Murray may not run at Pro Day Today (3/13)

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wish they would cite the NFL rule changes that have made special players like him MORE possible that at any time in the NFL's history.

How un-needed contact is being penalized right out of the game.
How QB's are barely able to be touched at this point. Especially if it is below the waist or above the neck.
How out of bounds hits are being flagged (horribly IMO but would work to our advantage).

It's not 2000 or even 2010, or even 2014 anymore. This issue will keep getting better for the QB's. Not worse.

You can't argue with these facts. And the rules will NEVER go back to where they were. With the NFL protecting their QB's, the more athletically gifted QB's will be very difficult to stop. It's more likely that the taller, prototypical pocket passers will get injured, than the more mobile types like Murray.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't argue with these facts. And the rules will NEVER go back to where they were. With the NFL protecting their QB's, the more athletically gifted QB's will be very difficult to stop. It's more likely that the taller, prototypical pocket passers will get injured, than the more mobile types like Murray.
So what about Wentz, Cam, & Watson

All 3 guys that suffered big time injuries the not that long ago, while 2 of them (Wentz/Cam) were still battling injuries the previous season

This myth of “mobile QBs will evade injuries cause they can escape cause mobility” has to stop

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hell, look at the vets like Rodgers & Smith. Same applies to them.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This myth of “mobile QBs will evade injuries cause they can escape cause mobility” has to stop

In fact running QBs are more susceptible to injury than the average pocket passer because the protections they have by rule in the pocket don't apply when they are a runner.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So what about Wentz, Cam, & Watson

All 3 guys that suffered big time injuries the not that long ago, while 2 of them (Wentz/Cam) were still battling injuries the previous season

All three take needless hit after needless hit. Thinking they can out-muscle their defensive opponents. RGIII was also HORRIBLE at this. the play where Rodgers broke his collarbone was avoidable. He tried to make a monster throw instead of ditching the ball. Wentz came in to the league with injury issues. So did Rosen (Head). So did Watson for that matter. Hell..... It's Cam's entire game IMO. A horribly inaccurate thrower with amazing mobility and a battering ram personality.

Being able to be agile, and knowing when to slide are just as important as getting out of bounds IMO. Go look at Murray's tape. He is AMAZING at this. Probably from his baseball background.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All three take needless hit after needless hit. Thinking they can out-muscle their defensive opponents. RGIII was also HORRIBLE at this. the play where Rodgers broke his collarbone was avoidable. He tried to make a monster throw instead of ditching the ball. Wentz came in to the league with injury issues. So did Rosen (Head). So did Watson for that matter. Hell..... It's Cam's entire game IMO. A horribly inaccurate thrower with amazing mobility and a battering ram personality.

Being able to be agile, and knowing when to slide are just as important as getting out of bounds IMO. Go look at Murray's tape. He is AMAZING at this. Probably from his baseball background.
I used to believe this & I said the same about Lamar, cause he was really good at avoiding hits in college, but it’s like all that went away once he got into the league. He took some big hits from the games I’ve watched last season.

The more athletic players in the league aren’t gonna take the same bad angles the ones in college did. I’ve learned that you can be the greatest at avoiding hits in college, but it’s not translatable to the league because the athletes are that much better & smarter.

There’s also Luck. Trubisky missed a few games last season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If you go to the Oklahoma website right now it lists him as 5'10 195 pounds.

So I guess you are correct we can assume he put on 10 pounds. We cannot assume that was all water weight, or that he has lost any speed at 205.

You can't assume he is the same speed either, which is why not running creates questions

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Murray is elite at avoiding contact. Russell Wilson-esque

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'll agree with this mobile QB lovefest when a mobile QB consistently leads a team to championships.

Even Russell Wilson hasn't really done it. He rode the tide of an all time great defense and running game to a championship and hasn't replicated the success as the team has leaned on him more and more.

Tom Brady is a statue. He runs like a 5.8 40 now LOL.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I agree. Russ is the lone example of a great mobile QB avoiding injuries. Question is will it translate for Kyler to the league.

But's that we're selling you DVontel.

I'm honestly saying to you that Murray has a good chance, a chance worth taking, to be the next Russell Wilson.

And DVontel.. And...

I believe that Murray has the possibility sir, a reasonable chance, to be even better than Wilson. Wow! right?

That's why we're willing to gamble the future of the franchise on the kid. Based on the above.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The same could be said for Lamar too but that didn’t stop him from taking big hits in the league.
As a guy who lived in Louisville, has friends who are die hard Louisville football people, they would categorically deny that Lamar was good at avoiding contact.

Petrino molded the offense around his running, shot him through the A gap multiple times per game, and expected his run first (Olympic level sprinter) QB to do exactly that. Run.

That is not Kyler's game at all.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
On his tape, you consistently see Murray get down before the big hit.

Well of course this is true. Jesus.

