Mock draft

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Recently I participated in a mock draft along with a lot of other guys, and I played the role as general manager of the Cardinals.

Before I describe the events I thought I would post a clip with the new linebacker coach, Billy Davis. Not to toot my own horn, but I have been saying that exact thing for years, but now people can hear an actual NFL coach tell it:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Anyway, the point is that I tried to do what Davis describes as it relates to the Cardinals.

My overall goal was to do everything in my power to help out Rosen, and thus strengthen the pass attack and blocking. I do think a lot of people are criticizing Rosen completely out of context, and that context being that he needs blocking and receivers who gets open – things he didn’t have last year.

The second goal was to choose solid players that I feel strongly will not be busts. There’s obviously no guarantee for that no matter how hard you try, but my point is that I would rather take players I deem to have high floors to their level than the perceived bigger potential, only with more bust risk as well. I wanted to elevate the team’s floor, you could say, so that their playing level would never fall lower than that. So that they wouldn’t get blown out in many games.

I do think there’s something to be said about simply trying to not screw up (at least in the first- and second round) as opposed to shooting for the jackpot. There’s a reason why you are picking first. You don’t have many solid players with high floors.

I also want to note that it’s obviously almost impossible to know how Kingsbury’s offense will actually look. I mean, we can look at his time at Texas Tech, but they don’t play in the NFL with those conditions that brings, so it’s not an accurate picture. So, I selected players that I think will fit the offense, but I could easily be very wrong.

First round

A couple of days before the start of the mock draft I told the other participants that I was open to selling the pick. Now, it has to be said that we were only allowed to use picks from this draft as payment, so in reality only the Raiders and the Giants could have payed my prize. I did get an offer from the Dolphins who offered their first-, second- and third round pick, but I didn’t think that was nearly enough.

I was really in doubt if I should take edge rusher Nick Bosa, edge rusher Josh Allen or defensive tackle Quinnen Williams. In the end I choose Bosa. Allen and Williams are great prospects. Absolute monsters. I just think Bosa is a half inch better. I once heard an analyst say that if pass rush was an art, Bosa would be Picasso, and he is correct. That said, some team will be very happy with Allen and Williams, and I think if those three were in separate draft classes, all three would be considered the top prospect that year.

First round pick – Nick Bosa, edge rusher, Ohio State

So, there were several reasons that I decided to take Bosa. The main reason were, as I mentioned above, that my overall goal with this draft was to find really solid players.

I think Bosa’s technique is highly advanced for a draft prospect, and I think that allows him to kind of fall back on that basic abilities if he doesn’t reach his full potential. Allen and Williams’ potential might even be bigger than Bosa’s, but as far as there is such thing as a safe draft prospect, I do think it would be Bosa.

Another reason was that I think he is the best player in the draft.

Other reasons was that I think Bosa is capable of being kicked inside to a 3-tech position on certain plays, and that Bosa is more different from Chandler Jones than Josh Allen is, and thus it might bring a more varied pass rush this way.

I rejected Williams by a hair’s breadth because he only played at Alabama for two years, and only at this high level for one. I understand that there are probably good reasons for that, but I thought it was enough to rate him below Bosa.

Second round

I quickly decided that I wanted to use the selection, so I didn’t try to trade it. The Jaguars offered me their #38 and #109 (fourth round) for my #33 and #174 (first sixth round), but I rejected.

On the board, I really liked players such as wide receiver Deboo Samuel, safety Darnell Savage and offensive lineman Eric McCoy, but in reality, this was an easy choice.

Second round pick – A. J. Brown, wide receiver, Ole Miss

A three year key player at a big SEC school, I have Brown ranked in 1B (the middle part of the first round) as my #1 wide receiver, and he was the last player on the board that I had ranked in the first round.

He has shown for several years that he is a great receiver that can be effective both as a safety blanket, as a deep threat and as anything in between, and if anyone had any doubt about his speed, he proved them wrong at the Scouting Combine.

He reminds me of a faster version of Anquan Boldin.

Third round

The Colts offered me their #89 and #109 (late third- and early fourth round pick), but I didn’t want to trade back that far, so I rejected.

Safety Johnathan Abram, defensive lineman Zach Allen and wide receiver Riley Ridley was in play.

Third round pick – Kaden Smith, tight end, Stanford

I probably have higher thoughts about Smith than most, but I see him as a second round value, and he somewhat reminds me of Stanford’s former tight end, Zach Ertz. Smith has exceptional body control, and he wins many contested catches. He is very good at finding the soft spots against zone coverages, and he is usually a reliable safety blanket. Blocking is not his strength, but he can do it averagely.

I have hopes for Ricky Seals-Jones in Kingsbury’s offense, but he is basically only a big wide receiver and not a real tight end, and behind him there is almost no quality depth.

Fourth round

The Raiders wanted this pick, and they offered me their #112 and #228 (fourth- and seventh round pick), but I knew who I wanted, so I rejected.

There were other players I found interesting, but I thought I might be able to get them later.

Fourth round pick – Terronne Prescod, offensive guard, N.C. State

I have Prescod ranked in 2C.

So, if I am willing to pick Prescod in the second round, why didn’t I take him with the first pick in the third round? Well, for two reason with the one being that I thought a tight end was more important, and the other (and probably most important) being that I didn’t know him by then. The thing with a mock draft like this is that it takes place over several weeks, so there’s a lot of time between the picks to do more research on more players.

Prescod is a very strong guy who rarely gets pushed backwards and is a force in the run game. He also has good technique. I don’t understand why he flies so much under the radar with most people, but I think it might be because people are looking at center Garrett Bradbury right next to him.

I obviously know they just signed Max Garcia, but if the last couple of seasons has taught us anything it is that you can never have too much depth at the offensive line.

Fifth round

When it was about time for my pick, I really thought I would get Darius Slayton, the wide receiver out of Auburn. I think he is underrated, and his extreme speed could make him a big asset in an offense that lacks a true deep threat. He was picked one spot ahead of me, so even though I immediately tried to trade back, it was too late.

Fifth round pick – Iman Lewis-Marshall, defensive back, USC

So, in the end I picked the guy I would have picked a bit later, if I had managed to trade back.

A four year starter at a major school, and a guy who consistently has become better for each year. He is not the fastest guy, but he makes up for it with good technique. It is, for example, very rare to see a cornerback backpedal that long before he turns and run with the receiver, because he are reading the quarterback in an attempt to react faster than others.

His speed might become an issue, but I definitely believe he could thrive in a safety-role with his skillset if needed.

I would personally want them to bring back Tre Boston, but even if they do that, they need more defensive backs. This pick was made before they signed Brock, but I don’t think he is a lock to make the final roster at all.

Sixth round

I tried like crazy to trade back into the fifth round, because I was sure my guy was going to get picked before it was my turn.

1st sixth round pick – Hunter Renfrow, wide receiver, Clemson

I was lucky enough that he fell to me. He is probably my favorite player in the entire draft, and it does not have much to do with him being a great prospect. In fact, he is not fast, he is not tall, and he is not strong.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Renfrow was a walk-on at Clemsom, yet threw his four years at the school, he ended up playing the most game of any wide receiver in school history – and that’s even though they have had studs like DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins and Mike Williams only to name some in recent years. Renfrow is extremely well-liked, and actually, he was voted permanent captain with the team.

They call him a third down machine because he very often make clutch catches to convert third downs. He has glue on his hands, and he runs very good routes.

I would definitely not bet against this guy becoming productive in the NFL.

2nd sixth round pick – Terry Beckner, defensive tackle, Missouri

It came down to Beckner or wide receiver Gary Jennings out of West Virginia, but I don’t like the lack of quality depth at the defensive line.

Beckner was very highly recruited out of high school, but has never quite lived up to it, largely because of two season ending injuries as a freshman and a sophomore. Since then he has showed flashes of pure brilliancy, but there are way too far between those moments.

Still, a four year key player at an SEC school who are very strong and athletic, and who can play defensive tackle in nickel defense, and defensive end in base defense, seems like a good sixth round pick to me.

Seventh round

This is obviously a “developmental round”, but I do want to note that players are now – and has been for a number of years - that well-educated, both academically and athletically, from schools that these picks are not just like throwing darts. They have always mattered, but nowadays you can have legitimate expectations that the selected players can contribute to your team.

I hoped the cornerback from South Dakota State, Jordan Brown, cornerback Saivion Smith from Alabama or the linebacker Bobby Okereke from Stanford would be available, but I knew it was a very long shot, and sure enough they were all picked in the sixth round – and in Brown’s case, only a few picks after my selection of Beckner. Anyway, I still knew which three players I wanted, so I didn’t try to trade up to target someone.

1st seventh round pick – Alex Wesley, wide receiver, Northern Colorado

I am fascinated by Wesley. He can really, really move, but he is more than just a deep threat. I wouldn’t call him a possession receiver, but he does have some of that short- to intermediate over-the-middle-traits.

2nd seventh round pick – Kyle Phillips, defensive lineman, Tennessee

Phillips came to Tennessee as a highly rated recruit out of high school, but for several reasons he never got his big breakthrough there. He ended up being used as both an edge rusher and a defensive tackle, and I actually thought he was good at both. I think he can be a very good 5-technique – which is a defensive end in an odd front – but one that doesn’t has to leave the field when they go to their nickel defense.

3rd seventh round pick – Devon Johnson, offensive tackle, Ferris State

With the Mr. Irrelevant-pick I choose what I think is a great developmental project. Johnson is a huge, huge man, and since he played at a low level in college, his sheer size was enough to win his matchups – I don’t know how many pancake blocks he made, but it was a lot. I watched the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, and there he showed that he’s not just a big man, but that he can actually move and use his enormous wingspan.

------------------------

I was happy when the game was over. I know it is debatable if it was a smart thing to draft four receivers, two offensive linemen and three defensive linemen, but I think those spots are easily the most exposed, both in terms of level and quality depth. That said, I didn’t plan to do it that way. It was just how the board fell.

Looking back, if there was one thing I could do otherwise, it would probably be to draft linebacker Bobby Okereke or cornerback Jordan Brown over defensive tackle Terry Beckner, but then again, I do think Beckner can be really, really good if he puts it all together, and like I said, I have him ranked higher than both Okereke and Brown, who I was hoping would be available in the seventh round. I also made the pick before they re-signed Gunter, but I don’t think it changes much. 1, they still don’t have much of any competition in the unit. 2, I would think this is Nkemdiche’s last chance (though I have said that before). 3, Gunter is on a one year contract.

What do you guys think?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have taken the Colts trade offer. The Jags' offer was a good one too. You don't move down that far and move up into the 4th. You still would have gotten Brown and another 4th round pick at the expense of a 6th. Not a bad deal at all.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Renfrow's knock is not size as much as his lack of speed for his size, but a good route runner and can catch which goes a long way

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
In the end, Billy Davis doesn’t call the shots, Keim does and he’ll listen to everyone’s opinion, but I don’t think that’s ever happened...hehe

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
3rd round you gotta go OL there. There is going to be a good one. Don't know anything about Prescod however. I go TE there in the 4th as there should be many quality ones left including possibly Caleb Wilson or the other Cal TE's.

Solid reasoning though. It would be a great haul of talent, as it should be this year.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would have taken the Colts trade offer. The Jags' offer was a good one too. You don't move down that far and move up into the 4th. You still would have gotten Brown and another 4th round pick at the expense of a 6th. Not a bad deal at all.

Huh? How do you know I would still have gotten Brown? Like I said, he is my #1 ranked wide receiver, and he was the last player on the board I have rated in the first round, so obviously, I did not believe he would last five picks.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
3rd round you gotta go OL there. There is going to be a good one. Don't know anything about Prescod however. I go TE there in the 4th as there should be many quality ones left including possibly Caleb Wilson or the other Cal TE's.

Solid reasoning though. It would be a great haul of talent, as it should be this year.

That’s an idea, Wild. I did consider Tytus Howard out of Alabama State, but I have both Smith and Prescod rated over him.

I should have linked to the whole mock draft. I am sorry about that. You can click here to see it.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh? How do you know I would still have gotten Brown? Like I said, he is my #1 ranked wide receiver, and he was the last player on the board I have rated in the first round, so obviously, I did not believe he would last five picks.
How do you know he wouldn't be? You can't claim your choices are 100% and someone else's are 100% wrong. That's why it's called a mock.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you want to stick with Rosen, then concentrate on building up the defense in this Draft, by going Edge, CB, DT and LB with our first four picks. If Rosen, with an improved OL, shows that he can run KK's offense, then next year go offense at the top of the Draft. If not get a QB like Tua. This year KK says that the WR pool is deep and we should be able to draft one, or two, later in the Draft. JMO.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I would have taken the third round trade offer in a minute. With as many holes the Cardinals need to fill they need all the picks that they can get. I would have considered the 2nd round one as well.

You nailed the 1st round pick! :clapping:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Very nice mock, I like a lot of the players you are taking (Bosa, Brown, Smith Prescod). My one issue, is that trade down offer is definitely enticing. This draft as a lot of good players in the mid-first round all the way through the third round. Trade down and take Brian Burns, who will be a really good pass rusher in his own right. Burns doesn't have the overall game that Bosa has, but I think he's going to produce more sacks and he takes over Suggs position next year. While the Cardinals have Jones under contract for a few more years, they need to start planning on what to do with Jones for his next contract. He might not be worth it.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How do you know he wouldn't be? You can't claim your choices are 100% and someone else's are 100% wrong. That's why it's called a mock.

I still don’t understand. Of course I can’t be completely certain that he would be gone, because drafting is not an exact science. That was why I argued that your claim that I could get Brown later was wrong. You can only go by what you believe, and I believe Brown would be gone. That was why I did not accept the offer.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you want to stick with Rosen, then concentrate on building up the defense in this Draft, by going Edge, CB, DT and LB with our first four picks. If Rosen, with an improved OL, shows that he can run KK's offense, then next year go offense at the top of the Draft. If not get a QB like Tua. This year KK says that the WR pool is deep and we should be able to draft one, or two, later in the Draft. JMO.

I don’t know, Garth. I don’t know that the offensive line is that improved? And if Rosen again doesn’t have anyone to throw to, how would he be any better? Relying solely on Kingsbury to make the offense effective is a lot to hope for.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Very nice mock, I like a lot of the players you are taking (Bosa, Brown, Smith Prescod). My one issue, is that trade down offer is definitely enticing. This draft as a lot of good players in the mid-first round all the way through the third round. Trade down and take Brian Burns, who will be a really good pass rusher in his own right. Burns doesn't have the overall game that Bosa has, but I think he's going to produce more sacks and he takes over Suggs position next year. While the Cardinals have Jones under contract for a few more years, they need to start planning on what to do with Jones for his next contract. He might not be worth it.

Well, Krang, I think the Dolphins´ offer was not anywhere close to being acceptable, and while I do like the idea of trading down, I am not willing to do it just for the sake of getting more picks. To me, the draft is about value, and if I am going to trade down, I want adequate value. In this game, only the Raiders and Giants would be able to make me a good enough offer, and I am inclined to think it should be that in the real draft as well. There’s always the option of including players in a trade offer, but other than that I don’t know that I think anyone would be able to pay the prize.

I think my view is based on the notion that the Cardinals are a bad team, and that they need quality help in a lot of places. I would be hesitant to pass on really, really good players in the hope that you could get equal value at other draft spots.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, great job as GM. My point was that we can't go from worst to first in one year, but maybe in two. Since you went defense with your first pick, I figure we should build up that side first. JMO, but Hicks, Alford and that DT (I forget his name) seem like solid additions to our "D", and by adding four top draft picks, I expect that we'd have a VG defense. Granted the offense will lag, but Rosen's year of experience should help. And if KK is correct about the WR pool, we might steal one late. Again, great job.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, Krang, I think the Dolphins´ offer was not anywhere close to being acceptable, and while I do like the idea of trading down, I am not willing to do it just for the sake of getting more picks. To me, the draft is about value, and if I am going to trade down, I want adequate value. In this game, only the Raiders and Giants would be able to make me a good enough offer, and I am inclined to think it should be that in the real draft as well. There’s always the option of including players in a trade offer, but other than that I don’t know that I think anyone would be able to pay the prize.

I think my view is based on the notion that the Cardinals are a bad team, and that they need quality help in a lot of places. I would be hesitant to pass on really, really good players in the hope that you could get equal value at other draft spots.

Where we differ is that I think the talent in the mid-first round ISN'T that huge of a drop off. There are good players there, and getting more choices means you can get more of these solid players.

If you told me I could get Brian Burns and Chris Lindstrom or Nick Bosa, I definitely choose the first choice.

UK Cardinal

Reaction score
Sixth round

I tried like crazy to trade back into the fifth round, because I was sure my guy was going to get picked before it was my turn.

1st sixth round pick – Hunter Renfrow, wide receiver, Clemson

I was lucky enough that he fell to me. He is probably my favorite player in the entire draft, and it does not have much to do with him being a great prospect. In fact, he is not fast, he is not tall, and he is not strong.

Finally someone else showing him some love! But honestly don't think he will be there in the 6th round.

I don't think many fans are talking about him but the teams all know what he's accomplished.

4th to early 5th would be my guess

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, great job as GM. My point was that we can't go from worst to first in one year, but maybe in two. Since you went defense with your first pick, I figure we should build up that side first. JMO, but Hicks, Alford and that DT (I forget his name) seem like solid additions to our "D", and by adding four top draft picks, I expect that we'd have a VG defense. Granted the offense will lag, but Rosen's year of experience should help. And if KK is correct about the WR pool, we might steal one late. Again, great job.

I completely understand your view, Garth. I have always been a defense-first guy, and I won’t ever say no to adding great defensive players. A stud edge rusher, a very good defensive tackle and maybe a very good defensive back or two, and this defense could be dominant. It would also create more quality depth.

I think you are very right that Rosen’s experience and Kingsbury’s system alone should upgrade the offense a lot. That is, of course, if they don’t go with Kyler Murray.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Where we differ is that I think the talent in the mid-first round ISN'T that huge of a drop off. There are good players there, and getting more choices means you can get more of these solid players.

If you told me I could get Brian Burns and Chris Lindstrom or Nick Bosa, I definitely choose the first choice.

No, I understand and agree that the level in the mid-tier is not that much worse, but to me it’s just that the Cards need the best players they can get, so unless it’s only a small trade down, I am not willing to do it. Even that little drop-off is enough for me.

Personally, I wouldn’t take Burns in the first round, but let’s just say they could get Bosa, Allen or Williams or they could get a slightly lesser talent along with one or two more picks, I would take the better player.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Finally someone else showing him some love! But honestly don't think he will be there in the 6th round.

I don't think many fans are talking about him but the teams all know what he's accomplished.

4th to early 5th would be my guess

I don’t think he will be there either, UK. I think he’s great, and I would be so happy if the Cards drafted him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No, I understand and agree that the level in the mid-tier is not that much worse, but to me it’s just that the Cards need the best players they can get, so unless it’s only a small trade down, I am not willing to do it. Even that little drop-off is enough for me.

Personally, I wouldn’t take Burns in the first round, but let’s just say they could get Bosa, Allen or Williams or they could get a slightly lesser talent along with one or two more picks, I would take the better player.

I think Burns might actually go top ten. He has some of the most advanced pass rush moves in the draft and he has that true bend that great pass rushers generally have.

He weighed in at the combine at 250 and still ran fast. His issue is that I dont think he's a good fit at all as a 4-3 end, he's really well suited the be a 3-4 backer.

Great fit opposite Jones, since he's a speed guy to Jones being a power guy.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Burns might actually go top ten. He has some of the most advanced pass rush moves in the draft and he has that true bend that great pass rushers generally have.

He weighed in at the combine at 250 and still ran fast. His issue is that I dont think he's a good fit at all as a 4-3 end, he's really well suited the be a 3-4 backer.

Great fit opposite Jones, since he's a speed guy to Jones being a power guy.

Well, my assessment of Burns is that he has all the tools but very limited technique, and overall knowledge of how to use those tools. I could also see him go top 10, or at the very least in the first round, but I wouldn’t do it.

I was wondering, one “trade down” scenario could be taking Murray and selling Rosen for a first round pick. Would you be okay with that? I think I maybe would. Whatever you think of Murray (and believe me, I don’t have high hopes that he will survive in the NFL), it’s hard to deny that he is an exiting player, and that it would possible be very fun to see the Cardinals with him at the helm. However, I think he is extremely fortunate to play behind that offensive line at Oklahoma. Very rarely did he get touched or even pressured. Which is where my point comes in. What about taking Murray #1, sell Rosen and pick up maybe Lindstrom, Bradbury or another offensive lineman in the middle of round one?

Just to be clear, I don’t want the mentioned scenario to happen, but maybe it could be an option.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still don’t understand. Of course I can’t be completely certain that he would be gone, because drafting is not an exact science. That was why I argued that your claim that I could get Brown later was wrong. You can only go by what you believe, and I believe Brown would be gone. That was why I did not accept the offer.
I'm not disagreeing with you per se. my motives are that this team has more holes than Augusta and it would be worth it to move back a bit to get another higher pick. There is still value there and according to Walter Football, Samuel is there in that slot so you're still getting a very good WR at 38. That's what makes making that trade a good one for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose