Top 7 Players in the NBA Draft

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We really need a veteran to play the point, not another kid.
I second that emotion! A draftee at Power Forward with an experienced Point Guard
would help the rest of team rather than vice versa.

A role playing PF would be a benefit to Ayton. A role playing PG would be a benefit
to every player on the court.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I second that emotion! A draftee at Power Forward with an experienced Point Guard
would help the rest of team rather than vice versa.

A role playing PF would be a benefit to Ayton. A role playing PG would be a benefit
to every player on the court.
What's your definition of a role-playing point guard. You keep calling for a veteran point guard, but there are very few that fit that mold that would actually sign with the Suns. In the absence of such a player, then you have to do what is next best, and that is draft. That's why it's so ridiculous that the anti-Morant crew doesn't even consider that the best "vet" point guard we might be able to get is already on the roster, Tyler Johnson.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What's your definition of a role-playing point guard. You keep calling for a veteran point guard, but there are very few that fit that mold that would actually sign with the Suns. In the absence of such a player, then you have to do what is next best, and that is draft. That's why it's so ridiculous that the anti-Morant crew doesn't even consider that the best "vet" point guard we might be able to get is already on the roster, Tyler Johnson.

That's because Tyler Johnson is NOT a point guard. We might as well play Troy Daniels at the point. Both have the same skill set.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

The definition of a role playing Point Guard . . .

A skilled distributor playing the point, and one experienced in defending NBA Point Guards.

One who, without any question, would lead to returning Booker to the Shooting Guard position,
and being fed by the team's new best distributor, as well as Ayton being fed.

And allow Devin to be recognized as an All Star rather than be stretched too thin to earn it.

It is too much to have expected Book to be another James Hardin. Especially on this young
and unbalanced team.

Do you not see the point, Chap, that a rookie (another young player) would take a few years
to acclimate to the NBA? It is more crucial at the Point Guard position than Power Forward to
go with a veteran.

A good General Manager should have little difficulty in making it happen. He needs to.

Whether Jones, the #2 man behind Sarver (ugh!), can pull it off remains to be seen.

If he doesn't, it will be another season of SOS (in more ways than one). :)

Results talk! Do we really want more of the same?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yes rookies take time to develop. Name one person on this board that doesn’t know that.

Again in the absence of one option you have to use others. What’s to say you will continue the same narrative one year, two years, five years from now? That’s been your MO every year. Even when we were good. I certainly don’t want to look back in three years and say, “Boy I wish we would have drafted Ja 3 years ago.”

It’s nice to think we are one or two veteran pieces from being a perrenial playoff team, but we aren’t.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The definition of a role playing Point Guard . . .

A skilled distributor playing the point, and one experienced in defending NBA Point Guards.

One who, without any question, would lead to returning Booker to the Shooting Guard position,
and being fed by the team's new best distributor, as well as Ayton being fed.

And allow Devin to be recognized as an All Star rather than be stretched too thin to earn it.

It is too much to have expected Book to be another James Hardin. Especially on this young
and unbalanced team.

Do you not see the point, Chap, that a rookie (another young player) would take a few years
to acclimate to the NBA? It is more crucial at the Point Guard position than Power Forward to
go with a veteran.

A good General Manager should have little difficulty in making it happen. He needs to.

Whether Jones, the #2 man behind Sarver (ugh!), can pull it off remains to be seen.

If he doesn't, it will be another season of SOS (in more ways than one). :)

Results talk! Do we really want more of the same?
So. Who best fits that bill? Maybe Malcom Brogdon. That’s about it. The next best player is already on our roster in Tyler Johnson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. His handle looks really weak to me.

I haven't watched White or Garland play that much but the injury to Garland worries me some. Neither have great assist to turnover ratios. Have to like the height on White like GatorAz mentioned.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So. Who best fits that bill? Maybe Malcom Brogdon. That’s about it. The next best player is already on our roster in Tyler Johnson.

Why, oh why, do people here keep proposing to play Tyler Johnson at the point, when he has proved time and time again that he is not a point guard, and when even in the two good games we played with him, we still had to revert to the usual disaster that is Point Book?

Talk about an overreaction to two miraculous wins against good teams where we had to come back from huge deficits. We also won at Milwaukee on November 23rd. Why don't we stick with that line-up while we're at it?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes rookies take time to develop. Name one person on this board that doesn’t know that.

Again in the absence of one option you have to use others. What’s to say you will continue the same narrative one year, two years, five years from now? That’s been your MO every year. Even when we were good. I certainly don’t want to look back in three years and say, “Boy I wish we would have drafted Ja 3 years ago.”

It’s nice to think we are one or two veteran pieces from being a perrenial playoff team, but we aren’t.

It is not from now, Chap. From three lead Point Guard to no lead Point Guards didn't just begin. Chaos at the position has been going on for years.

This is time to assess the Point Guard situation. If we use our top pick on a Point Guard this year, I am all for drafting Ja to learn behind a veteran Point Guard.

That would be a luxury. But a veteran Point Guard remains a necessity . . . AND use our top pick on another necessity. A real Power Forward (which would be much quicker for a rookie to handle).

Yes, I want to see the Suns have their cake and eat it, too. And to finally fill both of their needs, not just one a year. Isn't that what a fan should hope for?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It is not from now, Chap. From three lead Point Guard to no lead Point Guards didn't just begin. Chaos at the position has been going on for years.

This is time to assess the Point Guard situation. If we use our top pick on a Point Guard this year, I am all for drafting Ja to learn behind a veteran Point Guard.

That would be a luxury. But a veteran Point Guard remains a necessity . . . AND use our top pick on another necessity. A real Power Forward (which would be much quicker for a rookie to handle).

Yes, I want to see the Suns have their cake and eat it, too. And to finally fill both of their needs, not just one a year. Isn't that what a fan should hope for?
And again, you and your group love to harp on the need for a veteran point guard but not provide any REALISTIC options. And let’s face it, the only realistic options aren’t even starter level.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
And again, you and your group love to harp on the need for a veteran point guard but not provide any REALISTIC options. And let’s face it, the only realistic options aren’t even starter level.

Heh, I have them on ignore, but I am guessing the response is going to be, "It's not my job to know the specifics. Jones gets paid to know that." I've tried reasoning with those folks before. It always comes back to, "Uh, I don't know who, it should just be somebody good."

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Collison and Teague should be attainable in free agency, and while neither is a star, both are perfectly adequate for what we need from the point guard position.

Walker would be ideal, but I know it isn't realistic to expect him to go anywhere than Charlotte, New York, Brooklyn or Boston.

Brogdon might be attainable, since the Bucks gave Bledsoe his extension.

If Brooklyn signs Walker or Irving, we should go after Russell.

Conley would be fine as a stop gap until a younger point guard develops.

Rose might be as well, though I am wary of his injury history.

Lowry might be available in trade if Toronto flames out in the playoffs.

Jrue Holiday might also be available in a trade.

Kris Dunn is almost certainly available in a trade.

Enough options for you?

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Man, I tried to start a pure draft thread since every other Suns thread seems to devolve into the same thing... oh well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, I tried to start a pure draft thread since every other Suns thread seems to devolve into the same thing... oh well.

We're one month from the lottery, once that takes place I think everyone will focus on the pick more. Last year gave most of hope, even if we won't admit. We actually moved up for a change and know that it's possible. If we don't stay in the top 3 though I think the vast majority here will be calling for a trade. At that point we can have 2 dedicated threads, one for trade proposals and one for if we keep it.

Of course if we get #1 then we'll probably all be talking about wrapping Zion in bubble wrap and getting him a security detail to make sure nothing happens to him before we can add him to our team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the national title game probably cost Jarrett Culver of Texas Tech quite a bit of money as eh was thoroughly dominated by DeAndre Hunter. He was a projected lottery pick going into the final 4, probably fell out because he had so much trouble getting his shot against an NBA level defender.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the national title game probably cost Jarrett Culver of Texas Tech quite a bit of money as eh was thoroughly dominated by DeAndre Hunter. He was a projected lottery pick going into the final 4, probably fell out because he had so much trouble getting his shot against an NBA level defender.

