Murray rumors again........?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pick Six Podcast: Why Cardinals are moving away from taking Kyler Murray No. 1 overall, might go with surprising choice
  • By Will Brinson
  • Apr 5, 2019 at 12:39 pm ET • 2 min read
It has become draft fact that the Arizona Cardinals will select Kyler Murray with the No. 1 overall pick and just figure things out later when it comes to how they'll handle Josh Rosen and possibly trading the quarterback they took with a top-10 pick last year.

Not so fast my friends. CBS Sports Senior NFL Writer Pete Prisco joined me on the Pick Six Podcast Friday and told me the latest buzz out of Arizona has the Cardinals going in a different direction with the first-overall pick.

"I'm starting to get more and more feeling from around people in the know that I don't think it's going to be Murray No. 1 overall," Prisco said.

Essentially, the Cardinals know they can't get a ton of value for Rosen and are not entirely sure that landing Murray will immediately guarantee success for them on the field. In fact, Prisco hears it was primarily an ownership push that caused the Murray-to-the-Cards rumors to really pop up in heated fashion. The belief is Murray could be for the Cardinals what Baker Mayfield was for the Browns, an injection of life into a currently moribund franchise, a guy who can crank up ticket sales and get people excited about the upcoming season.

According to Prisco, the feedback received with the trial balloon wasn't that great, which could have the Cardinals going in a different direction with their top pick.

Even that selection might not be a layup -- Prisco is penciling in Quinnen Williams to Arizona in his most recent mock.

"I'm doing my latest mock draft and I've got Quinnen Williams going No. 1 overall," Prisco continued. "I think it's going to come down between Quinnen Williams and Nick Bosa."

Two things here. One, if the Cardinals indeed do go in a difference direction than quarterback, it shows they believe in Josh Rosen and it means they were just smokescreening us all along. It also means we can stop talking about Josh Rosen trade rumors (he'll reportedly participate in Cardinals offseason activities).

There's a long way until the draft, but the blind assumption that the Cardinals would take Murray -- just one year after we completely ignored the idea the Browns would take Baker Mayfield -- might have gotten a little out of control.

Two, how far could Murray fall if the Cardinals don't take him first? Barring a trade, he won't go second or third. The Raiders could absolutely take him fourth overall and it would be some CRAZY drama if Jon Gruden was on the clock planning to take a defensive player then saw Murray drop into his lap.

The Giants could take Murray, but does anyone believe Kyler is the type of quarterback Dave Gettleman will fall in love with? I do not. We could see him slip out of the top 10. It's not likely, but it's certainly possible.

In other words, there's drama yet to unfold in this draft. For all the latest news and notes make sure to subscribe to the Pick Six Podcast and get a daily dose of NFL delivered right to your podcast inbox.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
LOL

What of we draft Bosa or Q and Murray falls to 15 or 17, where we draft him after trading Rosen for that pick. That would be a new twist. :)

The Giants could take Murray, but does anyone believe Kyler is the type of quarterback Dave Gettleman will fall in love with? I do not. We could see him slip out of the top 10. It's not likely, but it's certainly possible.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
A lot more counter intelligence coming out quickly. Rosen reporting to camp and now this article combined with Schefter saying the Cards haven't shopped Rosen.

This may be last minute leverage in a trade to get that #1 pick or the beginning of the end of Murray to Cards.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Or could it just be that the MEDIA made all this is up and the Cards had already decided back in Feb who they were gonna pick...lol

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LOL

What of we draft Bosa or Q and Murray falls to 15 or 17, where we draft him after trading Rosen for that pick. That would be a new twist. :)
I've been thinking about that scenario myself. Murray may indeed fall that far, then it will be up to the Redskins to pull a trade for Rosen & they indeed draft Murray. I hope we keep Rosen, I still think he can be a good QB with a good amount of time to throw. He may have just been a little gun shy when he threw the ball badly fearing getting hit blindside at any time? This whole thing is getting interesting though for sure.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
if the Prisco stuff is accurate (a giant IF)

man, what a depressing picture of the front office

instead of being these masters of misdirection with a grand plan in mind, known only to them.......

it sounds like they are making it up as they go along. Good grief.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if the Prisco stuff is accurate (a giant IF)

man, what a depressing picture of the front office

instead of being these masters of misdirection with a grand plan in mind, known only to them.......

it sounds like they are making it up as they go along. Good grief.
Agreed. In a previous thread we discussed a similar issue...and I think that would be the worst sign of all. A completely incohesive front office that just has zero plan and flies by their seat. Then in all reality, Rosen vs Murray would be the least of our issues.imo

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed. In a previous thread we discussed a similar issue...and I think that would be the worst sign of all. A completely incohesive front office that just has zero plan and flies by their seat. Then in all reality, Rosen vs Murray would be the least of our issues.imo
They hired a good DC who is bringing us back to the 3/4 defense we are used to. Went out & got some players for that side of the ball. Added some pieces to a shaky OL (although RT is injury prone) hired a HC who knows how to score points & attack a defense, even if it was at the college level. #11 is coming back. Hired 2 of the best RB's & OL coaches in the NFL. They have the #1 pick along with 9-10 more picks. Rosen or Murray (I really wanna keep Rosen) I'm excited. I hope SK & MB don't screw this draft up yes but I like what they've done so far & it isn't over yet. Nothing could be worse than last season.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They hired a good DC who is bringing us back to the 3/4 defense we are used to. Went out & got some players for that side of the ball. Added some pieces to a shaky OL (although RT is injury prone) hired a HC who knows how to score points & attack a defense, even if it was at the college level. #11 is coming back. Hired 2 of the best RB's & OL coaches in the NFL. They have the #1 pick along with 9-10 more picks. Rosen or Murray (I really wanna keep Rosen) I'm excited. I hope SK & MB don't screw this draft up yes but I like what they've done so far & it isn't over yet. Nothing could be worse than last season.
Agree as well.. maybe the whole PP21 ordeal woke em up a bit. Never know..but that could have been a reality check for the front office.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree as well.. maybe the whole PP21 ordeal woke em up a bit. Never know..but that could have been a reality check for the front office.
I'm glad he did that. We saw as fans after the first game Wilks was in over his head & not a good head coach. PP21 probably knew it before the first snap.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
"Even that selection might not be a layup -- Prisco is penciling in Quinnen Williams to Arizona in his most recent mock."

Yes! Guy is a quick freak at his size! PLEASE!