NCAA Tourney: Arizona State vs St. John's

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Dayton, Wednesday approx 6:10 PM

Match up of teams coached by former college basketball stars (Bobby Hurley and Chris Mullen)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This will be a tough one.

It shouldn't be... The Johnny's are not a tall team... Their tallest players are the three 6'9" guys if which 2 are freshman and 1 is a sophomore.
Other than Ponds, they don't shoot particularly well and their leading rebounder is a guard (Figueroa).

Ideally, Remy could sit out most, if not all of this game and the Devils march on with an easy W. Though, this is ASU and I'm sure this will be a nail-biter, overtime battle requiring Remy to give significant minutes... :(

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It shouldn't be... The Johnny's are not a tall team... Their tallest players are the three 6'9" guys if which 2 are freshman and 1 is a sophomore.
Other than Ponds, they don't shoot particularly well and their leading rebounder is a guard (Figueroa).

Ideally, Remy could sit out most, if not all of this game and the Devils march on with an easy W. Though, this is ASU and I'm sure this will be a nail-biter, overtime battle requiring Remy to give significant minutes... :(
You obviously haven’t watched St Johns play. I’m a Georgetown alum. I’ve watched the Johnnies this year. They can play up and down but they’re a handful. And Ponds is for real. This will most assuredly not be “an easy W.” If Remy rests the devils will lose.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You obviously haven’t watched St Johns play. I’m a Georgetown alum. I’ve watched the Johnnies this year. They can play up and down but they’re a handful. And Ponds is for real. This will most assuredly not be “an easy W.” If Remy rests the devils will lose.

I won't bore you with where I am from and where all my friends and family still live. Suffice to say, I have as good, if not better line on the Redmen than a Georgetown alum...
Anyway, yes, Ponds is for real and I believe he will be playing in the NBA.
They beat Cal by 3... we beat Cal by 26 and again by 10.
St. John's has a ton of double-digit losses... a bunch of them 15 point or more losses.

I said this game would be close... even though it shouldn't be. By all things equal, ASU "should" win this game easily. But again, they are the Devils and will likely take this game to overtime...and that's with or without Remy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dort took a hard fall to open the 2nd half where his legs were taken out.

A flagrant 1 was called. He is on the bench. Hopefully he is all right.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Devils playing sloppy now...but still up by 9. Team needs to get some composure here, or they'll be screwed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devils have had trouble with St. Johnson's pressure but luckily the Red storm have missed a lot of easy shots and free throws.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

ASU 74 - St. Johns 65

Big win for Sun Devils in NCAA Tournament.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the last time ASU won in the NCAA Tournament was 2009.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buffalo is the next opponent.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Like I said...this should've been a relatively easy win... and, if it ended at the half that's what it would've been. But, in true ASU form, they allowed St John's back into the game and made it way closer than it should be, actually sweating it out most of the latter part of the second half.
Remy is clearly hampered by his ailing groin. But if they play anywhere close to their second half performance, against Buffalo, they will get destroyed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good win. Hearing lots of noise that Buffalo is supposed to be a much better team. I don’t know enough about them other than the fact they’ve been in the tourney recently. Hoping for more success.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday Arizona State (11) faces Buffalo (6) at 12:50 p.m. Arizona time. It will be televised on TNT.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
CBS is reporting that Chris Mullin won't be the coach at St John any longer and that Hurley is their top target to replace him.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
There is substance to the Hurley to St Johns rumor. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s the guy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave