I do not like how our OL is shaping up so far

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Just in case Keim comes on here or even cares about our forum. Depth guys and injured guys with the moxie of OL men which is 'nasty' does not cut it for me. Granted there are not many top of the line free agents, so then you better trade and maybe do better than the RT from Pittsburgh. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but this looks like the same damn approach as the last couple of years of OL ineptitude. It's not a freaking question of has DJ lost his burst or intensity, or will we draft Murray or stick with Rosen, but the freaking line. Yes, we got Cole in the draft but everyone else is a availability question mark except for a journeyman named JR Sweezy from the less than stellar Seahawk OL which has taught Wilson how to run... just hoping these recent moves are Kugler's with a open say and not Keim giving in to only the bargain basement options he might suggest

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I have to disagree. While the injury question is always there we haven’t overpaid on anything. Did you want Trent brown for what the raiders paid? Excluding the draft the line still has the POTENTIAL to move back to middle of the pack. Injuries can happen to any player, any time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know what you were really expecting. Pugh wasn't going anywhere. Cole wasn't going anywhere. Humphries wasn't going anywhere. That is three of 5 spots. We signed Max Garcia and JR Sweezy, and traded for Marcus Gilbert. We added three vet players who all have had decent seasons in their playing history. We still have the draft. If we don't add a player there, feel free to bump this thread.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The more things change the more they remain the same.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know what you were really expecting. Pugh wasn't going anywhere. Cole wasn't going anywhere. Humphries wasn't going anywhere. That is three of 5 spots. We signed Max Garcia and JR Sweezy, and traded for Marcus Gilbert. We added three vet players who all have had decent seasons in their playing history. We still have the draft. If we don't add a player there, feel free to bump this thread.

Yes, to me things can only improve. Cole should be stronger in his second year, if Pugh is moved to the left side that could help him. Gilbert has always been a better right tackle than Andre smith. Humphries is a mixed bag but IMO better than Levi Brown ever was.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score

You are absolutely right about where else can we go and I am just frustrated by this restrictive space it seems to get any better but it's like I have a feeling Pugh and Humphries are going somewhere and that is on the IR by mid season. I do not think it would shock anybody if Gilbert got hurt or Garcia ... and I do like Humprhies a lot when he is playing lol

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Are we rolling the dice on these guys staying healthy, yes, but who isn’t. No guarantees at all. Still need two OL in the draft, but glad we didn’t break the bank signing some players for huge contracts.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the best teams have many lower round draft picks or undrafted guys on their offensive line. OL players aren't usually well known to fans. You actually hope NOT to hear their names on game day.

Hopefully with some of these guys it has been coaching or conditioning in the past. Hard to judge them before they play here as a unit, IMHO.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just in case Keim comes on here or even cares about our forum. Depth guys and injured guys with the moxie of OL men which is 'nasty' does not cut it for me. Granted there are not many top of the line free agents, so then you better trade and maybe do better than the RT from Pittsburgh. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but this looks like the same damn approach as the last couple of years of OL ineptitude. It's not a freaking question of has DJ lost his burst or intensity, or will we draft Murray or stick with Rosen, but the freaking line. Yes, we got Cole in the draft but everyone else is a availability question mark except for a journeyman named JR Sweezy from the less than stellar Seahawk OL which has taught Wilson how to run... just hoping these recent moves are Kugler's with a open say and not Keim giving in to only the bargain basement options he might suggest

I really don’t understand this. You said it right off the bat there’s not a lot of good lineman out there this year. I could pretty much name 2 that I would want and even then THEY HAVE TO WANT TO COME HERE. A lot of things factor into that, comfort, family, money. I know this might be hard for some to understand not every free agent wants to play in Arizona

And as far as trading for 1 name me a great offensive lineman on the block? If I have a really good one why on earth would I trade him?

Be realistic about what this is.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Max Starks said on the radio that the Cardinals took a much smarter approach to the offensive line this free agency.

Kugler is obviously involved in the process. Two of the three guys have played with Kugler and the third is a player the Cardinals have scouted for years.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I really don’t understand this. You said it right off the bat there’s not a lot of good lineman out there this year. I could pretty much name 2 that I would want and even then THEY HAVE TO WANT TO COME HERE. A lot of things factor into that, comfort, family, money. I know this might be hard for some to understand not every free agent wants to play in Arizona

And as far as trading for 1 name me a great offensive lineman on the block? If I have a really good one why on earth would I trade him?

Be realistic about what this is.

I understand that not everyone might want to play for Arizona, or say Buffalo or maybe Cincinnati, that players are actual human beings with families and personal preferences. This is more about the accumulation of what of recent is a bad formula to getting out of this OL hole we are in. Hopefully Humphries stays healthy and we can find more productive guys like Cole and even Korey Cunningham in this coming draft

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Throwing this topic out there with maybe a little more spice than warranted but the focus being on Rosen or Murray is not what's really holding this offense back and no pun intended on holding lol

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't get what there's to complain about here. Reasonable contracts, a solid effort, not a single guy available that's a sure thing.

The more annoying thing would be to blow a 5 year contract on a guy we have to play there, that can't be replaced by a draft pick because of the investment. Like Pugh. I don't hate Pugh at all, but we invested enough in him that he's a fixture on the line for a few more years whether we like it or not.

Same goes for WR.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I have to disagree. While the injury question is always there we haven’t overpaid on anything. Did you want Trent brown for what the raiders paid? Excluding the draft the line still has the POTENTIAL to move back to middle of the pack. Injuries can happen to any player, any time.

Yes. It’s a 2 year guarantee for a franchise tackle. Brown would have been an anchor on this line giving whoever Keim decides to play at quarterback a much greater chance of succeeding. But let’s keep recycling old veterans who’ve been finishing the season on IR hoping they suddenly start staying healthier as they age. That’s such a losing franchise way of thinking. Afraid to spend because you’ve been burned before. Why are people so concerned about spending a billionaires money? God knows he’s got plenty of ours over the years.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yes. It’s a 2 year guarantee for a franchise tackle. Brown would have been an anchor on this line giving whoever Keim decides to play at quarterback a much greater chance of succeeding. But let’s keep recycling old veterans who’ve been finishing the season on IR hoping they suddenly start staying healthier as they age. That’s such a losing franchise way of thinking. Afraid to spend because you’ve been burned before. Why are people so concerned about spending a billionaires money? God knows he’s got plenty of ours over the years.
"Franchise Tackle"

That too is what I call 7th round draft picks that were available for trade, and are now on their third team.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
"Franchise Tackle"

That too is what I call 7th round draft picks that were available for trade, and are now on their third team.

He was fantastic for the Patriots last season. He was very good for the 49’ers. He’s much better than anyone Keim is going to sign or probably draft based on his history this year and he gives either QB a greater chance of success. Brown would be far and away the best lineman on the team.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He was fantastic for the Patriots last season. He was very good for the 49’ers. He’s much better than anyone Keim is going to sign or probably draft based on his history this year and he gives either QB a greater chance of success. Brown would be far and away the best lineman on the team.
He was very good for an overall Super Bowl winning team that didn't leave him out there to dry, and has a QB with one of the fastest releases in the league.

"Franchise" players do not become available for third round picks. They don't get let go into free agency by teams. I'll practically guarantee you that three years down the line we're looking at the guy as a mid-low left tackle option, not a guy that warrants being the highest paid player at his position.