ASU Basketball 2018/2019

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobby is the coolest thing to hit the UAC since Bill Fridder.

Sincerely, J.R. Ewing

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm expecting more from Hurley but yes, he is fun to watch.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly cannot believe that Walton is still on the air.

"You know, it's difficult to win in overtime when you don't score any points." - Bill Walton last night

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The Conference of Champions!"

""That fountain is filled from the Salt River basin"

I love at how Dave Pasch is so snarky with him.

I loved (paraphrasing) "Hey, Bill it's not National Apology Day. You do not have to keep apologizing for talking over me." LOL

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score

"You know, it's difficult to win in overtime when you don't score any points." - Bill Walton last night
Aww, c'mon man. Walton is funny. Sure he's a hippie blowhard. But he's funny as hell and he fills the time in between some rather boring games with fun stuff.

I could say the same thing about Ron Wolfley. His "Basinonians" schtick sickens me.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Why? Walton adds flavor to the commentary and everyone talks about him when he's slated to do a game, whether it be on the Pac-12 Network or ESPN. He's also passionate about the whole conference, which is something sorely needed with the current state of the entire conference.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm expecting more from Hurley but yes, he is fun to watch.
Honest question: What are your expectations for Hurley? He's the best coach and recruiter ASU has had in a while; however, he is limited. His players rely heavily on emotion, which can be both a blessing and a curse. It's also known that he does not spend much, if any, time on defense during practice. Hurley needs to become a better tactician and practice defense if he wants ASU to be a contender in the conference

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? Walton adds flavor to the commentary and everyone talks about him when he's slated to do a game, whether it be on the Pac-12 Network or ESPN. He's also passionate about the whole conference, which is something sorely needed with the current state of the entire conference.

Oh, I know all of that is true it's just some of the mind-numbingly ridiculous things he says. Some UofA homer on twitter the other day was ripping Pasch and calling Walton the best. I can't follow that logic. LOL

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Does out matter to anyone outside of the conference of he is passionate? Not going to matter for tourney spots just because of goofy Uncle Bill.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest question: What are your expectations for Hurley? He's the best coach and recruiter ASU has had in a while; however, he is limited. His players rely heavily on emotion, which can be both a blessing and a curse. It's also known that he does not spend much, if any, time on defense during practice. Hurley needs to become a better tactician and practice defense if he wants ASU to be a contender in the conference

My expectations for Bobby Hurley is to consistently having a winning basketball program and occasionally make some noise in the NCAA tournament.

It's all about elevating the ASU basketball and stability for me.

ASU is still building their foundation. Hopefully in time, everything will come around.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Expectations for Hurley are high and should be...He should have this team consistently in the PAC-12 title running and therefore, consistently showing up in the NCAA tourney.
Oddly enough, he has yet to recruit a top-tier shooting guard. He grabbed Evans from his days at Buffalo, but this year he and the team have been regularly exposed for the horrendous shooting team they are.
Additionally and equally odd is how poor they are defensively and how their energy and focus is so inconsistent... All traits that defined Hurley as a player!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Much needed win last night to take down unbeaten Washington...
But man this team remains so incredibly frustrating to watch. So undisciplined. So inconsistent...
I am starting to wonder if Hurley has what is needed to bring ASU up to the sustained level of success many are expecting.
He himself can be so undisciplined as a coach... last night, in a really weird sequence when Washington’s head coach jumped onto the court in frustration, screaming at his team while ASU was bringing the ball up the court, it seemed Hurley was going after the Wash coach! He had to be held back... Oddest thing was that the refs blew the whistle and stopped play, but didn’t call a T on the Washington coach...
Washington St easily dismantles UofA yesterday, but not sure that does anything to diminish the stain of ASU’s loss to the Cougars... Still a tough road ahead for the Devils and their chances for making the dance...

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some of Asu's wins are really good though... They beat some top ranked teams along the way. I guess college basketball now uses certain calculations to decide who makes it in.. but ASU should be the type of team they would want in. They seem to play best most of the time with the better competition which should mean exciting games in the tournament if they are allowed in. I really hope they make it. If they were skating, the must now know there is really no room for error. I wonder how many games left they could lose and still make it in?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
True to form, Devils looking like they’re about to go down to Colorado. Which makes sense since they just beat undefeated Washington.
Same story... They simply can’t shoot. Dort is embarrassing... And they are so undisciplined, taking so many stupid shots. And I have never seen a team, college or pro, consistently miss so many baskets at the hoop.
Hurley has some serious recruiting to do. He needs to find some legit shooters...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave