Decisions?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
2019 NFL Draft: Cardinals coach adds more mystery to what Arizona might do with the top pick
  • By John Breech
  • Mar 24, 2019 at 1:00 pm ET • 2 min read
If you're looking for any hints on what the Cardinals might do with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft this year, don't look to Kliff Kingsbury, because he's definitely not offering any.

Over the past month, the Cardinals new coach has been as vague as possible about what his team might do with the top pick and those vague comments continued over the weekend during an interview with NFL.com.

Will the Cardinals select Kyler Murray? Will they trade away Josh Rosen? Will they trade out of the top spot?

Kingsbury offered zero hints.

"I think everything's on the table," Kingsbury said. "When you have that first pick, you've gotta turn over every stone and look at every scenario that's out there, and so we're definitely doing that."

The Cardinals have definitely been turning over every stone when it comes to Murray. Not only did they meet with him individuallyat the NFL Combine, but they had a private meeting with him following his Pro Day at Oklahoma on March 14. Also, let's not forget about the fact that back in October, the then Texas Tech coach said he would select Murray if he were an NFL coach and had the No. 1 overall pick.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean the Cards plan to select Murray and that's because the Cardinals coach has also hinted that his team might keep Josh Rosen. Kingsbury has gone on the record multiple times this offseasonsaying that the team is committed to Rosen for now, and Kingsbury re-affirmed those feelings over the weekend.

"I do [think Rosen could remain with the team]. I do," Kingsbury said. "I mean, when you have the first pick, anything can happen, as you know, but you know, he's a talented player, and we're very high on him and that hasn't changed."

On the other hand, Kingsbury also left the door slightly open for a possible Rosen trade.

"I've talked to Josh and he understands it's a business and what all goes with the first pick and what's going on," the coach said.

With more than a month to go until the draft, there's also the possibility that the Cardinals just aren't sure what they're going to do with the pick yet, which Kingsbury pointed out during his interview with NFL.com.

"We haven't [decided what we're going to do with the top pick]. We haven't. We're a long ways from that," Kingsbury said. "You know, coaches on the road, scouts from the road, private workouts, pro days. And we won't even discuss until next week and try to fill our board and go from there."

Of course, it's possible they know exactly what they're going to do and what you just read is the first-year NFL coach throwing out draft smokescreens like a grizzled veteran.

If the Cardinals do end up trading Rosen and drafting Murray, they'd become the first team since the 1982-83 Baltimore Colts to use a first-round pick on a quarterback in consecutive drafts.

If you're wondering where Murray might end up, make sure to check out our mock draft page here at CBSSports.com. Of our six writers, all six of them have Murray going with the top pick, but only four of them have him going to the Cardinals. To find out where the other two writers have Murray going, make sure to click here.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just saw that..and I have to say, his overall tone and demeanor doesn't seem to support the keeping of Rosen. Of course, this is just my perception. But, it's like the "right now"stuff with Keim. You just don't do that with a young QB you drafted last year to be your qbotf. Imo Of course, the flip side to all this is that it is leveraging to get the most potential offers on the table from QB needy teams. We shall see

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just saw that..and I have to say, his overall tone and demeanor doesn't seem to support the keeping of Rosen. Of course, this is just my perception. But, it's like the "right now"stuff with Keim. You just don't do that with a young QB you drafted last year to be your qbotf. Imo Of course, the flip side to all this is that it is leveraging to get the most potential offers on the table from QB needy teams. We shall see

I have to agree. As much as I don't want them to go in that direction I am beginning to believe the only question left to answer is what do we get for Rosen. Just these comments alone would piss me off if I was Rosen.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to agree. As much as I don't want them to go in that direction I am beginning to believe the only question left to answer is what do we get for Rosen. Just these comments alone would piss me off if I was Rosen.
I'll be honest.. perception again, but I think all this was a forgone conclusion. I truly believe Kingsbury wouldn't even be our head coach right now if he had to work with Rosen. I think it was all set up well in advance and he made his case about a package deal. Any coincidence Kyler declared the next day? I don't believe in those...annnnywho, total speculation, obviously. But if true, would make ya appreciate the planning of something so intricate by our front office. Lol

But I agree as well about Rosen. Regardless of the whole business spin, he doesn't seem like a dude that would handle this well. At all....and I get it. I would be a little bummed as well.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who knows, maybe they've already informed Rosen he will be traded? Then again maybe not, inside info today gets leaked rather quickly. From the looks of things I would say Rosen will be traded, if they keep him then the cardinals put up the best smokescreen ever?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who knows, maybe they've already informed Rosen he will be traded? Then again maybe not, inside info today gets leaked rather quickly. From the looks of things I would say Rosen will be traded, if they keep him then the cardinals put up the best smokescreen ever?
I think that's the biggest argument against it being a smokescreen. Why put your qbotf through this? Business decision be damned. This guy isn't a 30 something yr old vet..he is a young guy that needs to be supported. This isnt how you do that. Jmo

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny thing is if we stay at one and take Bosa we could be handing the 49ers a kings ransom by somebody trading up for Murray.

Really!

Name the teams, as I've yet to hear of any at the top of the draft with an interest, let alone a willingness to pay a premium?

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that's the biggest argument against it being a smokescreen. Why put your qbotf through this? Business decision be damned. This guy isn't a 30 something yr old vet..he is a young guy that needs to be supported. This isnt how you do that. Jmo
Murray may indeed end up being a star & we'll all be glad the cardinals got this right? Too big of a chance to take imo, simply keep Rosen, give him better protection & receivers & see what happens. Either take Bosa or trade down for more picks. We all want the cardinals to be good next season, closest path to that imo is more talent so acquire picks.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get a feeling that is exactly what teams would be thinking. If Murray doesn't go 1, teams who want him would be nervous about the raiders.

Why worry?

Oakland, with all of 12 sacks last season, desperately needs a pass rusher.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really!

Name the teams, as I've yet to hear of any at the top of the draft with an interest, let alone a willingness to pay a premium?
You are less likely to show your hand whatsoever if you aren't in the driver seat, like the Cardinals are. Doesn't make much sense to come out and openly want a certain QB if you are out of the top 5-10 picks. Regardless, Murray and Haskins would require that premium. IMO of course

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get a feeling that is exactly what teams would be thinking. If Murray doesn't go 1, teams who want him would be nervous about the raiders.
Then the raiders would have little time to put up a smokescreen, around 30 minutes. That is if they do not want Murray?
Why worry?

Oakland, with all of 12 sacks last season, desperately needs a pass rusher.
Allen & Bosa would be gone at that point, who's left as an elite pass rusher?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are less likely to show your hand whatsoever if you aren't in the driver seat, like the Cardinals are. Doesn't make much sense to come out and openly want a certain QB if you are out of the top 5-10 picks. Regardless, Murray and Haskins would require that premium. IMO of course

In all likelihood, NY gets Haskins by simply staying put

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Josh is a big boy and a professional. Between the terrible rookie year and all the Kyler hype it should all be plenty humbling for him.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Either way you look at it, whether we are playing a masterful game of 3D chess -or- we are eating glue while playing checkers, the net result is NOBODY knows what we are doing...

This HAS to be unsettling to the teams with QB needs in a very sparse class...The next month should be fun to watch!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really!

redskins dolphins giants . At this point why would anybody interested in Murray tip their hand. Add that to the fact that the minute the cards passed on Murray
It could change those teams minds.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Actually the raiders wouldn't need to put up a smokescreen if they truly didn't want Murray, that would only help the 49ers.
If we don’t take Murray any team that really wants Murray could trade up with the 49ers to guarantee they get him.
They could yes but why do that if the raiders aren't interested in Murray? We know the 49ers & Jets aren't.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we don’t take Murray any team that really wants Murray could trade up with the 49ers to guarantee they get him.

Who are those teams?

KM has been associated with two teams : The Cards and Miami, if he slips to #13. Given this, there is no need to pay a heavy premium to move up.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh is a big boy and a professional. Between the terrible rookie year and all the Kyler hype it should all be plenty humbling for him.
Imo, we are only big boys and professionals to a certain extent at his age. Some more than others... With time comes maturity. Jmo. But, this will be an experience for Josh to learn from. No question. My point was to show it from the teams perspective and that's its not a vote of confidence in the direction of keeping him over drafting Murray.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the raiders wouldn't need to put up a smokescreen if they truly didn't want Murray, that would only help the 49ers.

They could yes but why do that if the raiders aren't interested in Murray? We know the 49ers & Jets aren't.
Because if you are the Redskins for instance they couldn’t sit and wait until their pick came along to get Murray. They are the perfect team to jump off script to move up to two to get him. They have a small fortune invested in smith who may never play again and are volatile enough to make the move. Every team has a player board. Murray might be #1 on their board but are assuming he won’t be available because it appears we are taking him. The instant we pass on Murray everything is going to go crazy....if we pass on Murray.