Vance Joseph is DC

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Now that he is the DC, I hope he can swing a trade for Miller from Denver, as they have him on the trade block. ;)

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now that he is the DC, I hope he can swing a trade for Miller from Denver, as they have him on the trade block. ;)
If hes on the block, than Ill trade our number 1 pick for him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
29 seems to be the magical age when pass rushers start to decline. There’s no way you make that deal when you’re rebuilding.

Yeah and then if we sign golden we have good depth
Mayowa
Zach Moore
And probably a first rounder

Also there are some interisting names available in march

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Works for me. Not elated with him but he is not a bad hire.
Only thing I read that was negative about him is that his schemes aren't good at stopping the run. Gives up huge chunks a yardage on the ground because it's a wide 9 type 3 4 defense. On the positive side, he mixes up his coverages & it confuses QB's. Lots of turnovers created from it the one yr in Miami. Hopefully we can score a lot of points & the attacking style defense will pay off?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah and then if we sign golden we have good depth
Mayowa
Zach Moore
And probably a first rounder

Also there are some interisting names available in march
We'd have to re-sign all three, Mayowa and Moore are UFAs too

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On 620 today the brought up six Denver FAs that may be if interest to us based on VJ being the DC- Peko and Zach Kerr at NT, Roby and Trumaine Brock at CB, and Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett at OLB. At this point id say no on Peko due to age, but Kerr seems like he'd be a good rotation guy with 3-4 NT experience. Ray or Barrett would be good depth if we draft Bosa and Golden leaves but not sure if they'd be cheaper. Roby former first rounder, 5'11, 27 maybe someone that can stabilize the #2 CB??

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
On 620 today the brought up six Denver FAs that may be if interest to us based on VJ being the DC- Peko and Zach Kerr at NT, Roby and Trumaine Brock at CB, and Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett at OLB. At this point id say no on Peko due to age, but Kerr seems like he'd be a good rotation guy with 3-4 NT experience. Ray or Barrett would be good depth if we draft Bosa and Golden leaves but not sure if they'd be cheaper. Roby former first rounder, 5'11, 27 maybe someone that can stabilize the #2 CB??

Don't discount Peko. He is still a grinder and has a great work ethic. A rotation of him and Peters is a good start. My guess is that Keim will try and bring in Peko, Kerr and Roby from that Denver defense.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well Peterson was excited about Wilks defensive scheme last year too, thought it would allow him to make more plays. No player is ever going to come out and say the new scheme is worthless...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well Peterson was excited about Wilks defensive scheme last year too, thought it would allow him to make more plays. No player is ever going to come out and say the new scheme is worthless...

I think you are wrong here. Peterson had to have the staff sell him on playing zone.

Peterson has always been a man cover corner.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think you are wrong here. Peterson had to have the staff sell him on playing zone.

He may have privately thought that but this is what he said to the media...

“The defensive side of the ball is going to be much simpler than what it was the last couple of years,” he explained. “It’s going to allow guys to line up and play football. If offenses know we’re playing Cover 3, beat it. We’re not trying to outsmart anyone when we’re on the football field. We want to make teams adjust to us. I think that’s going to make us that much more lethal.”

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/03/patrick-peterson-impressed-with-steve-wilks-his-defense/

Reaction score
He may have privately thought that but this is what he said to the media...

“The defensive side of the ball is going to be much simpler than what it was the last couple of years,” he explained. “It’s going to allow guys to line up and play football. If offenses know we’re playing Cover 3, beat it. We’re not trying to outsmart anyone when we’re on the football field. We want to make teams adjust to us. I think that’s going to make us that much more lethal.”

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/03/patrick-peterson-impressed-with-steve-wilks-his-defense/

I think this was more about the defense as a whole vs his responsibilities. PP prefers man coverage imo since he excels at it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry, but Peterson can be quite the moron at times. He thought Wilks was a great coach because he allowed us to loosen up with music they loved?????????

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
I will cut P2 some slack, it is easy to get hyped for boss or coach who talks a good game, but doesn't deliver. I am sure we have all been there in sports and in life.

I am sure a simplified defense sounded great in the meeting room...i am sure "we are doing XYZ, you beat it" (which they did) sounded awesome as well...everyone has a plan when until they get punched in the mouth...we got punched in the mouth and had no answer as the previously great sounding scheme fell apart.

That is the difference between the staff and the players, good on P2 for buying in, bad on the staff wasting an elite corner in a soft zone scheme...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think this was more about the defense as a whole vs his responsibilities. PP prefers man coverage imo since he excels at it.

He also said this...

“I’m looking to make a ton of plays this year,” he said. “I’m looking to start jumping routes now. I’m looking to be a little bit more aggressive off the ball, and be the same as I am when I’m in the receiver’s face.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-get-more-varied-role-in-steve-wilks-defense/

I am not saying he isn’t excited about Vance Joseph, I am just saying he was excited last year as well. Rarely do you ever hear a player say something negative about an incoming coach.

My belief is the defense will be better I am just saying these statements from players have to be taken with a grain of salt.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Peterson was selling wilks D early and often assuming the zone role was going to increase his stats

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave