Revealing interview from M. Bidwill on the radio

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
http://arizonasports.com/category/podcast_player/?a=353861&sid=1005&n=Burns+&+Gambo

If you missed it yesterday - it's worth a listen. Interesting to hear how frustrated he was with the 4-3 system Wilks was running last year and how he was misusing players.

with each interview, some nuggets are starting to come out -- this was one

you can hear the frustration in his voice when he was talking about Buccanon

ever the optimist:

I think he demonstrated that he is hands on, but not meddling

he didn't like the move to the 4-3. I think some owners would have demanded (at some point) a move back to the 3-4 (i.e. meddling) but Mike B let Wilks try to make something of it.

When Wilks couldn't, he let him go. That's hands on.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to respect any man who steps up, accepts responsibility and admits he made a mistake. The KK hire is great . The KK hiring sucks. WHO REALLY KNOWS? I simply love conviction. We identified our guy and signed him. Much like McVay and Nagy who both generated a lot of questioning when they were hired. Even if it’s wrong I can live with this decision. It’s not like we were waiting for the last guy off the boat which is what it kind of felt like last year. At no time last year were we relevant. We are now!

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why is Bidwill talking about 3-4/4-3, who is not dressed to play in season etc.

Hire a culture setting GM and Coach combo and go count your Benjamins.

This is a worrying trend if you are a Cardinals fan.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sometimes he speaks as a fan. Say what you want but he certainly is being transparent.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly can't ever remember Mike B. sounding so frustrated as when he talked about Buc/Reddick and the unwillingness to adjust scheme.
i think he shouldnt talk about last year cause a lot was on him
reddick and bucannon are not good players right now plain and simple
u can probably refer to chandler jones about adjusting and probably was more effective as 3/4 linebacker

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
You have to respect any man who steps up, accepts responsibility and admits he made a mistake. The KK hire is great . The KK hiring sucks. WHO REALLY KNOWS? I simply love conviction. We identified our guy and signed him. Much like McVay and Nagy who both generated a lot of questioning when they were hired. Even if it’s wrong I can live with this decision. It’s not like we were waiting for the last guy off the boat which is what it kind of felt like last year. At no time last year were we relevant. We are now!

I will be more impressed if Bidwill learned some humility.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Agreed.

If the man knows some much about football and reading people then how does 2018 happen?

Again, the man's hubris will his downfall.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
At least Michael admitted the mistake in hiring Wilks & moved on quickly.

My problem is that Michael & Keim deserve a lot of blame as well. Why didn’t Bidwill & Keim as Wilks during the interview process he wanted to switch to a 4-3 defense? That’s on them!!! Michael acted like he didn’t know the defense was switching philosophy by his words when asked about it. It should’ve been one of the first questions imo.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

My problem is that Michael & Keim deserve a lot of blame as well. Why didn’t Bidwill & Keim as Wilks during the interview process he wanted to switch to a 4-3 defense? That’s on them!!! Michael acted like he didn’t know the defense was switching philosophy by his words when asked about it. It should’ve been one of the first questions imo.

If you remember, Wilks clearly said on numerous occasions early on that the Cardinals wouldn't be moving to a 3-4.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bidwill wants to win. Wants to win badly from all his actions. The best way is hire the right people and get out of their way. Don't tell/say to football people how to football.

How is this different from Jerry Jones ?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He did mention that Wilks claim to be able to adjust back to a 3-4 if need be but didn’t wouldn’t or couldn’t.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Males you wonder how Wilks was hired. This 4-3 3-4 stuff and coordinators should have been addressed in the interviews.

Who was left in consideration other than Wilks that did not get hired as an HC elsewhere?
There are two ways a new HC might seek to build a team:

1. Put together a structurally sound offense and defense and hope the players are good enough to execute within that system (Wilks?)

2. Take an aggressive creative explosive approach centered around a cluster of exceptional athletes who can make that system work. (Kingsbury?)

We know that #1 (the Wilks experiment) didn't work so well (overall talent across the board not good enough). We have to hope that Approach #2 (Air Raid) will have enough talent, explosion and creativity to make us a playoff contender.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
This is what I remember Wilks saying:

“If it’s not broke, don’t worry about trying to fix it.”

Those were Steve Wilks’ words on Tuesday when the Cardinals’ new head coach not only was asked about the state of the team’s defense, but the unspoken concerns many in and around the organization might have had about his plans for a unit that has finished ranked among the NFL’s very best each of the past three years.

Wilks, after all, ran a 4-3 base defense as defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers last season. The Cardinals, meanwhile, have run a 3-4 defense since 2007 and have enjoyed plenty of success with it. During his introductory news conference, Wilks said he doesn’t plan to tear things up and start over with an entirely new defensive philosophy or scheme.

“You said it – we’ve been pretty good around here for a while,” he said. “I think one of the things you have to do, you evolve each and every year. Even back in Carolina, we tried to evolve each and every year. So, you’re going to evaluate the roster. You’re going to look at certain things that we did well, things we need to improve on, and try and make corrections in that fashion.

“I think the personnel is there. Again, someone asked me before about a 3-4, 4-3 (system). I’ve coached in both systems, and most importantly, once again, we’re not going to change too much."

Last edited:

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bidwill wants to win. Wants to win badly from all his actions. The best way is hire the right people and get out of their way. Don't tell/say to football people how to football.

How is this different from Jerry Jones ?

I think the facts suggest he did just that. He let Wilks do his thing, didn’t interfere and then replaced him.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
It really seems to me that Wilks sold Keim and MB on a bill of goods that he would stick with a 3-4, then changed his mind. Who knows...

would love to know the truth behind this

1. maybe Wilks sold the "system" vs "scheme" talk during the interview process --- but even then, shouldn't your GM observe that Wilks spent the last X years running a 4-3...…?

2. Maybe Mike B made a call on HC over Keim's warnings on the 4-3 move. If true, then its a reason why Keim was kept.

3. Maybe Wilks was upfront about a move to a 4-3 and Keim / Mike B were totally good on it. Now that it didn't work, that's all forgotten. Wouldn't be the first CEO to have some self-serving revisionist history.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bidwill sounded pissed about Buc & Reddick been benched.

Oh yes the super talented duo
What a bad decision benching those all pro players
But does bidwill know that journeyman Bynes was far better then each of them?