we are going to get is a 2nd and 3rd. It would give us ammunition to move up if need be. Having two 2nd’s and two 3rds could be pretty good.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If the Cards really intend to take Murray, why not announce it?

Simple

The Cardinals have yet to say anything about the 1st overall pick.

The national media doesn't work for the Cardinals or make any decisions for them. Neither does their fan base.

It is really, REALLY simple, no one, fans included, are entitled for an explanation, or any information until the Cardinals deem it so. I am VERY impressed with the front office, and how they have kept things internal. That lack of interest in the organization for all those years could be why they have been so successful in not allowing the news to leak out.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There going to hold off until the clock is zero and 1 second, to see if Raiders or another team offer a bounty of picks for Murray, or to move up for another player.

So why announce it's Murray? If you can acquire picks and go to 3 or 4 and still land him. There could be someone in love with Bosa, etc. Don't show your hand and hold out to see all offers.

Also when the QBs fly off the board and Rosen is the only option, the price of Rosen will rise, so Cards will hold their Cards close to the vest. Also why announce the pick is Murray, if later on you get offered a stellar trade down for picks, than they are going to stay with Rosen. So their is no reason to announce anything.

Also when Murray was here with his agent, a fact the Cardinals our trying to hide. I am sure they worked on a skeleton and Gist of a contract, hypothetically if he is chosen at #1, as well as Baseball protection against Murray running away. So there is no reason for the Cardinals to open their mouths at all.

Also Klingsbury agent and Murray have the same agent, so why announce anything. I am sure Murray KK, the Front Office and the Agent are all on the same page, of whats going on.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Why can’t the Cards like Murray and meet with him to see if he can process NFL information/gauge how committed he is to football? As long as Rosen is informed there’s no downside unless he’s super insecure which we know isn’t true. When the Cards don’t take Murray it won’t matter anymore.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I'm reading more and more reports that Q is the pick and not Murray or Bosa this would make a awful lot if sense to me and there absolutely no need to announce anything till something happens I really would like to trade Down as much as possible This team has more wholes than a water jug full of buckshot

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are really taking Murray then they need to have a contract in place before the pick is announced next week. That contract needs some sort of protection from Murray jumping from the NFL for MLB. The Cardinals would be crazy to select Murray at #1 overall and not have him already agreeing to a contract with those protections.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
If they are really taking Murray then they need to have a contract in place before the pick is announced next week. That contract needs some sort of protection from Murray jumping from the NFL for MLB. The Cardinals would be crazy to select Murray at #1 overall and not have him already agreeing to a contract with those protections.
If I am correct they cant have a contract signed before he or anyone else is drafted per league rules

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing for the last few weeks Harry! If Murray is their guy then stop effing around and start shopping Rosen. Let other GMs know he is available before they start looking for other options

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Good post Harry.

Is it possible they have already agreed to trade terms for Rosen and the league is making them wait to announce? Makes the draft even more interesting.

I hope that's not the case...just wondering if that is plausible.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
thats the whole thing. If you announce nothing, teams who want Bosa are nervous. Teams who wants Q are nervous. Teams who want allen are nervous. the list goes on. Keep everyone nervous, not just teams who like murray.

How does it benefit the Cards to have other teams nervous when we are taking Murray at #1? It makes sense if we aren't, but if he is our guy, nobody can do anything about it

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good post Harry.

Is it possible they have already agreed to trade terms for Rosen and the league is making them wait to announce? Makes the draft even more interesting.

The chance of the League, the Cards, the other team, Rosen and KM's entourage keeping this secret are slim and none - IMO.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does it benefit the Cards to have other teams nervous when we are taking Murray at #1? It makes sense if we aren't, but if he is our guy, nobody can do anything about it

Maybe some team offers a kings ransom to get him instead and the offer is so good you cannot refuse

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good post Harry.

I haven't thought of that!! I wouldn't like it either, but it would make sense. One detractor would be that they shouldn't allow him to be working out right now.... Excellent thought though!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing for the last few weeks Harry! If Murray is their guy then stop effing around and start shopping Rosen. Let other GMs know he is available before they start looking for other options

Two questions:

1. What is the rush to shop Rosen ?

2. What is the rush to sign ANYONE in the draft, when the salaries are slotted ?

I do not see the issues that are being brought up here.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe some team offers a kings ransom to get him instead and the offer is so good you cannot refuse

Possibly, but if Murray is truly this special QB in their eyes, they shouldn't be debating letting him go

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing a contract protects is money. If he decided to jump back to baseball he would have to pay back a boatload of money and we’d be left without a qb.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is madness. Contracts are slotted; there's nothing to discuss but offset language. :shrug:

The Cards can claw back the signing bonus if Murray flips back to baseball. I believe it's already baked into the CBA. Not much the Cards can do about the draft capital they will have squandered in that event.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. What is the rush to shop Rosen ?

2. What is the rush to sign ANYONE in the draft, when the salaries are slotted ?

I do not see the issues that are being brought up here.

I would want to create a bidding war with as many teams as possible. Let every GM know that Rosen is an option right now. Let rumors start circulating about offers coming in.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe they arent but I see no reason to show their hand right now.

I only have issue if they are taking Murray, because that means another move has to be made with Rosen. This is a great strategy if they are not set on Murray

Reactions: PJ1

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All part of the show.. it's so the media, message boards, and everyone alike can drive up the interest going into the draft. Gotta get those ratings, after all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose