Cardinals reportedly close to deal with Steve Sarkisian to be offensive coordinator

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If his past issue are behind him, the sure. He wasn't the issue in Atlanta last year.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a previous article:

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/kliff-kingsbury-gets-started-as-cardinals-head-coach

Kingsbury will call plays – expected, but he still acknowledged it Wednesday – but said he’d like an offensive coordinator that “will be somebody that will come in and help me mesh some of my ideas with some traditional things that they have done in the NFL.”

“(He will) be a great leader of men and be able to handle a room,” Kingsbury added. “Help me install different things.”

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
what I like about this:

know how both levels work --

so if the task is adapting the Air-Raid to the NFL, he is a guy with hands on experience on both

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This confirms that the Cards will go 7-9 next season

#SevenWinSark

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sark sucks, but he’s not calling the plays so it’s whatever.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
This is actually a smart choice for the Air Raid install...

Sark palyed for LaVell Edwards & Norm Chow @ BYU, it was that playbook that Hal Mumme and Mike Leach used as the basis of the offense. The concepts should be very familiar to Sark and should assist him in blending the CKK's offense with the realities of NFL defenses.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This is actually a smart choice for the Air Raid install...

Sark palyed for LaVell Edwards & Norm Chow @ BYU, it was that playbook that Hal Mumme and Mike Leach used as the basis of the offense. The concepts should be very familiar to Sark and should assist him in blending the CKK's offense with the realities of NFL defenses.
Norm Chow. Now there's a blast from the past. I remember when people were pimping him for the Cards HC job.

Maybe next time I'm out in Arizona, I'll have a beer with Sark and Keim :D.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
He's got some pro style background and can give Kliff some good help at blending college ideas into the NFL. Hopefully Sark has cleaned up the off-field stuff in his life. Don't need that impacting the job he does in Arizona.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn’t be ecstatic with Sarkisian being signed, but on the other hand, I guess we need to find the positives. First, the Falcons’ offense has not been as bad as some posters indicate. Matt Ryan has played well both year under Sarkisian, and the receiving corps has been good as well. Second, I feel like a lot of the criticism stems from Sarkisian’s time as offensive coordinator the last two years, but he won’t call plays with the Cardinals. Third, he has been at some of the biggest college-programs, and each place he did well.

I don’t know. I would certainly have chosen someone else, but I am not that negative about this hiring. I don’t think Sarkisian is that bad of a coach.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don’t really know how to take this. The candidates named so far are just OK to me. That being said KK will be calling the shots at the end of the day, and the OC will help strategize and formulate a game plan that will morph college and NFL concepts. More of a sounding board to me

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Lets not forget...whatever coach comes in as oc has to be able to design an nfl offense using air raid philosophies while also being willing to surrender play calling duties.
So the ego has to let the guy design an offense and playbook while allowing k2 to get all the credit for gameday success on the field.
Not just any coach is going to be willing to step into that position.

I would prefer mcadoo....but would he be willing to be so behind the scenes?

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think K2 needs another innovative mind to exchange ideas with, preferably one that has NFL experience. Hopefully Sarkisian can fill that role.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk