ASU Basketball 2018/2019

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA talent is nice but with the one and done days we live in... I want guys like this to play a few years.

I agree. It would be nice if the Sun Devils can keep Dort around a few years. Unfortunately one and done is very attractive when the scouts get the word out.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I really like Dort but his shot is ugly. He scores most of his points around the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Big test tomorrow night.
We’ll find out how good they really are.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Big test tomorrow night.
We’ll find out how good they really are.

Their final 5 games to wrap up 2018 are all tough tests!

- Nevada
- Georgia
- Vanderbilt
- Kansas
- Princeton

Gonna be very interesting to see if they can hold up against that lineup of top-tier teams... And then they open up Pac-12 play on Jan 3rd against Utah...

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tough loss to Nevada after leading by 12 at the half. Still, ASU should finish in the top-5 of the Pac-12. The Suns could use Dort this year. The kid can play.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I thought the officiating was terrible. Look at the PF difference. ASU lost its loose ball hustle in the second half.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think right now ASU is the best team in the conference. If they get Edwards healthy, and if Cherry's ankle and knee are ok they are very dangerous. I still don't get how you lost last night the game was totally in ASU's control, and then it wasn't. Nevada was making a run, Porter had that huge block which led to a 3 point play, Dort got a dunk and then the wheels totally fell off, 6 and a half minutes with ASU only scoring 4 points from 48 to 52 and that did it.

I think the Pac 12 is wide open, Oregon has not been as good as expected, UCLA clearly has holes, UW is good but lacks offense. If ASU can get and stay healthy they could win it

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think right now ASU is the best team in the conference. If they get Edwards healthy, and if Cherry's ankle and knee are ok they are very dangerous. I still don't get how you lost last night the game was totally in ASU's control, and then it wasn't. Nevada was making a run, Porter had that huge block which led to a 3 point play, Dort got a dunk and then the wheels totally fell off, 6 and a half minutes with ASU only scoring 4 points from 48 to 52 and that did it.

I think the Pac 12 is wide open, Oregon has not been as good as expected, UCLA clearly has holes, UW is good but lacks offense. If ASU can get and stay healthy they could win it

One game at a time. Last night would have gone a long way towards legitimizing this team nationally and the next handful of games will be a challenge. I just remember last year when the Devils entered conference play.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU is going to have to be better at the free throw line. If they can make 80% of their free throws, plus not turn the ball over as much as they did last night, they will be tough to beat.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought the officiating was terrible. Look at the PF difference. ASU lost its loose ball hustle in the second half.
That and they gave up some uncharacteristic offensive rebounds. Hats off to Nevada though, they are a really good, veteran team. They could make a deep run in March.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are ASU and San Francisco going to make up the game that was postponed due to the smoke from the fires? A win over San Francisco would look really good come March.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dort clutch down the stretch. Finally big time, legal, college basketball in this state.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devils get a nice comeback win over Georgia on the road. This team has nice depth.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yes, looking very good, so far. Let's just hope Hurley has really fixed the depth and size problems that caused them to crash once the conference season started last year.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another year...another upset of top-ranked Kansas.

Here's to doing better with the rest of this season than we did last year...

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many lay ups did we miss today? A really disappointing effort.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugly loss to Utah
These losses since the Kansas game have been brutal. I have no idea why we, especially Dort, are just flat out blowing layups and point blank shots at alarming rates. These should have been easy wins. Hell, we couldve beat Kansas more comfortably.

We cannot lose to Colorado today.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These losses since the Kansas game have been brutal. I have no idea why we, especially Dort, are just flat out blowing layups and point blank shots at alarming rates. These should have been easy wins. Hell, we couldve beat Kansas more comfortably.

We cannot lose to Colorado today.

I know very little about basketball but I have felt for years this avoidance of using the backboard for things has been a for cause to the misses of layups and put backs.

This team needs to string together done wins starting now.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know very little about basketball but I have felt for years this avoidance of using the backboard for things has been a for cause to the misses of layups and put backs.

This team needs to string together done wins starting now.

* old man rant*

I know. It drives me crazy how they dont use the glass nowadays. As an undersized post player I used it all the time. I would use glass on medium shots as well. I wasnt awesome, but I did make second team All City my senior year. But this was pounded into my brain by my coaches to go glass, and use my wide body to keep taller guys off my shooting hand.

But, that's not the game now analytics says jack up 3 pointers or drive to the rim. Hell, it's getting rarer and rarer to see guys who can actually play on the block anymore.

* old man rant over *

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This team is a really bad shooting team. And when on offense, there is zero flow and limited ball movement...
And against Utah, they completely crapped the bed on defense. It looked like they were tired as the effort on defense was pathetic. Utah has wide open looks from midway thru the first half thru the rest of the game - and the Utes made the Devils pay big time...
Dort has looked pedestrian since getting off to such a great start to the season. And Remy Martin annoys the hell out of me. He’s always, like ALWAYS out of control, takes stupid shots and causes way too many turnovers...
For some reason, White and Lake disappear for long stretches... as do Lawrence, Cherry and Cheatham.. Rob Edwards is now their most consistent scorer... and that’s not saying much.