Murray slides 60% - 70% of the time before contact. The rest of the time he's doing his best Andre Ellington impression to get down low before the defender gets to him.

He was never even dinged the entire 2018 season. Never missed a series because of injury. Never questionable for one game. This, despite rushing for 1,000 yards. What does that tell you guys?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The same could be said for Lamar too but that didn’t stop him from taking big hits in the league.

Even with Lamar `s great athletic ability he took several big hits last season.Lamar is 6`2 215 and his bell got rung a couple of time.During his playoff the opponent schemed to contain his ability to sramble outside the pocket and forced him into different game plan.He had a terrible first half and his offensive gave up 7 sacks in the game and many pressures.Lamar did lead Baltimore to a comeback in the 2nd half and was going for the Go ahead score when sacked for the 7th time and fumbled.Ravens lost.Point is the opponent took away Jackson chances to use his mobility by containing the outside and not giving him the chance to move around and make big plays.Do you Murray fns really rt5hink that can` or won`t happen when Murray gerts in the league...?I know you murray fans will say Murray is more accurate blah blah,but he not more agile or 6`2 either is he?Lamar got some hard lessons his rookie year and he has said it was a huge learning experience.Becoming a more solid pocket passer and running less is a goal.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Murray slides 60% - 70% of the time before contact. The rest of the time he's doing his best Andre Ellington impression to get down low before the defender gets to him.

He was never even dinged the entire 2018 season. Never missed a series because of injury. Never questionable for one game. This, despite rushing for 1,000 yards. What does that tell you guys?

Tells me he had a offensive line that has 4 guys who will likely be drafted and he played in a defense poor conference.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
As a guy who lived in Louisville, has friends who are die hard Louisville football people, they would categorically deny that Lamar was good at avoiding contact.

Petrino molded the offense around his running, shot him through the A gap multiple times per game, and expected his run first (Olympic level sprinter) QB to do exactly that. Run.

That is not Kyler's game at all.

So mighty mite is just going to scamper around all those big mean NFL guys chasing him ?You know why Petrino molded the offense around LJ? Because his offensive was average at best,His offensive options besides himself were fairly limited.Lamar was basically the whole show because no other guys stepped up when needed.Lamar was not only the best passer but he was also the best runner.Petrino simply did what he felt he needed to do to be competitive.Yes I am a Louisville fan.Lamar was at times too reckless and many fans and the coaches wanted him to slide more and minimize the injury risk.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So mighty mite is just going to scamper around all those big mean NFL guys chasing him ?You know why Petrino molded the offense around LJ? Because his offensive was average at best,His offensive options besides himself were fairly limited.Lamar was basically the whole show because no other guys stepped up when needed.Lamar was not only the best passer but he was also the best runner.Petrino simply did what he felt he needed to do to be competitive.Yes I am a Louisville fan.
To answer the first question. yeah, I do.

As for Petrino, his offenses have proven to be very good at the college level. Give him a little talent (and no hot women as his assistants) and he moves the ball up and down the field with impunity.

Lamar has never been a good passer. Ever. Josh Allen level passing. Maybe even worse. Skelton/SCUD level passing. People make excuses for QB's like that because of their running ability and physical traits they possess. "Oh.... We can coach him up. His accuracy will improve with better footwork!!!"

It's a total joke. A con-job.

Again, Kyler is not like any of those dudes.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
In fact running QBs are more susceptible to injury than the average pocket passer because the protections they have by rule in the pocket don't apply when they are a runner.
Winner...QBs are only protected by the new rules, when inside the pocket...once they break containment and scramble/run, they are no longer a QB in the eyes of the NFL...they are running backs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Winner...QBs are only protected by the new rules, when inside the pocket...once they break containment and scramble/run, they are no longer a QB in the eyes of the NFL...they are running backs.

Sort of. Referees still treat them differently than RB's & WR's.

With that being said...... He is still amazing at this.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I used to believe this & I said the same about Lamar, cause he was really good at avoiding hits in college, but it’s like all that went away once he got into the league. He took some big hits from the games I’ve watched last season.

The more athletic players in the league aren’t gonna take the same bad angles the ones in college did. I’ve learned that you can be the greatest at avoiding hits in college, but it’s not translatable to the league because the athletes are that much better & smarter.

There’s also Luck. Trubisky missed a few games last season.
It didn't go away...he was better than the college defenders trying to hit him...in the NFL, he's not any better or more athletic than the defenders. It always catches up.

It's more about anticipation in the pocket than raw athletic ability...Marino was the best, hands down...couldn't outrun a DL, to save his life, but he sure could sidestep in the pocket and avoid big hits. Even his 1 major injury was non-contact.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Tells me he plays smart. Wilson and Mahomes are both really good at getting a few yards out of a busted play and getting down before they get hit. Smart.

What that doesn't tell me is if he's tough enough to stand in the pocket for that extra half second it takes sometimes for the receiver to come open and take the hit. Wilson and Mahomes are both good at this as well.