Murray may not run at Pro Day Today (3/13)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So nobody should ever draft a QB over 6’5” then:mrgreen:
So none of the Oklahoma players were remeasured for height at the pro day. That eliminates that whole charade of a “concern” for me. He did what everyone else did.

The sole criticism is not running the 40. It’s not a good look, but I take it with a grain of salt considering that’s not exactly part of his game under scrutiny.

Do any of the other Oklahoma players have any controversy around them in reference to their height?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Do any of the other Oklahoma players have any controversy around them in reference to their height?
I don’t think there’s any “controversy.” He was measured in front of everyone and came in at a short 5’10. He’s short. We know it. Okay. No else remeasured, let it go.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Why should he run the 40? As a QB. A QB who has clearly proven that he is a dynamic dual threat who can make a whole defense miss and accelerate from 0 to 100 almost within a yard. To get a perfect 40 time, you actually need lots of preparation. It's indeed a different science. Some of the most gifted athletes in football didn't run a very good 40. I'm sure Murray's 10 yard split would be amazing, while his short stature would possibly hurt his 40. Not that he will ever have to run 40 yards on a straight line in an actual game.

The preparation time to get your perfect 40 yard dash down is probably too much for a QB who everybody would expect to crush the speed record for QBs. Proving that he can deliver passes from a sound platform simuNot even talking about the injury risk, as you often see athletes pull their hammy during the 40.

If you can't judge the tape, nobody can help you. I haven't seen many QBs, even dedicated scramblers who couldn't throw at all, that could make people miss like Murray has done. His acceleration and shiftiness are off the charts for the QB position. Once he accelerates past the LOS you can't blink with your eye and he is gone. This will also help to open up the passing lanes he needs. We've seen it first-hand with Russell Wilson for years.

The question is if the Cardinals indeed go all-in on Murray. The case can be made that Rosen + Bosa are the better choice. I just hate when people talk crap about Murray just because they don't want the Cards to draft him. Bosa can turn into a 100 sack guy over the next decade for us, but that's nothing against a legit franchise QB who has very special playmaking ability.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
May I remind you of the year 2003
The Cardinals had pick 10 and they traded it for picks 17 AND 18

The Ravens got
Terrell Suggs with pick 10

The Cardinals got
Bryant Johnson pick 17
Calvin Pace pick 18

15 years later the Cards are still looking at that trade in the face

Always remember wherever your team is picking is where they should be picking.

Cardinals should be picking first and taking whomever their guy is and don't look back. More does not mean better...remember the Suggs trade

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

The Ravens got

The Cardinals got
Bryant Johnson pick 17
Calvin Pace pick 18

Cardinals should be picking first and taking whomever their guy is and don't look back. More does not mean better
They can still get Q. Williams at 4. I think he is better pick than Bosa.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Hey BW52, what do you think about Kyler Murray?

Sheesh[/QUOtE)

I think you know how I feel about him.Frankly IDK if that meets your approval or not.If you had bothered to read on so would see that I tempered my view somewhat later.Sheesh yourself .

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll say this:

I’ve always been a huge Kyler Murray fan. I have followed his debut at Allen High School playing perennial football powerhouse Southlake Carroll his Sophomore year. He didn’t start, but he rotated in & out during a 2 QB system. I know the Texas boards were really eager to see more of this kid as time passed on. It wasn’t until Allen’s loss(last regular season loss btw) against Coppell High School that Kyler was named the starter from here on out. Once he was named the starter, he never looked back. Allen High ripped off undefeated season after undefeated season & championship after championship, including comebacks against Dallas, Texas powerhouse, DeSoto, TWICE in 2013 & 2014. Capped off with more Kyler Murray heroics against Skyline high school in 2014, coming back from 17 in the 2nd half while winning the game by 17(I think). Honestly, he’s arguably the best high school football player I ever seen.

He goes on to A&M, but things don’t work out there between Kevin Sumlin & Kyler’s dad. Hence, the transfer to OU.

Not shocked, Kyler has an amazing season & wins the Heisman. The kid has been a superstar since the days I have watched him.

However, I don’t think it’s a guarantee he will become a stud in the NFL. There’s questions I have about him still. Height isn’t one of them. For example, how will he fare in a environment where doesn’t have all these advantages:

Allen holds damn near 6K students. That’s a big pool of talent to pull from. I would say DeSoto High was the only school that had the same type & amount of athletes that Allen did, & continue to have.

Outside of Texas, Oklahoma’s talent is always head & shoulders above everyone in the Big 12. TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State have their years, but it’s not common. Again, he has walked into a situation where the supporting cast supercedes most of the opposition.

Even though I’m still high on Rosen, I would not mind the pick of Kyler. Just know that a DLine of DeForest Buckner, Dee Ford, & Nick Bosa or Quinnen Williams will cause us hell for a bit. I also think the “Kyler fits in Kingsbury’s system better than Rosen” is idiotic because we don’t even know what the hell kind of NFL system he’ll run.

If Kyler is the pick, so be it. Maybe it’ll be worth it in the end, maybe it’ll be disastrous. I think he has what it takes, but it’s not always a guarantee....

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll say this:

I’ve always been a huge Kyler Murray fan. I have followed his debut at Allen High School playing perennial football powerhouse Southlake Carroll his Sophomore year. He didn’t start, but he rotated in & out during a 2 QB system. I know the Texas boards were really eager to see more of this kid as time passed on. It wasn’t until Allen’s loss(last regular season loss btw) against Coppell High School that Kyler was named the starter from here on out. Once he was named the starter, he never looked back. Allen High ripped off undefeated season after undefeated season & championship after championship, including comebacks against Dallas, Texas powerhouse, DeSoto, TWICE in 2013 & 2014. Capped off with more Kyler Murray heroics against Skyline high school in 2014, coming back from 17 in the 2nd half while winning the game by 17(I think). Honestly, he’s arguably the best high school football player I ever seen.

He goes on to A&M, but things don’t work out there between Kevin Sumlin & Kyler’s dad. Hence, the transfer to OU.

Not shocked, Kyler has an amazing season & wins the Heisman. The kid has been a superstar since the days I have watched him.

However, I don’t think it’s a guarantee he will become a stud in the NFL. There’s questions I have about him still. Height isn’t one of them. For example, how will he fare in a environment where doesn’t have all these advantages:

Allen holds damn near 6K students. That’s a big pool of talent to pull from. I would say DeSoto High was the only school that had the same type & amount of athletes that Allen did, & continue to have.

Outside of Texas, Oklahoma’s talent is always head & shoulders above everyone in the Big 12. TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State have their years, but it’s not common. Again, he has walked into a situation where the supporting cast supercedes most of the opposition.

Even though I’m still high on Rosen, I would not mind the pick of Kyler. Just know that a DLine of DeForest Buckner, Dee Ford, & Nick Bosa or Quinnen Williams will cause us hell for a bit. I also think the “Kyler fits in Kingsbury’s system better than Rosen” is idiotic because we don’t even know what the hell kind of NFL system he’ll run.

If Kyler is the pick, so be it. Maybe it’ll be worth it in the end, maybe it’ll be disastrous. I think he has what it takes, but it’s not always a guarantee....

Best post I've seen on the Murray situation.

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
“Strong influence” was the point of contention. Not “making decisions.”

Even having "strong influence" is stupid. It should be Keim's decision to figure out what the best decision is.

What's best for the Cardinals isn't always going to be what's best for Kingsbury. What Kliff wants doesn't (and shouldn't) matter nearly as much as people make it seem.

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
Look at his college numbers. If you go by those he is better than Wilson. That is all we have to go off of.

Could he suck, sure could.

Guess what so could Bosa.

Just because each "could suck" doesn't mean that they are equally likely to suck. I don't think anybody would argue that the odds of Bosa being a bust are far lower than that of Murray. Murray probably has more upside - but he no doubt has a tremendous amount of risk attached.

The first pick is about maximizing its value. A potential franchise QB is what maximizes value.

Murray WILL be picked first. The only question is if the cards pick him or trade the pick.

Yikes.

The first pick is about maximizing expected value. That means looking at both the ceiling and the floor - and evaluating the likelihood of each outcome happening.

Making a decision without considering risk is a disaster waiting to happen.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn imagine if Rosen won a SB before Kyler even appeared in one with us

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The Ravens got

The Cardinals got
Bryant Johnson pick 17
Calvin Pace pick 18

Cardinals should be picking first and taking whomever their guy is and don't look back. More does not mean better...remember the Suggs trade

We had the 6th pick and traded with the Saints, not the Ravens. Also got pick #54 that turned out to be Boldin.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We had the 6th pick and traded with the Saints, not the Ravens. Also got pick #54 that turned out to be Boldin.

We swapped picks in the second round as part of the deal, meaning we traded down in the second. We didn’t pick up an extra pick or acquire one in that round, we could have drafted Suggs and Boldin with our original picks and saved the drama...oh well, can’t change history.

Supposedly George Boone had a third round grade on Suggs, ugh

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ll put this out there again:

Kliff took this job with grooming Josh Rosen while stabilizing the offense as his primary focus.

Any guy that would come in during the interview process and state he doesn’t want to work with the current QB would be one hell of a strategy. Rewind back two months and Murray was still consider a baseball player.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
FWIW, I don’t think people generally hate Kyler Murray, but rather, the idea of drafting him #1 overall. He may very well become a great QB. Who knows? We have a franchise guy in Rosen already, but holes in numerous other positions. Both Rosen and Murray will need refining from their coach, whomever it will be.

There are a number of guys who’re worthy of the #1 pick who could be instant contributors to this team. Murray has numerous red flags, which should be concerning for teams in the first round.

There are others in the Top-10, as well, if the team can trade down (which is Keim’s goal).

I know for certainty that KK took the job with grooming Josh Rosen in mind. Stay the course, take the top guy or trade down and get capital in return.

This. If we were sitting at #10 and the idea of drafting Kyler Murray were out there? Or at the top of the 2nd? Man, I might be crazy enough to listen. At #1, no way. Too rich for my blood. This guy is just a walking pinata of red flags, and I'm going to be extremely disheartened to watch us walk away from a 3-pick investment last year for a guy who is far from a sure thing.

If we had rolled into this pick with someone like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck at #1, who were clearly top picks over multiple years of performance, fine, pull the trigger.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
A thought as I watch Flight Plan:

Does Kyler Murray love the game of football?

If that question has to be asked to a prospective first-round pick, let alone a potential #1 pick, that's a huge red flag.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If that question has to be asked to a prospective first-round pick, let alone a potential #1 pick, that's a huge red flag.

Exactly. I half wonder if Keim isn't being honest. He keeps talking about missing out on guys that have talent and athleticism because they don't have a love for the game.

Murray wasn't even planning on playing football until he decided not to do baseball. Football is his rebound girlfriend.

Sweet D

Reaction score
Rebound girlfriend? Murray broke up with baseball. Not the other way around. The person breaking it off isn’t on the rebound.