OT: Dan Marino

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We know he never won a championship but should still be considered a top-5 QB all time. This guy was putting up Patrick Mahomes numbers in the 80’s!

(enjoy the low-def)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he had any semblance of a running game he would have won multiple championships. It's sad that his final game was one of the worst blowouts in NFL history. 61-7 loss to the Jags.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never had the team around him but he could sling it.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Never forgave the Jets for taking Richard Todd from Namaths alma mater instead of Marino. He supposedly had character issues. o_O

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never forgave the Jets for taking Richard Todd from Namaths alma mater instead of Marino. He supposedly had character issues. o_O

Richard Todd played for Alabama in the 70's and was drafted by the Jets in 1976.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
A great QB can’t block for himself, rush the passer, catch a presicely thrown ball or stop the run.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Greatest QB of all-time if you ask me.

*Greatest is a never ending debate, and if I was able to build my own team from any player in history he would not be my starting QB, but Marino is the best QB I have ever seen. Put him on the Patriots and that team has multiple 16-0 seasons.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Marino had one fatal flaw - he was constantly berating teammates. If a receiver dropped a pass, Marino would pout, yell at him in the huddle, then not trust him to go back to him. It happened a LOT. Meanwhile, Joe Montana, in the same situation, would pat the receiver on the back, then try to go back to him as quickly as possible, to get his confidence back after a drop.

Just an observation from watching a ton of football back in the day.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Well if he had a championship team around him would he have those numbers? Probably yes - just classic reason why I say the ground game is the engine of an offense - I mean compare the 72 dolphins to modern football - they were not the most talented - but was the most effective as a team - I remember morrell taking over for Griese most of the playoffs - as unitis did for morrell in the greatest game ever played. - I know the dolphins knocked off my browns and the best all around football player ever - Leroy Kelly in the AFC championship game. Oh yea the mud and the blood and the guts - that formula still wins championships.

Excuse me it’s been a minute - the browns were the wild card

1972 marked the end of a nine-year span in which the Browns made the playoffs seven times; it would be the Browns' last playoff appearance until 1980.

The 1972 Cleveland Browns not only made it to the postseason as a wild card team with a 10–4 record, but also nearly pulled off what would have been one of the biggest upsets in team and NFL playoff history. Playing in the AFC divisional round in Miami against a Dolphins team that would go 17–0 and win the Super Bowl, the Browns lost 20–14 after blowing a 14–13 lead midway through the fourth quarter.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I remember when the NFL had one of those top ten genres and it was most mobile QBs and they included Dan Marino. I was like what the hell, the guy was Jim Hart slow but then they brought up how flawless he moved in the pocket to avoid tacklers and make throws

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That first pass... Just chillin’ on his back foot than BAM!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA