Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Considering how poorly ASU started the game last night, they sure recovered and ended up winning.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Considering how poorly ASU started the game last night, they sure recovered and ended up winning.

After they woke up they were in total control. Martin had a monster game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like Remy got them started. I don't want the Sun Devils to let down like they did last season after a great start. The last two PAC 12 wins are encouraging.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
After they woke up they were in total control. Martin had a monster game.

It sounds like Remy got them started. I don't want the Sun Devils to let down like they did last season after a great start. The last two PAC 12 wins are encouraging.

It's good to see the team as a whole playing better after those two ugly loses post-Kansas. But IMHO, I just don't trust Martin to be the leader of this team. I don't think Hurley is 100% using him as such, and I REALLY hope he refrains from making Remy the alpha leader. He's good in spots. Provides energy at times when it's needed. But the downsides to him are hard to gloss over. Too often, he plays undisciplined ball, taking bad shots and missing most of them. He can be a turnover machine at times... I dunno... I kinda wish they had a credible alternative that could take some of the minutes away from Martin.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It's good to see the team as a whole playing better after those two ugly loses post-Kansas. But IMHO, I just don't trust Martin to be the leader of this team. I don't think Hurley is 100% using him as such, and I REALLY hope he refrains from making Remy the alpha leader. He's good in spots. Provides energy at times when it's needed. But the downsides to him are hard to gloss over. Too often, he plays undisciplined ball, taking bad shots and missing most of them. He can be a turnover machine at times... I dunno... I kinda wish they had a credible alternative that could take some of the minutes away from Martin.
Dort can’t shoot.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To play more consistently they need to make sure they get major contributions from at least two of Cherry, Cheatham, Lawrence or White each game. If Martin's shot falls that's gravy. Dort has a huge ceiling but he can't shoot, he came here because he felt Hurley was the best teacher.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Watching the Oregon St game... and MY GOD is ASU one of the worst shooting teams I think I have ever seen! Wow!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devils beat Oregon today 78-64.

Here is an excerpt from Associated Press via ESPN:

Oregon led most of the first 12 minutes of the second half, but never by much. King bounced in a 3-pointer to put the Ducks up 54-50 but Cherry and Kimani Lawrence each made 3s for the Sun Devils and Arizona State led 56-54 with 8:12 remaining.

The Sun Devils were off and running from there. While Oregon clanked one shot off the rim after another, Remy Martin scored four consecutive points and Cheatham capped the run with a 3-point play that made it 69-54 with 4:32 to play.

The Ducks shot just 33 percent (21 of 63), 26 percent in the second half (9 of 35). Arizona State shot 51 percent overall.

Luguentz Dort scored 12, Martin 11 and Lawrence 10 for the balanced Sun Devils.

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/ncb/id/25806245

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is good to know. I'm glad the Sun Devils do not have this distinction.

You will likely get to see this for yourself tonight. The biggest issue is the guys who take the bulk of the 3's for UCLA, Wilkes and Hands, are both shooting about 30%, and under 30 in the last 10 games or so. When they fired Alford they decided to "push it" on offense which has increased scoring but also turnovers and has led to some terrible shooting performances. I don't know why everyone doesn't play UCLA the same way, don't crash the offensive boards drop back and play zone, and aggressively go after the ball. USC played them exactly how I would and dominated the 2nd half.

This is the worst shooting UCLA team I can remember in a long time

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will likely get to see this for yourself tonight. The biggest issue is the guys who take the bulk of the 3's for UCLA, Wilkes and Hands, are both shooting about 30%, and under 30 in the last 10 games or so. When they fired Alford they decided to "push it" on offense which has increased scoring but also turnovers and has led to some terrible shooting performances. I don't know why everyone doesn't play UCLA the same way, don't crash the offensive boards drop back and play zone, and aggressively go after the ball. USC played them exactly how I would and dominated the 2nd half.

This is the worst shooting UCLA team I can remember in a long time

I will try to catch part of the game after the Suns game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well you saw half of it, UCLA actually shot abnormally well from 3 for about 2/3 of the game but again 10-21 on FT's and so many misses point blank.

I have to say I don't know why ASU isn't more consistent, I guess it's the lack of depth I don't know. You don't have a pure C but White is so strong he does the job anyways. Cheatam is terrific, Dort while coming back to earth is really good, I like Edwards and Lawrence. Cherry is very skilled and seems to have settled down from his HS days when he was a disruptive force on the team. I guess it comes down to Remy Martin when he's playing smart as opposed to when he's taking bad shots.

You could tell how hyped up he was last night, UCLA semi recruited him, of course everyone wanted Bagley and Riley on that team and allegedly neither one of them liked playing with Remy so that might have been why UCLA didn't recruit him harder. He was terrific last night save a few bad shots.

I thought you guys had the best team in the OOC, I suppose it's Dort's play falling off that has made you less consistent.

Anyways I hope you guys beat USC next.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well you saw half of it, UCLA actually shot abnormally well from 3 for about 2/3 of the game but again 10-21 on FT's and so many misses point blank.

I have to say I don't know why ASU isn't more consistent, I guess it's the lack of depth I don't know. You don't have a pure C but White is so strong he does the job anyways. Cheatam is terrific, Dort while coming back to earth is really good, I like Edwards and Lawrence. Cherry is very skilled and seems to have settled down from his HS days when he was a disruptive force on the team. I guess it comes down to Remy Martin when he's playing smart as opposed to when he's taking bad shots.

You could tell how hyped up he was last night, UCLA semi recruited him, of course everyone wanted Bagley and Riley on that team and allegedly neither one of them liked playing with Remy so that might have been why UCLA didn't recruit him harder. He was terrific last night save a few bad shots.

I thought you guys had the best team in the OOC, I suppose it's Dort's play falling off that has made you less consistent.

Anyways I hope you guys beat USC next.

After the Suns game my family wanted the televisions back. LOL

I must say when ASU was down 27-10 it didn't look very encouraging.

Winning at Pauley Pavilion alone was huge.

Appreciate the insight Russ.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Man... if ASU can just be an average shooting team, they would be a serious force in the PAC 12.
They should be stomping USC tonite, but their shooting is beyond pathetic!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Early congrats on your victory tonight. Brandon Williams is out and Chase Jeter is on a minutes count

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This ASU team is absolutely embarrassing offensively... They miss more shots inside 5 feet than any team I can remember... Its ludicrous...

Defense has been what has kept this team afloat, but who tonight they are over rotating and flat...

Bottom line, a loss tonight and Arizona St tourney hopes will be all but over

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Heading into tonight's game the Sun Devils were tied for #237 in the nation in FG % and Adjusted FG %...

The two teams they are tied with? UT Martin and James Madison...

It's ridiculous and in many ways we are a LOT worse of a TEAM this year despite having arguably more talent...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose