Vance Joseph is DC

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Elway is horrible. Defense wasn't the problem in Denver. Elway has destroyed that team

Very true. Just heard interview Bickley and Marotta had with Denver Broncos radio announcer (forgot his name). Ha said that the defense improved under Joseph and the problem was the offense especially the qb position. He liked Jospeh and thought Cards players would really like him. Felt he was really a good defense coach and a good hire for the Cards.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
Broncos had 6 sacks on Russell Wilson this year. Shut down Mahomes for 2.5 quarters on Monday Night Football before he went into Superman mode to squeak out a close win over them.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
one year dc ...not good imho

I would have taken Greg Williams or Jack Del Rio easily before I took Vance

He simply doesn't have the experience IMO

Greg Williams has years and years of experience and his defenses all dominate and are FEARED...shoot look what he did in 1 season with the Browns....that D was GOOD.

Jack Del Rio - again another guy who's been a DC for years and a HC and been successful at every stop along the way.

Vance - one year DC, good then straight to HC - total failure ...not getting it. Seems like they just saw that dude was a HC and he should be a good DC.....I wish we could know what makes him 'the guy' more than Greg or Jack.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The 46-year old Joseph is a 20-year coaching veteran, including 14 seasons in the NFL with San Francisco (2005-10), Houston (2011-13), Cincinnati (2014-15), Miami (2016) and Denver (2017-18). He has 12 years of coaching experience on the defensive side of the ball in the NFL, including working as defensive coordinator with Miami in 2016. Notes on Joseph’s coaching career follow below:

• In Joseph’s initial season with the Broncos in 2017, Denver had the NFL’s #3 ranked defense and joined Minnesota as the only teams in the NFL that season to rank in the top-5 in both run defense and pass defense. The Broncos ranked #5 in run defense in ’17 after finishing the previous year ranked #28 in that category.
  • In 2018, the Broncos defense ranked in the top-10 in the NFL in INTs (17), takeaways (28) and sacks (44). Rookie linebacker Bradley Chubb – Denver’s first round selection in the 2018 NFL Draft – led all NFL rookies with 12.0 sacks last season. Pro Bowl linebacker Von Miller had 14.5 sacks, tied for fourth in the NFL last season. Denver was one of three teams (Seattle, Kansas City) to have two players record double digit sacks in 2018.
  • Joseph’s teams have ranked in the top-10 in interceptions in four of the past five seasons.
  • In a stretch from 2011 to 2016, which spanned jobs in Houston, Cincinnati and Miami, Joseph’s teams made the postseason five times in six seasons.
  • During his two seasons as defensive backs coach with Cincinnati (2014-15), the Bengals defense led the NFL with 41 interceptions. Cincinnati was the only team to post more interceptions than touchdowns allowed (36) during that two-year stretch while holding opposing QBs to the lowest combined passer rating (77.4) in the NFL.
  • Four different defensive backs earned a combined five Pro Bowl selections – Jonathan Joseph (2), Reggie Nelson (1), Adam Jones (1) and Walt Harris (1) – during Joseph’s time coaching defensive backs in San Francisco, Houston and Cincinnati.
  • In his first season as defensive backs coach with Houston, the Texans defense went from being ranked #32 in passing yards allowed in 2010 to ranked #3 in passing yards allowed in 2011. Houston also allowed an NFL-low 51.9 completion percentage that year.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I think we should look at coordinators with head coaching experience to help guide Kliff. This is a good hire.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the idea of a young aggressive defense coordinator. He will want to do good so he has another chance to be a HC. He has some solid players back to build and will put us in a 3-4 again which will help. I think he will work well with KK.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hope he wasn’t calling the plays in Denver because I’ve seen some questionable calls on defense like the 3rd and forever against KC and Mahomes theew a bomb for a first down because of msn to man

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, if VJ can get Reddick's ass through the eye of a needle, then it's all good.