What SEC linemen said about Josh Allen

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
SEC blockers considered Josh Allen their toughest assignment
  • By Josh Edwards
  • Mar 9, 2019 at 8:26 pm ET • 2 min read
You must be registered for see images attach

(Photo: Mat Gdowski/Icon Sportswire, Getty)
Kentucky's Josh Allen raced around the edge for a sack 17 times this season. His talents as a pass rusher made him one of the most feared in the SEC this season. At the NFL Combine, The Draft Network's Jon Ledyardposed a simple question to some of the SEC's best offensive tackles last season: who was the most difficult player to defend?

The answers, unsurprisingly, favored Allen.

“Josh Allen was the best pass rusher I faced last year,” Florida left tackle Jawaan Taylorsaid.

“Josh Allen just brings a lot of different moves to the table.Brian Burnswas more of a speed guy with a counter inside. He has a lot of different moves as well, but Allen is just a little bit stronger so you have to be able to prepare for his strength as well.”

Kentucky football spring practice has arrived. Get the latest news sent directly to your inbox when you sign up for our FREE email newsletter TODAY!

South Carolina left tackle Dennis Daleylearned a valuable lesson by playing against Allen.

“The best player I faced in college was Josh Allen. We kinda got in a hole on offense and things weren’t going our way late. He’s a real good player, he knows how to bend to get around the edge, he’s so good at that. And he never stops, he just keeps it going. He’s got that motor," Daley continued.

“Facing Josh Allen…I guess it put in the back of my head that I never want to feel this way again. I kind of took my preparation to another level because I didn’t ever want to go through that again.”

Texas A&M running Trayveon Williams went a step further when explaining the talents of the New Jersey native.

“Josh Allen was the best player I faced over my career. He knew what plays were coming before we ran them," Williams said via The Athletic's Dane Brugler.

The senior has been projected anywhere from No. 2 overall by the San Francisco 49ers to No. 4 overall by the Oakland Raiders.

Unfortunately for each of those players, they are heading to the professional ranks where they could very well face Allen yet again. There is no escaping him.

Allen had 62 tackles, seven sacks and four forced fumbles in 2016. The following year, he had 66 tackles, seven sacks, three pass deflections and an interception. During his final campaign, he had 88 tackles, 17 sacks, five forced fumbles and four pass deflections. The New Jersey native was a unanimous All-American. He won the Chuck Bednarik Award, Lott Trophy, Bronko Nagurski Trophy and was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

The 2019 NFL Draft takes place in Nashville, Tennessee from Apr. 25-27.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was the most electric defender in the SEC to be sure.
To be fair, they didn't face Bosa though. No way to compare.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Josh Allen is good but IMHO Bosa can passrush AND is very tough holding the edge against the run.Bosa more complete player IMHO.

I don't disagree, but if you traded down to four and added two other high picks, Josh Allen would be an extremely good consolation prize.

In most drafts Allen would be the top pass Rusher.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but if you traded down to four and added two other high picks, Josh Allen would be an extremely good consolation prize.

I don`t want to trade down because I have very little faith that SK won`t screw up and try and be the smartest guy in the room.Just draft Bosa and roll with it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I don't want a "consolation prize" on the worst team in the league. I want the best player. I want a star player.

Take Bosa and don't get cute.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't want a "consolation prize" on the worst team in the league. I want the best player. I want a star player.

Take Bosa and don't get cute.

LOL I want Bosa!

But I think people are downgrading Josh Allen. He was the best defensive player in the toughest conference in football.

He checks all of the blocks and he doesn't have the injury concerns of Bosa.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he has a higher ceiling than Bosa...but also a lower floor
He was worse than Bosa in the combine drills that actually matter for EDGEs in the 3 cone & 20 yard shuttle. I don’t even think he has a higher ceiling tbh. Sure he’s better in coverage but that doesn’t matter to me with EDGEs. No one cares about Mack’s, Von’s, Clowney’s, or even our own Chandler Jones’ coverage ability.

If there’s a EDGE that has a higher ceiling than Bosa, it’s Burns.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL I want Bosa!

But I think people are downgrading Josh Allen. He was the best defensive player in the toughest conference in football.

Not even in his own conference tbh.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
LOL I want Bosa!

Don't get me wrong, he still might be good. I'm just pretty vehemently against trading down. BW said it already, but I'm terrified of Keim thinking he's outsmarted everyone and then finding out his guys aren't there, all so we can pick up a marginal starter that will be off the team before his second contract. Like almost all of the guys we've drafted in the latter half of round one.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He was worse than Bosa in the combine drills that actually matter for EDGEs in the 3 cone & 20 yard shuttle. I don’t even think he has a higher ceiling tbh. Sure he’s better in coverage but that doesn’t matter to me with EDGEs. No one cares about Mack’s, Von’s, Clowney’s, or even our own Chandler Jones’ coverage ability.

If there’s a EDGE that has a higher ceiling than Bosa, it’s Burns.
17 sacks. one season.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, he still might be good. I'm just pretty vehemently against trading down. BW said it already, but I'm terrified of Keim thinking he's outsmarted everyone and then finding out his guys aren't there, all so we can pick up a marginal starter that will be off the team before his second contract. Like almost all of the guys we've drafted in the latter half of round one.
This is why I’m so confused as to why some want to trade down badly! lol, did people forget who our GM is?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
17 sacks. one season.

Whoopee .So how will he hold up versus the run in the NFL? I want a complete player (BOSA)a guy who can pass rush/hold the edge/stuff the run/great work ethic/very strong/knows whats needs to be done.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is why I’m so confused as to why some want to trade down badly! lol, did people forget who our GM is?
I'm not even a Keim hater. We could have the greatest GM in NFL history and I'd think it's a bad move with our current roster.

This is not a "belly build" we have going on here. We have three guys on this team that can be considered stars, and one who is definitely insanely important to the franchise's history, and all will be gone shortly. We're a season or two away from being the 2003 Cardinals, where knowing a single player's name on the roster would win you a bar bet.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Josh Allen CAREER 51 games 31.5 sacks
Josh Allen CAREER versus ranked teams 12 games 4 sacks (3 versus PennST last Bowl game0

Nick Bosa CAREER 30 games 17.5 sacks
Nick Bosa CAREER versus ranked teams 11 games 7.5 sacks

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The piece starting off this thread, praising Allen to the skies was apparently put out by the Kentucky U PR people.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes. A former Executive of the Year and as our head of scouting had his finger on all of the good calls over the past decade plus.

Let's stop with the incompetence B-S.

A GM who hits on 60% of his picks is headed to the H of F.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Josh Allen is good but IMHO Bosa can passrush AND is very tough holding the edge against the run.Bosa more complete player IMHO.

Absolutely! Allen doesn’t have the overall mechanics that Bosa possesses. Bosa can beat you in so many ways, whereas Allen depends entirely on his athleticism only. Having Allen is better than a sharp stick in the eye, but I’d prefer Bosa.