Different positions, but yeah. Culver doesn't fit the Suns' needs, anyway. Hunter, on the other hand, might project as a stretch 4 and has a long enough wingspan and enough weight to play a new age power forward, in my opinion. By comparison, Shawn Marion was 6-7, 220, Hunter is 6-7 225, and Draymond Green is 6-7, 230.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different positions, but yeah. Culver doesn't fit the Suns' needs, anyway. Hunter, on the other hand, might project as a stretch 4 and has a long enough wingspan and enough weight to play a new age power forward, in my opinion. By comparison, Shawn Marion was 6-7, 220, Hunter is 6-7 225, and Draymond Green is 6-7, 230.

Some were apparently projecting Culver as a combo guard that might morph into a PG but way off of that, he can only go right and he showed very little ability to shake Hunter off the bounce.

With Draymond the thing you have to remember is his reach, he's got something like a 7'2" wingspan. He's not exactly a great leaper but he's got exceptional timing on blocking shots, he either leaves his feet early and gets the shot before the shooter elevates, or he waits to the very last second and gets it.

Hunter is interesting, against Purdue he couldn't begin to slow down Edwards, the little freshman PG from So Cal for UVA Kehei Clark did a much better job on him because he was able to stay close enough to bother him, Hunter tried to play off and use his length and Edwards scored repeatedly on him. But against Culver, Hunter just completely kryptonited him. He's also improved offensively, he has an interesting future I've seen people compare him to Kawhi Leonard. Kawhi was an undersized 5 coming out of HS, so they didn't start from the same place but I think they have some similar skills. I think Kawhi is bigger and again he just has remarkable timing on defense.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some were apparently projecting Culver as a combo guard that might morph into a PG but way off of that, he can only go right and he showed very little ability to shake Hunter off the bounce.

With Draymond the thing you have to remember is his reach, he's got something like a 7'2" wingspan. He's not exactly a great leaper but he's got exceptional timing on blocking shots, he either leaves his feet early and gets the shot before the shooter elevates, or he waits to the very last second and gets it.

Hunter is interesting, against Purdue he couldn't begin to slow down Edwards, the little freshman PG from So Cal for UVA Kehei Clark did a much better job on him because he was able to stay close enough to bother him, Hunter tried to play off and use his length and Edwards scored repeatedly on him. But against Culver, Hunter just completely kryptonited him. He's also improved offensively, he has an interesting future I've seen people compare him to Kawhi Leonard. Kawhi was an undersized 5 coming out of HS, so they didn't start from the same place but I think they have some similar skills. I think Kawhi is bigger and again he just has remarkable timing on defense.

Hunter also has a 7'2" wingspan...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hunter also has a 7'2" wingspan...

Interesting. I don't see him as strong as Draymond but he's not skinny either. Draymond is an exceptional passer, almost twice as many assists his junior year to what Hunter had. You have to account for Pace, UVA plays VERY slow, but I don't see Hunter as the ballhandler and passer Draymond is but he is also a much better shooter than Draymond.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't see him as strong as Draymond but he's not skinny either. Draymond is an exceptional passer, almost twice as many assists his junior year to what Hunter had. You have to account for Pace, UVA plays VERY slow, but I don't see Hunter as the ballhandler and passer Draymond is but he is also a much better shooter than Draymond.

I don't see Hunter as another Draymond or Marion. I just used the size comparisons to illustrate that his size could work as a stretch 4. If the Suns don't land in the top 3, Hunter is who I want with their pick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see Hunter as another Draymond or Marion. I just used the size comparisons to illustrate that his size could work as a stretch 4. If the Suns don't land in the top 3, Hunter is who I want with their pick.

I would suggest recency bias. He's a good player but he was actually struggling in the tourney until the great 2nd half and OT. But he's a good player, plays hard, well coached, unlikely to be a total bust on sheer effort.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would suggest recency bias. He's a good player but he was actually struggling in the tourney until the great 2nd half and OT. But he's a good player, plays hard, well coached, unlikely to be a total bust on sheer effort.

I actually liked what I saw of him during the season as well. He won't be a star in the NBA, but I think he will be an excellent role player who will bring it every night and contribute well on both sides of the ball, which is what I think the Suns need at the 4 spot. It would be great to get a rim protector to complement Ayton, but in my opinion, Hunter is the next best thing - a good outside shooter who provides capable weak side help defense and shotblocking. I don't think there are any power forwards in this draft other than Zion who are both rim protectors and good outside shooters.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave